Sign in to follow this  
John_S_in_Penna

Value of nice 1985 Riviera coupe? Unusual gold color

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

...If you have the asking price and want it, just buy it. I can't really think of regrets I have from things I did. Things I didn't do are the ones that haunt me now. And some include cars I didn't buy.

Oh, those guys that told me I paid too much; I see a couple in the diner. They drink a glass of water because $1.95 is outrageous for them to pay for coffee.

Bernie

So true -- the saying that comes to mind is "The time to buy (something) is when you see it!"

As far as gold cars are concerned, when I was looking for my '67 Riviera, I was actually hoping (but not expecting) to find a gold one, as my best friend's family had one when I was in my teens.  In fact, his parents gave it to him when they moved-up to a '69 Riviera.  I always liked the look of the Riviera Gold with the stainless rocker trim and chrome road wheels...  :rolleyes:

I have no idea about the value of this particular car or the desirability of gold cars in general, but I will say that I have more regrets about things that I didn't do than things that I did.  Hell, I still regret not buying a 57 Eldorado for $700 35 years ago.

There's also opportunity cost to be considered.  If this is truly a rare car you may have to wait a while until you find a "better" deal.  Meanwhile, that's a lot of time you spent without the car that you want. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 10:04 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Style-wise they are great. Something fun, if you get a chance, is to get out of the Riviera and sit in a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow or Bentley T. The Brit one came out in 1966, the Buick in 1979. You can do it with an Eldorado as well.

Bernie

Bernie, do you like the Silver Shadows and Bentley Ts? . 

16 hours ago, Paul K. said:

I have owned a few gold cars and they have been hard to sell. However, when the time comes, they eventually sell and its won't be like you own a fleet of them.

Personally I feel this is a $5k car. Maybe 6k max. Why? 

1. Color. Maybe if that retro 70s Buyer comes along they will step

up but most people don't like gold. Maybe you are that 70s guy. I like gold but I make sure I buy them right because everything I own eventually I sell to recycle the $ and keep my hobby going. Never selling my Rivy. Owned since '81.

2. Location. This car is not in a convenient location. Unless he markets correctly,  he won't have many bites. His price will go down as time passes.  Good buying season now with the holidays approaching. Cash talks. 

3.  And this is my biggest reason for my 5k desk appraisal. Miles. They are too high for the price. Yes it's low mileage Overall and for its  age but it's not "ultra low" and that is the kind of price he is asking. Mileage in the 70k range still seems fresh but when it turns to 80k then it's an old car. Not really but perception is reality for many. This car is not allow a lot of use without affecting its value dramatically. But if this car had 30

or 40 k,  its owner could put on 10 or 20k miles and not take too big Of a hit when it sells. 

This is is only a financial perspective. All comments about buying what you like, and not letting price get into the way or not being a cheapskate   Because it could cost you more in the end are all wise words. However, Mechanically a car of this age and mileage could have a lot of needed repairs and still appear to be fine.  Get a pre purchase inspection if you decide to buy. 

Excellent assessment Paul. Agree 100%.

11 hours ago, Paul K. said:

Bernie, do you like the Silver Shadows and Bentley Ts? . 

I can appreciate them, but I don't desire one. The Later Bentley T would be my choice and that is just a personal perception thing. I am pretty familiar with the workings and have considered the later Spur's seriously. Given a choice, a 1990 to 1994 Spur would be it. But they are getting too old to devote the time required. And more computerized than the late '80's cars.

The similarity between them and the Riviera/Eldorado cars from the driver's seat is dramatic. And I like that. I had a 1982 H&E Eldo convertible that is one of the cars I wish I had not sold. At the time I owned it I was in and out of both fairly often. The Eldo, a fake Rolex, and Tag Heuer frames for my glasses would have made a matched set.

To the topic Riviera, gold is brown in my book. And I don't like brown cars. They say resale red instead of resale brown for a reason. I go for the primary colors. Earthtones are for empty nester women with Volvos. Took 30 replies to finally get that out.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

" The Eldo, a fake Rolex, and Tag Heuer frames for my glasses would have made a matched set.

To the topic Riviera, gold is brown in my book. And I don't like brown cars. They say resale red instead of resale brown for a reason. I go for the primary colors. Earthtones are for empty nester women with Volvos. Took 30 replies to finally get that out."

Hilarious!.:lol: Too funny

Thank you FlatTop - always good ones

21 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

...To the topic Riviera, gold is brown in my book. And I don't like brown cars. They say resale red instead of resale brown for a reason. I go for the primary colors. Earthtones are for empty nester women with Volvos. Took 30 replies to finally get that out.

I know what you mean.

I used to dislike the browns, avocado greens,

and gold-browns, and greenish browns that proliferated

during the late 1960's and early 1970's.  But now, in this

day of light gray, dark gray, medium gray, white and black cars

I'm appreciating colors more than I used to.  Fad colors

go out of style, but eventually are appreciated for the era they evoke.

It's kind of nice to see something different.

• Like 1

Man, you aint lyin'.  I was on a jobsite recently, was staring out the window during break. I swear we counted 15 parked vehicles all spanned the black to white

band. Incredibly boring. And when did gold get locked in the '70's? Its was reduced in numbers but never gone away.

Bring on the guacamole and Champagne!  (Colors) :P

• Like 1

Avocado green is a relic of a past age.  Appliances, shag carpet, cars, etc.  A friend of mine used to have an avocado green boattail.  It was a car of its times.

Well, here's my conclusion:  I didn't choose the

gold 1985 Riviera, as nice as it may have been.

I agree with that 8-figure-income collector I mentioned,

and price does matter.

But I DID just buy a 1974 Cadillac Eldorado coupe which,

it happens, is in the same color family.  Its paint is called

"Victorian amber firemist," a gold-brown color.  I wasn't

looking specifically for this paint color, but Cadillac offered

21 paint colors that year.  Of the 1973-74 Eldorados offered,

it's amazing how common today red or white Eldorado convertibles are! 

This example has under 30,000 miles, but needs some mechanical

work from inactivity.  Here are pictures from Cadillac catalogues,

but I don't have any pictures of the new purchase yet.

Thankfully, it doesn't take a lot of gold to buy a gold car.

The hobby is affordable fun!

1974 Cadillac Eldorado--victorian amber 1.jpg

1974 Cadillac Eldorado--victorian amber 2.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those Eldorado Firemist colors are beautiful. Congrats on the purchase. A friend bought a 72 Eldorado with extremely low miles. Its a tremendous car. Its massive Americana. As a 20 y/o I had a loaded dark blue/white 74 Coupe Deville back in 1981. It too was a tremendous car! Big engine but as expected sluggish getting the beast moving. But you could drive cross country and feel like you went across town.

• Like 1

HERE'S THE CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE GOLD 1985 RIVIERA.

Maybe it can go to a good R. O. A. home.

"Immaculate condition, locking hubcaps, high end car cover included, 

Oldsmobile engine, vinyl top with sunroof, manufactured in Windsor

Ontario, all original!" said his ad. 

And he wrote to me, "The car is in showroom condition.  It had been

stored for approximately 6 years with the proper covering and

carpeting beneath.  It was started and ran regularly."

This Riv has 59,600 miles, the seller says--driven very little in recent years.

He wanted $8995 firm, even though his ad had said "$8995 or best offer."

And the seller is Jim Koskinen, Baraga, Michigan, phone (906) 201-2221.

It's located in Michigan's upper peninsula, far west, north of Wisconsin.

He appreciated that I would share his information with possible Riviera buyers.

1985 Buick Riviera gold--Michigan.JPG

1985 Buick Riviera gold--Michigan (3).JPG

Gorgeous Caddy, Mr. John. Congrats! I think that generation has one of the longest front ends? Just awesome IMO.

Post some pics of yours when you get time.

- I think a classic Eldo' is in my future. Retirement project! ^_^

1 hour ago, PWB said:

Gorgeous Caddy, Mr. John. Congrats! I think that generation has one of the longest front ends? Just awesome IMO.

In 1974, Eldorado coupes outnumbered convertibles by a 4:1 ratio.

Now, the convertibles are far more common.

The numbers have been entirely reversed.

They are long, sleek, and lovely cars.  Yes, the hood is long,

like the Lincoln Mark V's.   I think the Eldorado's styling in

1973 and 1974 is more graceful than the altered 1975-1978 look:

the rear fenders have a curved sweep instead of an angled notch.

But if you want a 1976 Eldo. convertible, you'll have dozens of 

low-mileage examples to choose from.

Be aware of gas mileage, Paul:  I used to have a '73 Eldorado convertible

and it would achieve 6 m.p.g. around town and 10 m.p.g. on the highway,

for a consistent average of 8.  And a "Consumer Guide" review in 1973

exactly duplicated my record of 8 m.p.g. overall.  Okay for Florida,

but not for anyone living in Sweden! 

The Eldo is a better car, better than the Riviera or the Lincoln. And it has enough engine to get it down the road respectfully. I had a '70 in Ruidoso Saddle. It had hints of maroon I liked that color.

Hey, is it me or does the Riviera match everything around it?

1985 Buick Riviera gold--Michigan (3).JPG

Even the garage...

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The Eldo is a better car, better than the Riviera or the Lincoln. And it has enough engine to get it down the road respectfully. I had a '70 in Ruidoso Saddle. It had hints of maroon I liked that color.

Hey, is it me or does the Riviera match everything around it?

Even the garage...

I'd say yes and no. Kinda like Cary Grant (Class Act) at the mountain cabin in North by Northwest.

Odd, but works! Great get away car, anyway.

tumblr_lxvykpdFRg1qmoq77o1_1280.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I'd like to hear from some Toronado owners from the late '60's.  455 cid with 400 hp.  Got to be a ride and a half.  How did the Eldorado perform next to the Toronado?  Both had 400 hp but it took 500 cid for the Caddy to produce it.

Ed

10 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'd like to hear from some Toronado owners from the late '60's.  455 cid with 400 hp.  Got to be a ride and a half.  How did the Eldorado perform next to the Toronado?  Both had 400 hp but it took 500 cid for the Caddy to produce it.

Ed

Dunno, but my uncle (who was a car nut; he used to drop Maserati engines into Corvairs ;) ) had one and said it was great.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

18 hours ago, PWB said:

I have always liked these:  http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/5864900305.html

I had both a '70 Eldorado and a '66 Toronado. I would buy another of either. They were nice drivers. The Cadillac was hard to stop on snowy roads, but in '71 they made the brakes better. It weighed 5,000 pounds and would pitch into a tight curve. Sometimes it felt like it might stand up on the outside front corner. Rear passengers felt a little closed in by the blank sail panels, a little dark back there. I got 12 MPG. It was a great car.

The Toronado was a 425. It drove very well. "66 was the only year that really keynoted the Cord. I loved the looks of the car. It drove very well. The vacuum headlights were a pain but that's all I remember not liking.

The difference between a 400+ and 500 engine under normal driving conditions is never really noticeable. Getting into a 307 or the like is when it shows. And the 307 is big by today's standards, 5 liters. They rarely go that large, and it is a little dog for anyone who grew up with torque engines. Running a 4" bore on any engine and just a nudge to the pedal gives response. All the big ones feel good.

Cadillac entered the 1970's with 472 and 500 inches, then 425, then the '80's with 250. You don't need reports from Motor Trend to figure out the good ones. Braille on the seat of the pants will do fine. I bought one 4100, but I prefer abstinence.

Bernie

On 11/22/2016 at 0:47 PM, PWB said:

The 1974 Eldorado just got delivered today.

It went directly to the mechanic's for a thorough

going-over, because it hasn't been run much in 4 years.

It will need new bumper fillers also.

Here's a picture.  The paint color can best be described as "caramel."

That color I've never seen on a Cadillac, and therefore it's more interesting to me:

Not resale red, but keep-it-and-enjoy-it gold!

1974 Eldorado--mine 4a.JPG

That is one handsome cruiser. Love the hubcaps too. Clean. Just my opinion but I don't like to see lug nuts.

I've seen the bumper fillers new on the 'net, cant remember where....

John,

Your 'new' Eldorado is just magnificent.  It is stunning in every way...! Those wheel skirts really add to it's class.

I can't vouch for this vendor but they supply the bumper fillers for your car.

'73 - '74 Eldorado Bumper Fillers

Eldorado Bumper Filler Installation

Keep us posted.  More pictures please!

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)

Thanks for the bumper-filler source, Paul.

I've printed it out and put it in my file.

Considering the body shop's scheduling, I think

my car probably won't get there until sometime in

the coming year.

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The 1974 Eldorado just got delivered today.

It went directly to the mechanic's for a thorough

going-over, because it hasn't been run much in 4 years.

It will need new bumper fillers also.

Here's a picture.  The paint color can best be described as "caramel."

That color I've never seen on a Cadillac, and therefore it's more interesting to me:

Not resale red, but keep-it-and-enjoy-it gold!

1974 Eldorado--mine 4a.JPG

I love GOOOOOLD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzH15hwt48