evaporator box

cords

This is a difficult question to answer.  Obviously no more of them are being made.  Not many were ever made.  And finding one is not that easy.  But what is your overall plan?  If you plan to set up an original A/C system then it may be worth one thing.  If you plan to go aftermarket it may have no value.  Besides, just the box, even if it includes the evaporator, is only a small part of the system. This part will be sitting on the shelf for a while until other parts are sourced and acquired.  Only you can decide if the cost is worth the asking price.

I have had the same thing with my mopars, the question is not is it worth the money, its is it worth the money to you?

Right now, you have available to you a genuine evaporator, the questions are, do you want it? how long until another one comes up? Will it hold up your build or how you want the car?

If you really want it and they don't come available much, snap it up, if its not hard to find and they come up every so often, then wait and see what prices are like

Myself, I am one of those that search daily for parts when I am in repair/restore mode and if its good and I want/need it, then I buy it, then I have it and don't need to worry about it anymore

• Like 2

Many good points have been mentioned, plus a few reality-based comments.  Price?  Always a personal judgment call.  Availability?  Limited numbers of potential donor vehicles.  Condition and inclusions?  ALWAYS important.

In many respects, having an OEM-spec a/c system where it didn't come on the particular vehicle can be problematic for the potential buyer.  A huge degree of "trust" and due diligence of determination (in an area where knowing what one's looking at CAN be very important!).  Certainly, we can presume the vehicle's seller did everything they could to get the best-available parts and then make them all work together.  Worst case scenario?  It looks correct and is NOT, for the particular model year of vehicle.  In some respects, it might be better to do an even possibly rarer installation of an aftermarket Novi system (in the trunk) OR adapt an under-dash 1960s system to an "in-trunk", out of sight other than the ducts, system.  Many of those parts are still around for the Ford "factory a/c" under-dash units from about 1964 or so, I suspect.  Another issue can be ready and available supply of possibly reasonably-priced parts!

I haven't seen or experienced one of the several aftermarket "hidden" hvac systems, which normally use the "replica" controls.  I'm not sure how quiet they are compared to the later 1960s factory systems, for example, or if they're capable of being in a '56 Buick as well as they allegedly are for a '56 Chevrolet.  If their all-season performance is great, that's even better!  Just, to me, use an a/c compressor with a GM BACKPLATE (there are over 20 different back plates for a Sanden a/c compressor, one of which is the factory 1970s GM configuration for a factory look and function) with factory hose configuration!  Or an upgrade to the later Denso A-6 look/replacement a/c compressor (a Lexus application, I believe, new for about $350.00 or so).

Certainly, there are several ways to approach adding a/c to an older vehicle of the 1950s.  Many can be somewhat incognito and use more modern components for better performance with modern refrigerants.  Just depends upon if complete originality is desired or something close to that.

NTX5467

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

While you are asking someone else could be buying that part.

B

At $500 us +25%excange rate+$100 shipping 

we are looking at about $725 Australian

so again $500 us is a bit over the top 

but if anyone else wants it it's in Ebay 

was my thinking as well

considering I missed a full system for around the $600 mark I figured it was a bit rich

was really only after an opinion

think I might just adapt something late model and make use of the original controls as I like the look of them