AJFord54

Hilton Head - Classic Packard Rolls into Pond

John Utz, long time editor of the Flying Lady taught me how to spark start a car. He would pull the choke just a little before shutting a car off to load the cylinders a little, then advance the spark all the way. To start the car he would swing the spark lever to get one snap at the points. That kick would do one cylinder and rest rest joined in.

The Startix I have worked on sensed current flow from the generator. Just turn the key and they would start. Restarting on the stall was close to the equivalent of an automatic transmission. A car like that Packard doesn't need to be shifted even driving around town all day. Accidentally take a corner too slow and they restart with hardly a hiccup.

It may not have been a standard feature on that model Packard but they were available into the 1940's, even on boats.

My concern was the article mentioning a "helper" near the car. The potential for some short attention span help with keys in their hand is probably more of a problem that redesigning a wheel chock. It is good to train and screen the field help.

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As to the use of a fire extinguisher as a chock.  Sometimes you need to make do with what you have.  Not sure anyone in that area knew they would be on an incline.  I do know this, at least two major concours, including the Elegance will be reviewing all the areas on the show field and assessing the need for having additional protection.  We are already in the planning stages to have some chocks built just in case we have some early cars that might need them in our sloped area of the field.

I don't agree at all. A simple wood block should be in the trunk of all cars that attend a car show (mine are all equipped) if not mandated. Anyone should know a smooth round object is not going to hold anything, especially in grass. The topography is moot as blocks of wood would secure it even on an incline. Making due in an emergency is one thing, but "making due" when securing a 7 figure car in an open area with countless people meandering about is quite another. That put lives in harms way. Its a truly sad event to be sure but it could have been prevented at zero cost. (maybe a few bucks if he wanted some really nice rare wood blocks, which I would say would be a nice addition)

The e brake is not enough as we all know that people can be stupid and get in cars and play, possibly releasing the ebrake or putting it into neutral. I've seen it myself. 

Not to say I have never made a mistake, but this had the potential of loss of life. I can see the insurance facing a $1m loss may be well within their rights to say that the car was improperly secured therefore the owner has XX% culpability. I'd be shocked if they don't assign some if not all culpability to the owner.

19 minutes ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

...but this had the potential of loss of life...

But the fact remains that NO ONE was hurt thankfully and I think many people have learned a valuable lesson from someone else's mistake.

Also, consider the soil condition of the field. If the ground was soft the fire extinguisher may have simply sunk into the ground under the weight of the car. My sympathies go out to the owner. I've had enough accidents in my lifetime to feel his pain. Zeke

Nice car, too bad it happened.   Saw the car at Hershey and like a lot of others, really thought it was an amazing restoration.  I'm sure it will be back again and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.  Keep us posted on the details.

Terry

I saw the the car just silently roll back into the water- yep We were their set up just across from the car with antique Victorian era  bicycles, and yes he did have a fire extinguisher under one wheel as well as a good size log  under the other, and yes their was a report about the person reaching in moments before the car went over .  The insurance guy was right their on the spot ( you know -all the big companies have booths at these shows). We were all shaken up .....