What do you do with old Paint??

nick8086

Your local trash or recycling center usually has provisions to handle paint disposal.  If you pay for trash disposal, contact them for help with your paint.  They should be able to help direct you to your local disposal facility.

Terry

• Like 1

Use it to paint things. If it is hardened or gone bad dispose of it responsibly. Restorer32 I'm sorry you don't live near me, I would hit you up when I want to paint something. There must be some recycling place near you that would take it for free, or sell it cheap to a back yard bodyman .

As mentioned above, check with your local garbage company and/or City or County recycling Office (Google your area)......

In many cities the paint industry absorbs the cost of individuals' leftovers, and has dropoff points at paint/hardware stores where you can drop off certain amounts per month free of charge...there are some limitations on what they take, but a very little Googling etc will fill you in...

Here, latex can just be dried, as mentioned above, and then put into the garbage can.

Back around 1970 I bought 120 quarts of leftover, part used cans of paint at the auction of a defunct Chrysler dealer. For several years I painted cars for $35 to $100 using this paint. It is how I learned to paint cars, and never got a bad job because of old paint. I'm not saying they all came out perfect, just that it was not the paint's fault.

Never tried this myself and not sure if it will work for epoxy or other automotive products but I've always wondered how good it works. I put mine on craigslist under "FREE" and it's usually gone in the first 1/2 hour each time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-3-5-oz-Waste-Away-Paint-Hardener-for-Paint-Disposal-2134/100149311

6dd77562-f77d-4fba-b12b-9ebe765be70c_100

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Every spring and fall my town has a collection, where you can bring any paint, solvent etc to the DPW and they will take it. Check with your town if they have such a program.

I had a 58 Chevy pickup back when it was just an old pickup that was painted this rather nice blue gray color. I asked the guy what the color was if I needed to do any touch up. He said they went to their left over auto paint shelf an anything that was bluish was mixed together. Was holding up well when I sold it a few years later.

I got rid of a lot smaller amounts of paint when we moved by leaving almost empty cans out in the sun, lid off to dry, put oil absorbent in some and left in sun and poured some of it on big pieces of cardboard to dry. after a few days it was ok for the normal trash pickup.

3 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I don't know where you live Bhigdog but the EPA would love to have a talk with you. You think this is right?

I live in PA. I own a 1/2 mile long section of woods with a creek and a road running through it. Once a year my wife and I take the front end loader and a bunch of contractor grade garbage bags and do a clean up. Last time we got 800 pounds of cans, bottles, tires, rotten meat (in the creek), old clothes, paint cans and a TV set. I'd love to talk to the EPA far more than they would like to talk to me.

I assume this answers your questions....................Bob

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I live in PA. I own a 1/2 mile long section of woods with a creek and a road running through it. Once a year my wife and I take the front end loader and a bunch of contractor grade garbage bags and do a clean up. Last time we got 800 pounds of cans, bottles, tires, rotten meat (in the creek), old clothes, paint cans and a TV set. I'd love to talk to the EPA far more than they would like to talk to me.

I assume this answers your questions....................Bob

I live on not a main road, but a busy secondary road.  Same clean up ritual each spring from the slobs.  :(

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I don't know where you live Bhigdog but the EPA would love to have a talk with you. You think this is right?

Last time I checked the EPA was a little preoccupied, but they would surely take time out to prosecute. 

Bernie

EPAorange.jpg

It is illegal for a business to allow an open can of paint to evaporate into the air, so that will tell you not to do that. However if you happen to have a can with less than 1" of dried paint in it, it is OK to dispose of it as regular trash.

The key to disposal is to use it. It is not hazardous waste until you declare it "waste".

It is OK to mix it all together and paint your garage floor with it.

As a business we are liable for any harm caused by our paint waste. Even though we contract with Safety Kleen we are the responsible party in perpetuity. Every time Safety Kleen makes a pickup we have to sign a manifest stating what they are picking up. A few days later we receive 2 copies of that manifest, 1 of which we must send to the state and 1 which we are legally required to keep until the end of time or until clearer heads prevail in DC, whichever comes first.