Dodge wheels and caps

countrytravler

The main difference between 35 and 36 is how the hubcap mounts, On 35 the cap has a flat edge with clips that go into a center of the wheel that is (at least on mine) a welded ring that accepts the flat edge. On 36 the center of the wheel has clips that hold a cap with a radius edge that the clips retain (much like later hubcaps) Trim rings are an option on all years according to my sources. The scallop striping varies from year to year also. I have an original wheel with the scallop that the scallop is light, double stripes on the rim of the wheel (where the trim ring is) are also light and the face of the wheel is dark. The ledge under the spokes is light (same color as the scallops and stripes) as well as the back of the wheel. Never saw this before. Rob

Ah, so 1935 and 1936 wheels are not 100% interchangeable.

Since vintchry brings up the scallop striping, I'll eventually have my wheels sandblasted and painted.  How did Chrysler mass produce those wheel paintjobs?  How do I reproduce it today?  Does someone make a template?

A ton of pictures of cars. Need pictures of cap and wheel separated. 34 looks the same.Here is a 34. They have different part #s for the cap and wheel between the 34 and 35.

A couple of 34s that we had from the past. Wheel and caps very similar to the 35.

The wheel and cap shown are a 34.

20160314_182432.jpg

20151114_133200.jpg

1934 Dodge DR 2 Door Sedan (4).jpg

1934 Dodge 2 DR Sedan (15).jpg

20161113_103424.jpg

20161113_103436.jpg

20161113_103455.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 5:17 AM, Pete in PA said:

Reg, those 1935 wheels look exactly like the ones on my 36.  Hub caps too.  My wheels do not, however, have the stainless trim rings.  I'll assume that they were optional.  Anyone know for sure?

Trim rings was an option starting in the early 30s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 30dodge35 said:

This set came off of a 1936 D2 sedan, 16 in.

image.jpeg

If the cap looks like the one on from the bottom picture, it would go to a 34. Possible 35 because I do not know what the 35 cap mounting looks like.

2016-11-13 14_39_53-unnamed.jpg ‎- Photos.png

20161113_103436.jpg

VW,  and Porsche have them around the outside of the rim under the tire. Chevy puts them on the center hub AND next to the valve stem. That would make things much easier, but I'm afraid this falls under the no two DB are the same thing. We were apparently typing at the same time. Where did you find a code?

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

Striping and color schemes varied according to the color of the accent paint on the wheel.If the accent ( starburst pattern) was a light color,and maybe only for the silver color accent, the paint changed to the light paint on the lower parts of the spokes and lip of the rim where the spokes mount and a dark color on the face for the starburst so that the color on the face of the wheel would not be washed out by the chrome cap. I always thought that there was only one accent scheme for '36 wheels with the different colors but then a fellow sent me a photo of the other scheme.You can see this photo if you look for my old post on painting the '36 Dodge wheels. Several of my original wheels had the silver accent color and the entire back portion of the wheel was painted silver . these wheels had the lighter color at the bottom of the wheel and not on the face. I'm sure that Chrysler used some kind of template in painting the wheels as you can see that the points of the starburst fade out and are not sharp like a taped job. Today one would probably have to hand mask each spoke to get the pattern done neatly, at least that's what I'm told by other owners. Then the wheels would have to be hand striped like the originals.You might be able to have a self-stick template made at a graphics company that would mask off the starburst pattern, but t might be a little tricky removing it and leaving a sharp line. Looks like a lot of work: I'm at that point now myself once I can find an actual match for my paint!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

On 11/14/2016 at 6:54 PM, 42319DB34 said:

'34.  DR / DS   Hub cap retainers (3)  were part of the cap assy

'35-36 retainers were part of the wheel assy 

Your statement is wrong if you're talking about the cars.  34 and 35 cars are the same in appearance. The difference is the offset and width. Clips on the caps are the same for 34 and 35. Someone said that the Calphalon height is different. Can not confirm that. 36 is the 1st year for the clips to be on the wheels as shown above threads.

Judging by some of the pics posted in this thread, one of the loose parts included in my D2 purchase is a single Plymouth wheel.

As for the stampings inside the wheel, I'm vary familiar with cars from the early 60s up and those Budd marks look very familiar.  In fact, as I get more acquainted with my D2 I'm sometimes surprised by how much of the basic technology of that era is familiar to me.

I look forward to installing new tires/tubs on my Dodge so I can see whether the date codes on all 5 wheels match.

2 hours ago, Pete in PA said:

Judging by some of the pics posted in this thread, one of the loose parts included in my D2 purchase is a single Plymouth wheel.

As for the stampings inside the wheel, I'm vary familiar with cars from the early 60s up and those Budd marks look very familiar.  In fact, as I get more acquainted with my D2 I'm sometimes surprised by how much of the basic technology of that era is familiar to me.

I look forward to installing new tires/tubs on my Dodge so I can see whether the date codes on all 5 wheels match.

Have a customer that sprayed rubber inside the wheel and he has no tubes. Drove his truck many miles with no problems.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 2:44 PM, countrytravler said:

If the cap looks like the one on from the bottom picture, it would go to a 34. Possible 35 because I do not know what the 35 cap mounting looks like.

2016-11-13 14_39_53-unnamed.jpg ‎- Photos.png

20161113_103436.jpg

These are definitely 34. BTW, I am in the process of 

On 11/13/2016 at 1:55 PM, countrytravler said:

A ton of pictures of cars. Need pictures of cap and wheel separated. 34 looks the same.Here is a 34. They have different part #s for the cap and wheel between the 34 and 35.

A couple of 34s that we had from the past. Wheel and caps very similar to the 35.

The wheel and cap shown are a 34.

20160314_182432.jpg

20151114_133200.jpg

1934 Dodge DR 2 Door Sedan (4).jpg

1934 Dodge 2 DR Sedan (15).jpg

20161113_103424.jpg

20161113_103436.jpg

20161113_103455.jpg

The top photo happens to be my car, 34 Brougham, (used to be Dave's AND Jacks) & I am in the process of coming up with a template as described by jpage. I've had to draw the TETRADECAGON, (14 openings) with great accuracy so the sticky back template will line up properly with the scallops. Once I successfully finish the test template, I plan on getting a print shop to make up a number of them. I figure it will be a five-step process & hope to utilize the powder coating process. Fist step will be to powder coat the color on the center section only, then apply the template, paint the rest of the wheel, back included & then have a pinstriper apply the striping & then finish the entire wheel with several clear coats. Not sure if the powder will stick to the template, which could cause a problem. I plan on doing my side mount wheels using 2 different color schemes to see which would eventually be used for the rest of the car. They are currently waiting for me to pick them up at the sandblaster/powder coating shop. I had them sandblasted & primed. I will post my results.

• Like 2