AJFord54

Hilton Head - Classic Packard Rolls into Pond

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Simple issue here, it was a sad day for the owner who I am understood to say "I''ll fix the car, just glad no one was hurt".

That's a true gentleman.  Lesser men would have been cussing and blaming everyone from the show organization to the groundskeeper.

Sad event, but come on guys, we've all done silly or stupid things with our cars, and to beat up on a well known collector of high end Packards is just uncalled for....

Man, I want to be neutral, but Peter (Shiny), your high horse is at an incredible height....but since you know so much about babbitt, then you might explain to us about the one property that babbitt has, it's self destructive at a certain thickness......the inability to transfer heat well is what makes babbitt fail, when it's too thick .  That's what us poor losers are trying to do when we decide on inserts.  Babbitt is a wonderful material for a bearing surface, under certain limitations, but once you start cutting a lot of material off the crankshaft, and adding babbitt to make up for it, trouble is heading your way.

Shame about the Packard, the owner I'm sure had good insurance, it will need another more or less full restoration, but let's quit hammering the money guys who let us enjoy the high end cars, and are willing to get them out in the sunshine.  Sheesh...

• Like 1

it is/was a truly beautiful car with a fabulous restoration.  Unfortunately it was also getting wet when we saw it at Hershey last month.

My condolences to the owner though I agree about using wheel chocks on any incline AND leaving the car in reverse. 

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

There is more to this story.  I just spoke with the owner and although I do not have permission to say everything I can tell you that everyone in the class had the rear wheels chocked with their fire extinguishers due to being on an incline.  Also, the owner was not with his car when this happened but someone was seen to reach in it before the event occurred.  That is all I will say at the moment.  The owner reiterated his appreciation that no one was injured or that the divers did not encounter the alligators that were in the pond.  He actually made the crack about a new "submarine class"!  Ralph is an amazing car guy and is handling this so much better than most people would.  Total class act.  I wish I could say more because the rest of the story is a bit mind boggling.  After waiting for 13 years to finish this car it will now go through restoration again. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

There is more to this story.  I just spoke with the owner and although I do not have permission to say everything I can tell you that everyone in the class had the rear wheels chocked with their fire extinguishers due to being on an incline.  Also, the owner was not with his car when this happened but someone was seen to reach in it before the event occurred.  That is all I will say at the moment.  The owner reiterated his appreciation that no one was injured or that the divers did not encounter the alligators that were in the pond.  He actually made the crack about a new "submarine class"!  Ralph is an amazing car and is handling this so much better than most people would.  Total class act.  I wish I could say more because the rest of the story is a bit mind boggling.  After waiting for 13 years to finish this car it will now go through restoration again. 

Obviously I know next to nothing about this but I do know that a fire extinguisher makes a poor wheel chock and on wet grass even more so..........Bob

• Like 2

On a lighter side (perhaps), back to my Post #24: "I was looking at the video in 60FlatTop's Post #13 and thought I saw a familiar face/profile.  Is that Jay Leno looking into the passenger side front seat area at 0.16 - 0.28 sec. of the video?"   Was Jay Leno at this event?  Does anyone know?

I just gotta know,

Grog

On 11/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, capngrog said:

Is that Jay Leno looking into the passenger side front seat area at 0.16 - 0.28 sec. of the video?

Not in my opinion.

Growing up I really appreciated those who had bought the Jags new, them pawned them off to a deserving kid for pennies when the ashtrays became full. Almost as much as those who wanted theirs exercised and appreciated being shown how to get a Moss gearbox into first at 25 mph.  

Or (horrors) how much faster an XK-1xx was to shift if you took a torch to the gear lever and straightened it out. Or how to repair a leaking XKE power brake booster with a 6.00x16 inner tube and some hose clamps.

And then there were those who didn't believe you could open the hood on a Rolls, move one fuse, and drive off (but rides were limited, you needed the key to open the gas cap).

Those were fun daze in south Florida.

Point I am making is that normal people did not buy any of these cars when new but we can be very glad they did.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

On a lighter side (perhaps), back to my Post #24: "I was looking at the video in 60FlatTop's Post #13 and thought I saw a familiar face/profile.  Is that Jay Leno looking into the passenger side front seat area at 0.16 - 0.28 sec. of the video?"   Was Jay Leno at this event?  Does anyone know?

I just gotta know,

Grog

Nope - this man has a beard and is laying his hands all over the car.  I don't think Jay would do that to someone else's car, especially after what it has been through.

So glad no one was hurt, but it's sad to see what happened.  I'm really hoping no one messed with the car.  I've never had anyone touch my trucks without me being there and my permission (as far as I know) but things can happen.

16 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Nope - this man has a beard and is laying his hands all over the car.  I don't think Jay would do that to someone else's car, especially after what it has been through.

So glad no one was hurt, but it's sad to see what happened.  I'm really hoping no one messed with the car.  I've never had anyone touch my trucks without me being there and my permission (as far as I know) but things can happen.

Annie, I can't quite make out a beard on the guy, but I'll grant it's possible he's sporting one.  I agree that Jay Leno would not touch a car under these circumstances unless requested to do so by the owner.  Having taken a closer look at the "mystery man" while looking for his beard, I no longer think that he was/is Jay Leno.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I wonder if someone was standing off to the side asking "What's a Startix?"

Bernie

Now there's an inside joke only understood by true car people if I ever heard one. 

• Like 1

True, Jeff, but then the other car people would know that the '38 Packard didn't come with a Startix!  Just a push button start on the dash.....

If the Mrs. hadn't learned how to shift yet I could see one coming out of Detroit with it. Stockbridge, Mass. isn't the only place you can get anything you want.

And it IS a Packard.

44 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Now there's an inside joke only understood by true car people if I ever heard one. 

Not being a "true car people", I missed the inside joke.   "What's a Startix?"   Please share the humor.

Cheese,

Grog

If there is a bright side to this terrible accident, at least it wasn't salt water. Of course all the mechanicals will need to be addressed and the interior replaced but perhaps the body can get away with a good cleaning and not a total restoration. If it was salt water, yikes! A fellow in my area had his '63 Corvette submerged up to the top of the doors in a flood and believe it or not he was back on the road in 3 months.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Could 'splian getting over the fire extinguisher.

That's easy. A smooth round object on a grass surface (or any surface for that matter) is a poor choice for a wheel chock.  (Not saying that is what happened, just answering the question)

Guest BillP

On my '34 Packard, the key had to be on for the Startix to work.

3 hours ago, BillP said:

On my '34 Packard, the key had to be on for the Startix to work.

That is why I would discount any theories it had one, not to mention, I believe 1936 was the last year Packard offered "Startix".

Craig

It is a car, and only a car ( a nice car, but still only a car),.and a shame it happened, It could have been worse..... a lot worse! nobody got run over by the silent rolling 2+ tons going down hill. I hope that the insurance money is there and the car will be repaired, and like most of us I would think it is over insured. As Steve said nobody got hurt and that is the most important thing

As to how it happened, dose it really matter? I am sure if it was an oversight by the owner they will always regret that mistake, after all, everyone has an eraser on their pencil and none of us can say we never made a mistake. I feel sorry for the owner I know he (or she) must feel like crap.  

Cap'n, ever hear of starting "on the spark" ?

18 hours ago, capngrog said:

Not being a "true car people", I missed the inside joke.   "What's a Startix?"   Please share the humor.

Cheese,

Grog

An electric automatic starting device.  Turn ignition key on, on most cars engage clutch (as a safety), device turns engine over to start, once started the electricity coming from the generator disengages the Startix.  If the car stalls (i.e. does not sense electricity from generator) the Statix will automatically attempt to start engine again.

It was not standard equipment on a 1938 Packard.

My Cord has it, it's neat to just turn the key and let the engine start, instead of pressing a starter foot switch or button.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startix

Just a couple of things.  Glad most people recognize that accidents happen, people can cause damage (intentionally or not)  and thank goodness a 6,000# car did not roll over some child or person that was behind it.  Thankfully there is not an alligator story to go with this as well. My understanding is that the insurance company jumped to help and that the car was graciously delivered to the original restorer by Ralph's friends at RM. 

As to the use of a fire extinguisher as a chock.  Sometimes you need to make do with what you have.  Not sure anyone in that area knew they would be on an incline.  I do know this, at least two major concours, including the Elegance will be reviewing all the areas on the show field and assessing the need for having additional protection.  We are already in the planning stages to have some chocks built just in case we have some early cars that might need them in our sloped area of the field.

A truly sad time for a 13 year odyssey of restoration but it will be back one of these days with quite a story to tell! 

I can speak from experience that a rolling vehicle is next to impossible to stop by hand,  A runaway truck (tow truck actually, typical of the 70s) almost ran a friend and I down years ago.  We happened to be looking at an old Mustang in a lot and a tow truck had been parked at the crest of a grade that dropped maybe 2 feet over say 100 feet or so away, not real steep but enough to get up some steam.  Truck was left running, nuetral, no brake set from what we could tell.  Truck must have started rolling because one of us caught it out of the corner of the eye, we both tried to stop it, but soon realized best to jump out of the way.  Truck smashed into the Mustang, crunching the front fender in and likely doing a lot more damage.  (Garage owner/manager comes out eyeing us suspiciously, we explained what happened and left.  Today, he would be counting his blessing we did not get hurt or sue for a traumatic experience!)