1927 Peerless Six-80 - anyone interested?

truckmen

Hi all!

We are offering up our 1927 Peerless Six-80. It has, as far as I can tell the original green and black paint and interior. The rear fenders were sandblasted however and need to be painted. The car turns over but will not fire off. I am thinking it's a combination of carburetor and ignition. I am the 3rd owner and know who the previous two owners are. You could be the 4th. 

Interested? Please feel free to contact me. We are located in Bangor, Maine

drivers side interior forward.jpg

engine compartment without hood and radiator.jpg

left front on the ramp truck.jpg

rear seat.jpg

right rear qtr.jpg

right side on ramp truck.jpg

stern view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for letting us know about your 6-80 being for sale. Not everybody goes to the trouble of posting photos. You have the same instrument panel, steering wheel, and dash as my 1928 6-80, but mine doesn't have the vanity case, smoking case, etc. you seem to have, the wood-graining at the top of the door panels, or the French-style roof visor. I was curious if there's a coachbuilders tag on the firewall. Murray, Raulang, Springfield, Peerless Body, and Pullman are possibilities. It looks like the upholstery pattern on your Peerless may be three spinning propeller blades. Is that what it is? There's a condition one 1929/30 6-81 down in Florida with the same design.

Were you ever able to visit Ralph Cartonio before he passed away last year, and see his legendary supply of cars and parts?

You sent me all your serial number data a few years ago, so you have one of the better-documented Peerlesses around.

Thanks. ---- Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

7 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for letting us know about your 6-80 being for sale. Not everybody goes to the trouble of posting photos. You have the same instrument panel, steering wheel, and dash as my 1928 6-80, but mine doesn't have the vanity case, smoking case, etc. you seem to have, the wood-graining at the top of the door panels, or the French-style roof visor. I was curious if there's a coachbuilders tag on the firewall. Murray, Raulang, Springfield, Peerless Body, and Pullman are possibilities. It looks like the upholstery pattern on your Peerless may be three spinning propeller blades. Is that what it is? There's a condition one 1929/30 6-81 down in Florida with the same design.

Were you ever able to visit Ralph Cartonio before he passed away last year, and see his legendary supply of cars and parts?

You sent me all your serial number data a few years ago, so you have one of the better-documented Peerlesses around.

Thanks. ---- Jeff

Jeff,

I am shocked to learn through your post that Ralph Cartonio passed away. I've had some financial setbacks since the offshore oil industry tanked and have been working like mad for the past 18 months hauling cars for a living so I have not kept up with the group.

Wow! I am just so blown away. Yes, I DID in fact meet Ralph. Alina, my wife and I had the pleasure of stopping over to his home when we were almost finished with the Denver, CO to Bucksport, Maine, trip we took in 2013 with the 1950 Desoto we had purchased. Ralph took us around and showed us his very comprehensive collection. I am so sad to hear this news.

I recently drove up through your town on my way from Idaho Falls to Missoula. I took the "skinny" road and stopped in your town and tried calling you but you did not pick up. A shame. Perhaps, we will meet in the future as I am planning to get back there net June, I hope.

Can you PM me? I will also go to the storage where my Peerlees is located and look for that tag you'd asked about.

By the way, please feel free to call my phone:  207-745-5000 

Edited by truckmen
Clarification and grammar (see edit history)

Ralph,

I put up a post about Ralph Cartonio after he died last fall, but who knows how many people read it? The Peerless Forum only has so many viewers, being a PreWar Car kind of outfit! I'm sure he forgot more about Peerless than I'll ever know. I never could figure how many Peerlesses he had.

Too bad you weren't able to reach me when you came through town. I might not have been home. I do remember you telling me about the trip, but figured you'd go through Cheyenne, Salt Lake and Sacramento like most people do on cross-country trips.

I wondered if your car-hauling business ever got going. Glad you've been able to get work. Lot's of it, it sounds like. I thought about doing that once for about an hour. Ralph called me up and told me he wanted me to go over to like San Diego and pick up a '25 Peerless 6-72 Phaeton and bring it to Hershey. I would have to buy a trailer, go 1,400 miles to San Diego, and 2,600 to Hershey...but I would have gotten to see the Hershey car show for the first time. As it turned out, he had a truck break down and never made it to Hershey, so I would driven another 500 to Maine, then 2,700 back home. I was supposed to estimate how much it would cost and call back. If you figure the cost of a trailer, 7,200 miles of driving, being on the road for 3 weeks, assuming my 6-cyl. Toyota could pull 6,200 lbs. that distance, you come up with a huge amount. The only way to justify it would have been to do what you're doing and never stop, but I simply didn't have the money.

What Ralph did was get somebody to pay for the shipping by enclosed transport in return for one of his cars, that yellow and black 6-81 Coupe with dual  sidemounts and a missing roof. The bill was $4,500. The guy who got the Peerless(from Limington) tried to sell it for $4,500 to recoup his money, wasn't able to, then Ralph, apparently, bought it back.

Remember when you & Alina were going to go on a honeymoon over in Europe, and I said you should check out the the 1911 Peerless Raceabout at the Louwman Museum in Holland? Well, no need to bother; it sold at a Bonhams auction, Amelia Island, and is now in The States. Its designation changed from a 1911 Mod. 32 Raceabout to a 1912 Mod. 60-Six Runabout before the sale(the auction folk researched it, one of the chaps at Bonhams told me), and it's now in St. Louis. It did show up at the 2015 Peerless Meet in Cleveland. 

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)