Trailer advice

Joe in Canada

Marty,

I was not questioning your tow set-up if go back and read my post I also quoted Mr Padgett, my comment about towing on the edge was referring  to his set-up, sorry for the confusion. Your set-up pretty much mirrors mine, although I did not like the gas version of the 2500, fuel tank was too small and MPG's with an 8' trailer are pretty bad with wind resistance. 

I will see you in Ocala I am lucky the show field is only about 3 miles from my house in Ocala, I plan on bringing 5 cars, 4 HPOF cars and 1 class judged. I am finishing restoring my 60 Impala that I had gotten a Junior with in 2003.

Sorry for that

11 minutes ago, John348 said:

Marty,

I was not questioning your tow set-up if go back and read my post I also quoted Mr Padgett, my comment about towing on the edge was referring  to his set-up, sorry for the confusion. Your set-up pretty much mirrors mine, although I did not like the gas version of the 2500, fuel tank was too small and MPG's with an 8' trailer are pretty bad with wind resistance. 

I will see you in Ocala I am lucky the show field is only about 3 miles from my house in Ocala, I plan on bringing 5 cars, 4 HPOF cars and 1 class judged. I am finishing restoring my 60 Impala that I had gotten a Junior with in 2003.

Sorry for that

John, no problem - and although my 2500 Suburban only has a 38 gallon gas tank, you are right in that towing a trailer with 8 ft inside clearance and a raised  floor so that the wheel boxes are only 5 inches tall, does add to the wind resistance. The tapered roof-line and wedged front of our trailer does help somewhat, but yoou can see from the pics that my trailer is much taller and wider than any of our tow vehicles.

Looking forward to meeting you in Ocala

"I also quoted Mr Padgett, my comment about towing on the edge was referring  to his set-up, "

Huh ? See post #39.

ps "As far as feeling vibration in the tow vehicle, with a 2500 series truck or higher you could probably drag the trailer behind you on flats and not feel it. I think we discussed this before, but I strongly feel your "TV" is really at the edge of it's limits with the job you are asking of it. I myself would never even attempt it, I just don't think it is safe   "

My TV is a Jeep

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Mr P. How mush of a load are you towing with your Jeep? What is the GVW of your Jeep, Your house that you are dragging behind you has to weigh close to 4500-5000 lbs, correct?  

Marty the 38 gallon tank would would have been nice but the largest tank was 28 on my 2012. I pretty much have the same trailer V nose and all, I get 10-11 MPG empty or full with the diesel, and with the gas 2500 I was between 7-8 and with 28 gallon tank I was looking for fuel real fast. I traded it in after a year and got beat up real bad on that one

"Mr P. How mush of a load are you towing with your Jeep? What is the GVW of your Jeep, Your house that you are dragging behind you has to weigh close to 4500-5000 lbs, correct?   "

Oy: I see the glee club is back.  See post #39

For the AR I have a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory trailer towing package and a Prodigy controller. It is factory rated to tow 5,000 lbs. The trailer is a TrailManor 2720SL. That weighs 3243 lbs unloaded (about 3700 with clothes and stuff but empty water tank (20 gal).