Transmission questions?

John_Mc

I've pulled the engine out of my '37 Zephyr and now I'm wondering if I should pull the transmission too.  Nothing really wrong with it but it is a filthy greasy mess.  How hard is it to pull? The mount is so filthy, I don't know it's condition.  Shouldn't I remove it now with the engine out?

Unhook the torque Tube, remove the nut that holds u-joint to trans shaft, and lift out to the front.  Pull the cover and check for worn or chipped gears.  If staying in 2d gear is a problem, replace synchros.  Look for leaks, might be good idea to replace rear seal.

Abe.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, 19tom40 said:

John, it looks like the U-Joint cover is on upside down. I believe that the grease fitting should be on the bottom. When you clean the trans, you may find some of the remnants of the green paint. Years of being oil soaked has made most of it flake off.

Tom, the U-joint cover is upside down because I took it it off when pulling the trans and I put it back any old way to hold it together.

The teardown continues pretty well and I'm please to see that the inside is actually pretty clean.  I have two questions: May I borrow the special tool you have needed to remove the valves?  Also, looks like there is a specific puller needed to remove the harmonic balancer, or can I fabricate something that will work??

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)

Yes John, you can borrow the tool. I will be home most of the week, just give me a call before you leave for my house.

I believe that the crank pulley retaining nut can be removed with a 1 1/8" deep socket. I have a thin wall socket that I use to remove it. Then the pulley should just slide off of the crankshaft.

Below is a pic of my 1938 mount.  It is NOS from eBay but have never seen another there that was useable.  Also pictured is a speedo drive which I have no idea why it is there.  Like I stated earlier, this car is a "Mix Master".

if I understand where the balancer is on these cars then here is a pic of my home puller and installer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, 19tom40 said:

Yes John, you can borrow the tool. I will be home most of the week, just give me a call before you leave for my house.

I believe that the crank pulley retaining nut can be removed with a 1 1/8" deep socket. I have a thin wall socket that I use to remove it. Then the pulley should just slide off of the crankshaft.

Thank you Tom, I'll have to call you when I have the option to head your way.  As you know, I'm working now so.............

Boy, getting those three bolts out was one of the most time consuming and frustrating jobs I've done to the Zephyr so far (motor is installed).

My speedo drive is off the right rear axle.  I have no speedo transmission on the firewall and I have the Columbia so a drive connected to the drive shaft will not cut it.  I didn't know factory tools were even available for that job hence my home built ones.  Flying solo except for you guys and your help, had its drawbacks.

18 hours ago, Ken/Alabama said:

Remove the fan from the dampener first via three bolts on the engine side of the dampener. Then remove the bolt holding the dampener and with a block of wood and a hammer try bumping it off the crank. Have used this method many times with success.  

Ken,

Yes, with the bolt removed, a few taps of a hammer with a block of wood and off came the puller and damper!

IMG_1066.JPG

• Like 1