Door Handle Problem

I'm in the process of getting the exterior door handles on my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL Six rechromed.  I've run into a problem with the passenger side front door handle - the only one that locks.  Paul's Chrome sent this handle back explaining I needed to have the lock cylinder removed so they could take the handle apart.  I hadn't provided them with a key and discovered that the keys I had did not fit.  After a trip to the locksmith, we determined that there wasn't a lock cylinder in the handle, just the outer piece for the key.  It must have been this way when I bought the car in 1965, and I don't honestly ever remember locking it.

Anyway, here is my problem.  This is a shot of the handle and the piece I need to remove (green circle).

IMG_7660.jpg

This piece slides back a forth so it is loose on the shaft, but it won't come off because of the tabs in the shot below.

IMG_7663.jpg

The tabs are actually just one piece that is  held in there by something I can't figure out.

Where the lock cylinder once resided I can see some slots, but can't determine just what is supposed to come out to make the removal of the trim piece possible.  Does the entire square shaft come out of the handle or....?

IMG_7657.jpg

I need to get the piece circled in photo one off before a good chrome job can be done.  Anyone out there gone through this before?  Also, if anyone has a lock cylinder or a handle with a working lock, I'd be interested in purchasing it.

Looks like someone broke out the key cylinder from the handle. I think that the little hole in the top of the cylinder is the release. By sticking a hard wire or small nail in that hole and pushing inward it may release. Sometimes you'll need a key to release it too. That may only release the outer cylinder. I wouldn't doubt that the unit is constructed integral with the shaft, looks like the assy. is peened to the shaft.

As I said, the lock cylinder was removed long ago.  When the locksmith went to remove the cylinder he discovered there was only the circular disk with a key slot and no cylinder behind it.  I tried the wire in the small hole in the part I need to remove, but it didn't seem to do anything.  I can't see how you can get the part over those projecting tabs.

The small end is inside a square metal tube and is swaged into place by four rather deep "dimples," one on each side, visible in the first two photos.  Drilling those out would pretty much ruin the unit.  I doubt even aggressive tapping would drive it out.

So would the cylindrical part (the lock housing?) come off over the squarish tube with the four dimples if the two tabs (what I am suggesting is a tapered pin) isn't there? It is hard to visualise this far away!

How is the shaft on the bottom right of the photos held to the handle? Does the cylindrical part and perhaps the squarish tube slide off over it? Or might the two tabs that I suggest is a tapered pin hold that shaft on and thus release the cylindrical part?

If that is a tapered pin as I suggest, it should drive out somewhat easily depending on how much rust is in there. It will have been driven or maybe even pressed in there. I would try supporting it all around the larger end and attempting to drive it out with a brass rod. But then I can't really see from here how it fits together.

Yes, the tabs are what's holding it on.  I can't see any way to get the tabs to recess into the square tube enough to slip the cylinder over them.  The tabs are actually one piece.  I'm at a loss as to how this all goes together.  They obviously put the trim cylinder on when they made it, so it must come off in some way.

Success, thanks to Spinneyhill's advice.  Driving the pin out did the trick.  I actually had to drive it out the opposite direction that he suggested, but it came out with a little persuading.

Here is is almost out.

IMG_7665.jpg

And the disassembled handle.

IMG_7668.jpg

My next problem will be the door latch mechanism.  The passenger side works great, but the drivers side front latch is binding badly and I can't quiet figure out what the problem is.  Anyone know how to remove the spiral spring that holds the latch open?  I need to get it off to see where the parts are binding and the force of the spring makes that difficult.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)