How to get to the hvac control panel bulbs?

96roadmaster

Eric, they came out well, looks great. I'm doing same process on 63, including the strip LED in the shift quadrant.

You must have tiny tiny hands on really really long arms with grips of steel in those fingers?

Some of those dash lights are almost impossible to get to unless you are a contortionist. My dash is still in place and find the HI BEAM, TURN SIGNAL ones almost impossible to get to.

Must admit, I'm happy with the results so will persevere, but my mutilated hands are telling me something else!

Again, thanks for the LED strip idea, this is what I come up with. You buy them in sections and they are sticky backed. I used some JB Weld that dries clear just to make sure. To make it removable, using a twin plug and socket for power and earth.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Eric, they came out well, looks great. I'm doing same process on 63, including the strip LED in the shift quadrant.

You must have tiny tiny hands on really really long arms with grips of steel in those fingers?

Some of those dash lights are almost impossible to get to unless you are a contortionist. My dash is still in place and find the HI BEAM, TURN SIGNAL ones almost impossible to get to.

Must admit, I'm happy with the results so will persevere, but my mutilated hands are telling me something else!

Again, thanks for the LED strip idea, this is what I come up with. You buy them in sections and they are sticky backed. I used some JB Weld that dries clear just to make sure. To make it removable, using a twin plug and socket for power and earth.

Hey Rodney,

True that with the tiny hands and long arms... :lol:  After I almost broke my back (as a contortionist I am relatively bad), I decided to remove the Dashpad to get better to the lights ... It makes the access immensely easier!

You're welcome Rodney, the idea with the strip was actually obvious as I thought, how da hell can I illuminate all letters evenly??? (with one small light bulb is impossible). I'm glad to see that I could help you!

Uhh, now you welded in with epoxy, I hope you will never have a problem with a single LED :wacko:! I glued mine with hot glue, wich can be removed with a hair dryer (or even put the whole unit in the deep freeze for a hour or so, to take off the glue from the metal with a single hit) and change the whole strip. But anyway, good work looks great and well done with the plugs! (Best solution to be able to remove the whole unit).

Cheerz,
Schmiddy

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

I did all my lights except the uppermost bulb on the speedometer. I just can't get to it, and am hesitant to pull off a 50+ year old dashpad for one bulb.

The LED's have such a strong light spread that you can't really tell the difference actually.

• Like 1