Help ID this car please

Buick 59

Maybe even a later year, perhaps during WWII, based on the car's neglected appearance, headlight and grille damaged, and I don't clearly see double grooves that are supposed to be in the center of '36's bumpers. The chrome appears dull too, it may be a transplant bumper from another make, a Chrysler product maybe.  
Any guesses what the car in the background is?  A tough one.....Wild guess would be a ca. '39 Ford.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Maybe even a later year, perhaps during WWII, based on the car's neglected appearance, headlight and grille damaged, and I don't clearly see double grooves that are supposed to be in the center of '36's bumpers. The chrome appears dull too, it may be a transplant bumper from another make, a Chrysler product maybe.  
Any guesses what the car in the background is?  A tough one.....Wild guess would be a ca. '39 Ford.

Yea, and from the length of the shadows, I'd say it was taken at 3:15 PM....:D

I think the headlight damage is really a black-out shade. Probably during WW2.

Edited by oldford (see edit history)

Wow, thanks so much guys! 

Leif, can you post that same pic without the red circles...I'd like to forward it along with the good news that you all were able to identify the car. 
At the very least, the pic could be dated to be no older than 1936, and probably a few years thereafter based on the condition of the car.

Thanks again

2 hours ago, DLynskey said:

The one in the background looks like a rear view to me. Instead of a grille I see a trunk lid with a high-mounted center license tag. But I'm on an iPad with a small screen.

Don

I agree and I think it might be a 1935 Chrysler Airstream with the two vertical bright trim pieces on the trunk lid....

1935 Chrysler Airstream.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Interesting theory about the vertical trims John.  Coincidentally in '35 some Oldsmobiles had them too on hump back sedans, but not on all models of them, perhaps just the L35 (8 cyl.) sedans.  With the poor picture quality in the background we may never solve exactly what that car is.

It almost looks like the car in the background has the taillights mounted slightly higher than the Chrysler lights.

10 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Here's the 35 Olds and the tail lights are higher.. I know a guy who has the trunk for this car. He always tries to sell it to me. Hey, John I'm surprised you're talking yourself out of your original assessment

Image result for 1935 oldsmobile

I can ALWAYS learn more.

On 10/29/2016 at 8:04 PM, Dave Henderson said:

Interesting theory about the vertical trims John.  Coincidentally in '35 some Oldsmobiles had them too on hump back sedans, but not on all models of them, perhaps just the L35 (8 cyl.) sedans.  With the poor picture quality in the background we may never solve exactly what that car is.

I was wrong about never solving this one, a pretty positive identity HAS been made, thanks to John's enhanced picture.