Xander Wildeisen

1955 Desoto power steering

Does any one know if there is any kit or rebuild parts out there for a 1955 Desoto power steering box? My guess at this point is it just needs new seals inside, leaks under pressure. Anything available, or just piece it together?

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Called him, he said all he had was NOS kits. And they are long gone, he stated that for the most part it is just O rings. One funny seal with a hole in the middle. Not sure if some one knows if a newer rebuild kit will have some seals that will work? Just doing some leg work before the car gets here. And I tear the power box down to see what the problem is

Well, crap!

If it gets to the point of teardown (which is seeming likely)  Motion Industries can be good for individual parts, IF you can get the specs from the old ones and go through the ordeal of figuring out what the modern interchange is.

The world would have been a much better place if they invented the interwebs a hundred years ago...

Very likely O rings and lip seals that are readily available from your local bearing supply store. Worn shafts often can be repaired with a sleeve also available from the same store. All at a cost way way lower than a "kit" or a commercial rebuilder............Bob

1 hour ago, steve at larescorp said:

Lares corporation does not offer a kit for rebuild, but you could send us your steering gear box and we could rebuild it for you. 

I called and spoke with some one there and got a price for the rebuild. Just trying to give the customer a few choices, with different options. Not worried about tearing it down myself. The down side to sending it out is, I now have a two ton paper weight sitting in my shop. If you have parts for rebuilding them, will you not sell them? And if not, Why? What is the turn around time, if you had it today. When would a person get it back?

We don't sell any individual rebuild parts, or kits because we offer a limited lifetime warranty on our parts. To offer that we need to make sure all rebuilding is done in house to our specifications. 

Turnaround time for a gear right now is 2-3 weeks. The time can vary according to the amount of orders in front of yours. We rebuild on a first come, first serve basis. 

Here's a Mopar power steering gear worm that is from a ps of about your year.  It was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with a new bearing.  In very good condition, it's true coloration isn't brownish.  I have no need for it, $35 to your door.  Please pm me if interested.

MVC-294S.JPG