success in removing head

Guest j.Illeney

Guest j.Illeney

Has anyone besides me worked on a 1914 ish model 25 engine ? -finally got the 3 broken exhaust studs hei-coil on center and in place and ordered a gasket kit from Olson gasket ===Wow this L shaped head is a real bear to line up - so my question is how do I seal the water jacket on the side , my head gasket is copper ,so just some copper spray on that =but do I use TVR on the water jacket ? and do I tighten the side first or in unison with the top head bolts ?  thank you John In New Jersey  

I regret that I can not offer any good advice.  I have one of these, and plan to remove the head this winter to clean accumulated carbon.  It is definitely an unusual engine design, and mine is currently sealed well on both planes and leak-free.  I will be interested in what you might finally decide upon, and how it works out.  I am trying to think it through; I suppose the higher compression cylinder seal (vs the low pressure water jacket seal) would take a greater torque value.  I might tighten the side first to a lower value, then the top to a higher value.  Just guessing, though.   Good luck!

Andrew

Guest j.Illeney

Yes i am figuring the same thing --just received my gasket set from Olson gaskets -totally wrong now have to send them back ,don't know if it was a mistake or they just don't have them... I will post my progress 

I talked with Mr. Olson at Chickasha last March.  He was definitely familiar with the engine, and looked up the gaskets in one of his (priceless) reference books.  Hopefully, it was just an honest error, and he will be able to provide what you need.  I am very interested in your progress.