1939 Ford Panel - WHAT IS IT?

<a href="http://www.aaca.org/misc/1939fordpanel1.jpg">Photo #1</a><P><a href="http://www.aaca.org/misc/1939fordpanel2.jpg">Photo #2</a><P><a href="http://www.aaca.org/misc/1939fordpanel3.jpg">Photo #3</a><P>What purpose did this vehicle serve? I know it spent time with the California National Guard, but in what capacity? I firmly believe that the CONVERSION WAS DONE BEFORE VEHICLE WAS DELIVERED. Quality is excellent. <P>MVPA Military Vehicle Preservation Association members (mil-veh on line) have seen identical vehicles (Army Surplus) in Walnut Ridge, ARK. dismantling WWII bombers circa 1948 and in New Mexico as plumbing trucks. <P>TRUCK model IS 99T. Not 91T. It came with big optional 95hp V-8, dual windshield wipers, dual rear 20" wheels and wider running boards and rear fenders. <P>This thing was hardly driven, even in its next life as an appliance repair truck, only about 7,000 miles on the clock. Checking play in suspension, etc., confirms low mileage. <P>Three coats of paint from new. First two OD green, but different shades. I've been told that pre-WWII OD green is different from WWII OD green. <P><BR>Brass tag in pass. side door jam "TB 766". Does this refer to Budd Corporation, "Tech. Bulletin 766" or none of the above? Union Hardware & Metal, Los Angeles, Cal. did the extensive (and expensive) conversion. <P>Cargo area is 80% taken up with these built-in cabinets. Full size bulkhead behind driver's seat. 60% bulkhead approx. 30" inside rear doors. Built-in metal boxes not visible suitable for long items like pipe on left floor 1'x6"x5'? <P>One year+ very hard research. Stumped THIS OLD TRUCK, ATHS on-line, MVPA on-line, Early Ford V-8 on-line, Prof. Donald Wood, and MANY, MANY individuals! Panel of course had doors and drawers covering open spaces on panel sides. <P>More info on request! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! <P>Don Kenyon <BR>Da-Kenyons@webtv.net <P><p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 09-26-2000).]

Don, Ron, and, Peter:<P>As I posted previously, to talk with personnel from the era would be the route.<P>My best guess, based on the weight it was designed to hold, is a service vehicle for something heavy...tanks, APC's of the era, field artillery. With no defensive mechanisms visible, it had to be a support vehicle of some sort. Another thought, possibly for the Army Air Corps servicing on tarmacs.

Heizmann,<P>Not sure what post you refer to when you say "As I posted previously, to talk with personnel from the era would be the route." Regardless, is anyone here from the "era" with some insight on this unique vehicle?<P>Thanks for your note however, I'll pass it on to Don ASAP.<P>Peter

Guest c.johnson

Hi<P>I'm not from the era, but I have been in the National Guard for over 15 years. ("Military Intellegence" is still an oxymoron.)<BR> <BR>I agree with the assumption that it was an airfield service truck. I think that even for the era, it would have been built too light for the field. The building up that it does have does not seem for dirt use.<BR>This would also explain the low miles, interesting paint job, and so on.<P>My best advise is to contact the California National Guard, and try to find more information through them. There is always a museum (sp?) or a historian in the National Guard somewhere. If you have any idea of the Unit that it belonged to, that would give important information on where to start.<P>Let me know if you need a phone number, I'm sure I can dig one up for the Adjutant General's office.<P>cj<BR>

Peter G.<P>Sorry for not being more detailed.<P>I was responding to Don Kenyon's 9/24/00 post that started the query. Topic: HELP ME ID USE OF MILITARY VEHICLE.<P>Peter J.

Guest c.johnson

Okay I think I've got it!!!<P>After a good night sleep, It came to me that while I was a Supply Sergeant I had inventoried a few contact trucks. Contact trucks are rolling shops, full of tools, usually a compressor, generator, tow bar (heavy & big), etc. Contact trucks go find the broken vehicle and repair it, or if they can, tow it back to the maintenence shop.<BR>They are usually beefed up for a few reasons: they have to haul a lot of tools, they can be expected to tow other vehicles, and they belong to the mechanics - who only want the very best. smile.gif<P>They would be especially useful around Mechanized Infantry - 2 divisions are indigenious to California National Guard.<P>cj

Mr. Johnson, what you say makes so much<BR>sense! One or two MVPA members suggested<BR>"contact truck" but wouldn't elaborate<BR>on what that was. I'm an IHC truck nut<BR>and 20's "Red Babies" were often used as<BR>contact trucks for the dealerships. I<BR>never knew what that meant!<BR>The identical truck seen in Walnut Ridge,<BR>ARK. circa 1947 was FULL of tools. This<BR>according to a very nice man who grew up<BR>there and saw many WWII bombers smelted<BR>after the men with this truck removed engines.<BR>Smell, grime, general feel is definitely<BR>repair or maint.<BR>My current favorite for "ownership" is<BR>the 185th Inf. Reg. based in Los Angeles,<BR>CA or thereabouts. I'm about four hours<BR>to the North near Fresno.<BR>I believe "Nunquam Non Papatus" is the motto I see and I think the chevron and<BR>fleur-de-lis is in the upper left corner.<BR>I KNOW that the upside-down semi-circle<BR>for the 40th Inf. Div. is present and I<BR>can see "Ball of Fire" the Korean era<BR>motto for the 40th. The 185th is a part of the 40th. THANK YOU!! Don Kenyon