Help needed with truck axle id

Guest 58_Rnchero

Guest 58_Rnchero

I have had these axles in storage for years.  I bought them years ago from a gentleman who collected antique vehicles and parts, but he didn't know what they came off of.  I pulled them out to take photos to see if anyone has any idea what make and model vehicle they are for.  I imagine that it must a big truck of some kind from the early 1900's, but I'm not sure.  Thanks in advance for your help!

DSC02294.JPG

DSC02292.JPG

DSC02296.JPG

DSC02297.JPG

DSC02298.JPG

DSC02299.JPG

DSC02300.JPG

DSC02303.JPG

DSC02304.JPG

DSC02306.JPG

I think that the differential was original behind the sold axle, the axle shafts went into the holes on the rear of the backing plates with a secondary gear driving the drums from inside giving another reduction in the gearing. If the drums have internal gears it would support this. 

Guest 58_Rnchero

Wow, you guys are great!  I just went out and took a closer look at the axles and yes, TheMoneyPit, you are right.  I looked closely in the hole in the backing plates and sure enough, it has a ring gear in it that would mesh with a gear on the end of a shaft.  Does anyone have an idea what era of trucks would have this kind of a configuration?  Now if I can just figure out what make of truck it was for.   So you think it might be a Republic, nzcarnerd?   Mack trucks were also yellow weren't they?  Thanks again!