Sad News for LZOC...

ezdusit

It is with a heavy heart that I pass on this email that I received this past weekend from LZOC President, Tom Brunner.  Our club has suffered a great loss...

David L. Cole, U.S. military, retired, passed away Friday, November 11, 2016, Veteran's Day.  His contributions to his family, his country, and the automotive publishing profession will endure as long as the printed word is available to those who value the history of the 20th century.  He was preceded in death by his beloved wife Barbara Bruce Cole, and is survived by his children Elaine, Richard,and Kathleen.

His pronouncements on products and services of the Ford Motor Company, particularly Lincoln and Ford vehicles, were complete and exhaustively studied, yet sweeping and objective in their scope.  He wrote for numerous publications throughout his storied career, most prominently The Way of the Zephyr, and the V-8 Times, serving the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club and Early Ford V-8 Club respectively.  Dave began editing the Zephyr magazine with 1988 issues and continued to oversee publication until November 10, 2016.  His knowledge about Lincoln and Ford production in the classic era was encyclopedic, and mostly committed to memory,  although he collected a trove of material that would easily provide sufficient source material for the next 50 years.  This material at some point will be donated to the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation Library.

Yet, he carried a softer side.  He was extremely approachable to both the long-time devotee, and the newest convert.  As well, Dave was very devoted to his family.  He counted the opportunity to edit The Way of the Zephyr with the support of his son Richard one of the great privileges of his life.

By chance, the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club--West held its Annual Swap Meet in Dave's hometown, Santa Maria, California, Saturday November 12th.  During that event Dave's three children and the attendees sat in a large circle sharing their favorite stories.  Amid the laughter and tears, the personality of the man described above was sketched by the participants.  Dave was emphatic that there be no public service on his behalf, but this session served as a reminder of what he has meant to each of us.

Tom Brunner
President

I met Dave in 1964 when I was a defense contractor at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

I had just purchased a 1947 Continental coupe (still have it) and had just joined the LCOC. (LZOC didn't exist at that time).

Dave's wife, Barbara, was born at the same hospital as I was, in Schenectady, New York.  We had a lot in common.

Defense contractors (being migrant workers) don't stay at any location very long, but I tried to attend as many of the Santa Maria LZOZ swap meets as I was able to. We now live in Texas and the trip to Santa Maria is a "Fur Piece"!

Dave's contributions to several of the "collector car" publications will be sorely missed.

He was a GOOD friend!!!

Edited by Phil Knapp
correct a date (see edit history)

I first met Dave briefly in early 73 In Angola Indiana at the LCOC meet, kind of my Lincoln Awakening, with Tom Mauder and  J.D.Blanchard,  

and I am pleased to say he was a "40" man as well..I was thrilled to receive his blessing on the color change to my convert top, from tan to black, like his, with the red piping which he reassured me was correct.  I had a nice chat with him at Hickory Corners during the Foundation Meet 2 years ago, studying Lynch's beautiful Cabriolet..

Godspeed Mr Cole...and thank you for your hard work and dedication! 

I first met Dave( by way of a letter )  about 1987 when I was starting my  '36-'38 LZ generator  pulley cover project. If you would write a note  to Dave

about anything, you would receive a neat, single spaced letter; perhaps 2 pages.  I have kept all of his letters.  Dave and Barb visited our home in

Finksburg Md. ,perhaps 1992 or 1993 ; on their way back from Hershey PA. Dave wanted to take pictures of my '38 Conv. Coupe while

it was apart and details could be noted. That afternoon was very enjoyable.  I enjoyed EVERY issue of TWOZ  that Dave put together. The club and

the auto hobby have surely lost a great historian. Godspeed  Dave

How sad to hear this news.  What a wealth of knowledge.  We talked and corresponded for several years. Dave was always happy to help me in whenever I had a question about color, style or correctness. He was a fine editor, politely changing my few articles I submitted to flow better and be grammatically correct.  He will be greatly missed.

Dave was very kind and showed much patience with me (a V-12 newbee) a couple of years ago when I bought my Zephyr.  Truly one of the most knowledgeable Lincoln men on Earth.  He will be missed.   

This is news I have been dreading, knowing Dave has been getting on in years and that he is an irreplaceable emissary for our cars. I encountered him at many of our LZOC West meets, including the Lodi GOF where he pointed out my bumper was mounted upside-down. Just a few weeks ago I sent him some information for use in Way of the Zephyr. Dave and his "Chief Indian" son Richard have produced what I believe to be the highest quality vintage car club magazine in the nation, and they have been a cohesive force and largely responsible for maintaining interest in the marque. Long will you be remembered for your decades of dedication, Dave.