1949-1950 Pacakard Station Sedan

Joe Cocuzza

I am in the process of purchasing a 1950 Packard Station Sedan. It needs a few parts that are missing but is relatively complete.

I do not have any pictures yet as it is tucked in a storage unit and it is very tight. I will post pics ASAP.

In the meantime I have some questions.

The car has doors on it that are not "cut out" for the wood yet they have what looks like factory applied woodgrain. Is this possible?

I am not too concerned about this as It comes with several extra doors with the "cut out" for the wood.

It is missing the door sill plates, the rear license plate bracket and light and the upper tailgate handle. Anybody know where these can be obtained?

The wood is in good/useable condition and the interior is excellent.

It has new rocker panels welded in. It does, however, need a trunk/spare tire pan as that is rotted in the corners. Is there anyone who does sheetmetal for these cars?

Joe

Joe, nice find. As far as looking for the parts that you are missing, I would first join the National Woodie Club and place a want ad. You could also join the Packard Club but I think you would have more success with the NWC. Where are you located Joe? Some of the Packards that I have seen only have the wood "Surface Mounted" so the woodgrain might be stock.

Thanks for the reply.

I am in Stroudsburg, Pa.

This is not my 1st woody just my 1st Packard woody.

I am already a member of the NWC (Lifetime) so I will put an ad in as soon as I get the car home and see what I need.

So the wood being surface mounted can be stock from the factory. Interesting. That was my main concern.

I will post a few pics ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I got the Packard home today. Because the weather was looking threatening my son and I were forced to get it into the shed ASAP. Hence the crummy pictures.

As you can see the wood on the doors is attached in a "non-original" fashion. On the passenger side there is no wood attached except around the window frames. Someone took regular sedan doors and attached this wood to them. As I said before I have the 4 original doors plus 3 extra station sedan ones. When the weather gets nice again (March - April) I will try to get it started and go from there.

I do have the upper and lower tailgate sections and I am planning on making them my winter project. I am taking them to the basement where I will sand and varnish them.

As is the case with most of these cars the trunk pan area is rotted. This was due to there being no rain gutter over the rear tailgate. So water leaked into the trunk area (even when the cars were new) and the sheetmetal didn't fair too well. But great news. Today I received the new trunk floor pan I ordered.

Oh yeah. The guy who towed it for me says to me after he unloaded it in my driveway that he was interested in buying it. Apparently he really liked it.

Joe

DSCF4838.JPG

DSCF4839.JPG

DSCF4840.JPG

DSCF4841.JPG

DSCF4842.JPG

DSCF4844.JPG

DSCF4843.JPG