Advice on Wire Wheels to fit 64 Riv

Guest TK64Riv

Guest TK64Riv

Purchased a 64 Riv last spring with original hub caps. Since I do not have the technical knowledge or mechanical experience to know what to look for, I need some assistance and advice- I'd like to replace the caps with wire wheels. The Buick Skylark Wire Wheels at hobbycar.com site look great> How do I know what to ask for with the 5 X 5 hub, would a 5 X6 or a 5 X7 fit? Although I am not mechanically inclined, the car I bought was a duplicate of the one I picked my girlfriend up in 47 years ago- I fell in love with both, kept the girl but had to sell the car with a growing family. 47 years later, me and my girl have our dream ride back! It is beautifully restored in mostly original condition, matching numbers and NO rust! A real classic!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have 15x7 on my car. I had to run 1/4" spacer on the front due to hub and rivets. And a 1" bolt on spacer on the rear to fit over the drum. I don't know the back space. I bought the rims at a swap meet and never measured the back space. Many on here will bitch about the bolt on spacer. I've put 12,000 miles on this set up with no issue. 

DSCN1072.JPG

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bb1970 said:

I have 15x7 on my car. I had to run 1/4" spacer on the front due to hub and rivets. And a 1" bolt on spacer on the rear to fit over the drum. I don't know the back space. I bought the rims at a swap meet and never measured the back space. Many on here will bitch about the bolt on spacer. I've put 12,000 miles on this set up with no issue. 

DSCN1072.JPG

Hey there buddy.  I was thinking just the other day wondering if you still had your 65; you haven't been online for a while.   Good to hear from you.

12 hours ago, slosteve said:

I believe the original Skylark wheels were on the 1953 model.

Steve

Yes.  Originally on the 53 Skylark, which in 53 and 54 was considered a full sized car.  

If you look at the Skylark wheels and compare them to bb1970'see wheels, you'll notice a big difference.  The Skylark wheels have a cover over the lug nuts where the others have the lug nuts between the spokes.  The skylark wheels should fit your drums without the use of a spacer.

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Yes.  Originally on the 53 Skylark, which in 53 and 54 was considered a full sized car.  

If you look at the Skylark wheels and compare them to bb1970'see wheels, you'll notice a big difference.  The Skylark wheels have a cover over the lug nuts where the others have the lug nuts between the spokes.  The skylark wheels should fit your drums without the use of a spacer.

I think you're thinking of the same year Cadillac wire wheels. They have a dog dish cap covering the lugs. Skylark wires have that small long snout, and exposed lugs. I personally am divided on which one I like the best. Skylark wires have that 60's custom look, while caddy wires are the traditional lowrider look.

4 hours ago, bb1970 said:

Do you have a pic of the rear wheels? Curious about the spacing of the tire in the fenderwell with a 1" spacer. Have you seen any maker's mark on the wheels? Are they Kelsey hayes or truspoke? I think spacers have a bad rap because of the pot metal ones they used to sell. Modern ones are much better metal.

I have owned a few sets of the Skylark Wire Wheels both 1953 and 1954s they are the same except for the outer one being 15 x 6

as the 53 used the 800x15 larger tire v/s the 1954 which used 760x15 a little smaller, however both of them will fit on the 1st generation Rivieras without any spacers nor other modifications.  Paul

• Like 1

The 53 Skylark was based on the Roadmaster / Super chassis but the 54 Skylark was based on the Century / Special chassis.  Hence the difference in wheel width and tire sizes.

I looked at some pictures of the 53 / 54 Skylark and saw both types of wheels.  But the majority had the exposed lug bolts. Either way they'll fit the Riviera w/o a spacer or adapter.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 1:07 PM, jsgun said:

Do you have a pic of the rear wheels? Curious about the spacing of the tire in the fenderwell with a 1" spacer. Have you seen any maker's mark on the wheels? Are they Kelsey hayes or truspoke? I think spacers have a bad rap because of the pot metal ones they used to sell. Modern ones are much better metal.

5677b77d7207f989f2f51815ea2e19e9.jpg

Sorry for the proof picture. It was taken a rainy car show by a photographer that was there. But it was the best shot of the rear wheel I had. It is a tight fit. But no rubbing. I can't find a mfg. name on the wheels. I'd bet Truspokes.  

38 minutes ago, bb1970 said:

Sorry for the proof picture. It was taken a rainy car show by a photographer that was there. But it was the best shot of the rear wheel I had. It is a tight fit. But no rubbing. I can't find a mfg. name on the wheels. I'd bet Truspokes.  

That helps a lot, thanks. I'm betting they're truspokes too. I looked it up, the 15x7 has a 4" backspace, which explains why you had to use the spacer. I think I read here somewhere that anything with more than 3.5" BS hits the drum's fins.

I was curious about the spacers, because my favorite wheels (Kelsey hayes "strippers", and Appliance "apache" only came in chevy and small ford bolt patterns. Gotta run 1.5" thick pattern changers to run them.