'29 DA taking steering wheel off

Bob Zetnick

I've got to take off my '29 DA steering wheel for restoration. I have a diagram on my Pinterest board from here that shows all the element of the steering wheel coming off, but not the wheel itself. I've got everything off, even the large nut just below the light / throttle levers. There are threads showing like I could unscrew, but doesn't seem to be working....is there a keyway?...or something else I'm not seeing to take the wheel off? Thanks!

Yes, there is a keyway, after you remove the nut holding it on, wheel should pull straight off. You may need a puller to get it off.

My steering wheel had a number of cracks that I ground out then filled with epoxy resin coloured with black cement dye, the powdered stuff that you add to concrete to make driveways, etc, black (because I had some on hand). Then sanded the whole wheel with fine wet and dry emery paper and it came up quite good after I buffed the whole thing. Only problem is the epoxy is a bit harder than the wheel, so you have to be a bit careful that you get an even finish.

Good luck.

I would try it with the large parts of the bearing puller. Put the nut on just enough to protect the ends of the column, add a little bit of flat steel to cover and pull, pushing on the flat steel. There have been wood home made pullers shown on these fora too. Maybe Taylormade's thread about Daphne?

I repaired my wheel with car body bog and had it painted. It is hard to get the paint to stick to the Bakelite because of the body oil impregnated in it.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)