N.H. Hupp in FL.

Hupp36

Brought  my  1929  Hupp  Model  A to  Fl hoping to  trade it  for  my  friends 1932 Hupp  Model S.  IThe model S  is  pretty much  original,  I love  original cars.I  will post a pic of  the  Model  S  if  I  can  strike a deal.Here is  a pic of  my  1929  Hup.

1929Hupp 001.JPG

1929Hupp 002.JPG

Took  the  Hupp out  for  a ride in  80 deg  weather.  Did not  steam  but  got  too  hot  for  me .Before we  came  down to  FL,  I  took a  radiator up to  Auburn Me  to  L&A radiator shop  and  had  them clean  and  flow  check  it.. I  decided to swap them  yesterday . Took it  out  for  a test  run  at  80 deg. It  buy the  heat  gage  which is  brand  new got  just under 160 deg. I  have  full  confidence that  the  over  heat  problem is  solved. Selling  a  car  to anyone ,  I  had  to  be  sure it  was  OK.

• Like 1

The  real  test for   my 1929  Hupp  is   to  go  to  see a fellow  who  restores  Pierce  Arrows  to  see if  he  can make  some  new bushings to  replace  the  pot metal  bushings in the  steering  column of the  Pierce I  could  make  the  new bushings but I  do not  have  a machine  shop down  here  at  my  disposal as I  do have in  N.H. The  trip will be  42 miles  round  trip..If  the  trip is  successful,  we  will  more  than  likely do the  trade.

I had to weld something on the shaft to serve as a stop to keep the bearing from falling all the way in and I had to grind some of the lower cage to get it in. You need the shaft sixe and the ID of the column and if you are lucky they might make one that fits. Good luck.

Back  to the  Hupp  First, my  friend thought  that  may  be  that  the  fan belt may  be  slipping. Got  a new  fan belt. I  kept  looking  at the  fan  and  thought that the  pitch  was  not  very  aggressive.  It  just  so  happened that I  have  another Hupp  here. Its  a 1931  Hupp model S. Checking  the  fan  showed  me  that  the  pitch  was  more  aggressive. Installed it on the  1929  A.  Ran it  at  idle  for  20  min. Temp  was  80  deg. out side temp. The  gage  went  to  158 Deg. in side the  car. Will  take  it  for  a ride  tomorrow to  see if that  will  solve the  over  heat  problem.  

Talked with my  friend  yesterday and he is thinking of  having the Model  S upholstery done over and some  chrome  plating  done. He  said  that  he is  going to  keep the  S  no  trade. After  I  have  fixed the  over  heat  problem  with  the  A,  I  will  go to  some  Fl  shows  and  hopefully  sell it. Then  I  will be  able  to  finish  the  1926  Ajax.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Friday went  for  coffee to my  friends  house about  8 miles  from  my  house. The  heat  gauge never  got  to  160 deg. Same  way on the  way  home. This  morning  went to  breakfast  with the  coffee  gang 16  miles  round  trip. Looked  at the  outside  temp  on the  in side,  ,out side thermometer wow,  90  deg out.Car temp  under  160 on the  trip. After thinking  about  the  1931 Model  S  chassis I  remembered that  the  engine  splash pans had  louvers in  them.I  think  the  Hupp engineer's had  an  idea to  let  the  hot  air  out of the  engine  compartment  via  these  louvers. I  am  going to  either louver the  one  on the  1929 Hupp A  or  install the  ones  off the  Model  s.  See pic.Hupp model  S Engine  Splash  pan 001.JPG

Chuck, I'm delighted that you seem to have resolved your overheating problem, but I believe that cars of that vintage NEED to run at about 160* to minimize acidic oil contamination.  Our OIL temperature needs to be high enough to permit some of the normal by-products of combustion to vaporize and thus exit the crankcase.  OIL temperature is definitely affected by coolant temperature.

If my cars maintained 160* at a run at 90* ambient temps, I'd be thrilled!  As a rule of thumb, I *expect* running at cruising speed temps on hot days to be 100* over ambient--that is, I'd be expecting 190* on a 90* day.

So I am puzzled by your desire to remove even more hot air from your engine compartment by adding louvers.

Are you running a thermostat?  Do you have a t'stat controlling radiator shutters?  Or a poppet-style t'stat?  I'm not a fan of the old ether-filled stats in non-shutter systems, and I convert to either modern poppet stats or use an in-the-upper-radiator-hose 160* stat from Restoration Supply. The latter are sized for a 1.5-inch upper hose, but you can make an adapter from a very short length of stick hose to fit a larger diameter upper hose.

My experience with dust/splash pans is that they are an essential part of the cooling system.  My usual problem has been overheating while driving slowly such as in parades, because with pans the car needs to achieve some speed (i.e., 25-30 mph)  to create a vacuum to pull hot air out of the engine compartment.

George, thank  you  for  you input,  I  may  be  trying  too much to get the  car  running  cooler.I  think I should  run it  for  a while as the  engine  rebuild   has  only  about  200 miles  on it. I  just  need to  know  that  when  i sell this  car  that  the  new  owner  will  get  a  car  he  or  she  can  use. Cars  are  made to  drive and  have  fun  with. I  again  want  to  thank  you  and  the  members  that  have  helped  me  with  this  problem. Its great  to  have  such  a  sounding board  as the AACA Forum.  PS, I still have to  work on the  27  Pierce  Arrow now  that  the Hupp  is ok.

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well  we  will  see what the  New  Year brings,  going to  Sumter Antique Car swap  meet.  Hoping to  sell  the 29 Hupp.  It may  be  the oldest car  for  sale.I  have  had  good  luck  at  this  meet  as I  sold  my 1923 Willys  Knight  there 3  years  ago..   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The  new  owner  calls  me, the car  will not  run. the  starter  just  whirls.  I  tell  him that  the  bendix  is  broken or  a bolt  on the  bendix spring is  broke  or has  falling  out. I  go  down to  his  house and  sure  enough one  of the  bolts on the  bendix  drive  is  gone.I  replaced it  with  a  grade   8  bolt  and  start the  car. He  wants  to adopt  me. Ps,  he  still  loves  the  Hupp.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a  call  from the  new  owner,  he  is  going  to  have the  car  painted,  his  sweet  little  lady would  like  a  lighter  color. She  has  a  green  house  filled with orchids of  beautiful colors . It  is  plain to  see that she  likes  beautiful colors.   I  will post  a  pic  when  I  see the  new  paint  ..