Info wanted on '86 LeSabre Grand National

adoldfield

I recently purchased a low mileage '86 LeSabre Grand National. I have read what little bit of information is on the internet about the car.

I would like to learn more about these very rare cars - can anyone suggest authoritative sources, or better yet, suggest any real people I can contact who have first hand knowledge of these?

Any tips appreciated!

Alan Oldfield

• Like 1

IF I remember correctly, there were some of these at the 75th Anniversary meet in Flint?  There were some parked on the outer edge of the show field, in a group.  All black exterior.  Bench seat, column shift, with "Grand National" logos on them. Built to homologate the model for NASCAR racing, which could limit their production run to about 500 or so?

Congrats on finding such a rare Buick!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was a manufacturing engineer at Buick City when we built these.  For the most part, Buick needed to build something like 300 cars with the special aero package, most notably the filler panel on the rear quarter glass, to make it a "production" body to be legal in NASCAR.  I don't recall much more than that.  Hope it helps.

I have also read that because it was made for NASCAR, most of the cars went to dealers in the south east.   I saw one on the road 25 years ago in Harrisburg PA but could not make contact with the owner.   Factory pictures are very limited.....I have some from BCA national meets that I can share when my computer gets home from the hospital.   Toth in Ohio had one for sale at one of the national meets within the past 10 years.