sandblasting question

Guest Vuk

Yeah, yesterday I got some fittings from a friend and realized the hole where air travels through a 1/2" fitting is the same as the 3/8". I tought 1/2" fitting will have larger phi ( Φ ) but it's the same as 3/8". The only thing different is the thread size. So I'm gonna stay with 3/8"

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

sandblasting full car body or panels to remove old paint can cause damage to the panels

if done by an unexperienced operator

using soda blasting is safer but only removes paint not rust.

but leaves the panels clean for you to address any local rust areas

Personal experience.   If using Soda,  Rinse , rinse and rinse some more when done.  If you don't any residual Soda will cause paint failure in about 2 years.  I don't use soda on barely anything anymore,  but since it contaminated my cabinet,  i wash everything that goes through it now when I'm done. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I always just did a comprehensive wash with water,  then followed by an immediate drying.  Either out in the hot sun after blowing the worst of the water off with air,  or a heat gun does the trick.  In the winter,  a wood stove works quite well as well,  depending on the piece.   Never had any problems after that. 

The first few minutes of this video explains how the warping effect from shot peening is quantified and related to the intensity of peen.  The panel warps up towards the shot peen side because compressive residual stress from all those little hammer blows push against each other causing the panel to warp.  The compressive residual stress layer on the part surface also helps prevent cracks from beginning and growing (why it's used on highly stressed parts that are subject to fatigue cracking).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aeQrh03JQ

• Like 1

again   using the tricon      very simple   rod in a bucket    picks up media and shoots out the nozzle      for small parts I do it next to my garage on the  grass    for body parts on the car   open garage door     has worked for years    ceramic nozzles need to be  replaced once in a while

• Like 1

12 hours ago, broker-len said:

again   using the tricon      very simple   rod in a bucket    picks up media and shoots out the nozzle      for small parts I do it next to my garage on the  grass    for body parts on the car   open garage door     has worked for years    ceramic nozzles need to be  replaced once in a while

I had a large pot blaster and could never get it work quite right. I traded it for a pile of car parts. I bought one of these gun with the pickup in the bucket trick at Tractor Supply for something like $20 and for small stuff it works great. Anything bigger and I will send it out. For doing large areas i.e. a car body has anyone tried the dustless blasting outfit?  I was in between jobs a few years ago and looking for something to do. I contacted them and was almost ready to write a check but backed out last moment. I think its a good product.