'67 HOLY GRILL NOS!

PWB

Behold 1967 fans: The HOLY GRAIL (grill) of grills.

Bestowed upon us from the Buick gods, the most rare of rarities - never installed N.O.S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-BUICK-RIVIERA-NOS-GM-CHROME-GRILLE-pt-9710586-/361768930515?fits=Year%3A1967|Make%3ABuick|Model%3ARiviera&hash=item543b1bccd3:g:OqEAAOSwh2xX~9hp&vxp=mtr

What a tease! Would cost as much to re-chrome. Not mine but I sure WISH it was :wub:

Some lucky dog will scoop this up and bust a knuckle swapping.

s-l1600.jpg

You are right. Its a lot of money. But I did get a re-chrome quote for my grill months ago. Has a few road chips. They wanted $1500 + Ship!

I guess its all the nooks and crannies? It is a huge piece. I bought  the NOS headlamp louvers.

- Flip side to all this is some can afford it. I for one have no expectation on getting any of my restoration efforts (financially) returned.

I'm in it for the passion / sacrifice. Being a perfectionist has serious cost / pain.

Maybe I'll use PayPals' payment plan....:blink:

Well they sure don't come up for sale too often.  Not to say there wasn't more but this is maybe the 3rd one I recall seeing in 25 years.  Even more rare in NOS is the 66 grille. 

I paid $800 for a high end rechrome on a 66 grille. They are difficult to do. Then spent another several hours authentically recreating the detail paint. 

$1750 is very optimistic and seeking needle in haystack buyer. Looking at pics on my phone the chrome doesn't look to good.

I will ill say these pot metal grilles pitted very easy. They are easy to find used but almost always have pitting. There is a small demographic who invests way more money on restoration vs value because they have disposable income and don't care.  I quit being surprised what someone will pay for rare parts. 

They have hi-res images. The chrome appears impeccable.

JZ - was it a nightmare to swap yours out?

I'm good with Legos, but this seems like a more monumental task with the hide-aways.

And the grill can easily crack, not installed. Yikes :unsure:

7 hours ago, PWB said:

They have hi-res images. The chrome appears impeccable.

JZ - was it a nightmare to swap yours out?

I'm good with Legos, but this seems like a more monumental task with the hide-aways.

And the grill can easily crack, not installed. Yikes :unsure:

Removing the grille isn't a bad job actually. Removing, reinstalling, and aligning the front bumper is the worst part of job IMO. 

By the way That 67 grille Tom has was one of the 3 I saw for sale when he bought it. 

Since it is probably the only NOS grill available for sale on planet earth and all the used ones are very

pitted, I'd say the part is priced about right. I don't own a '67, but if I had a gorgeous one that I competed at shows with and

that part was the only bad part on my car, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, no question. If my car was a typical #3 condition driver, then no

it wouldn't make sense.....kind of like putting lipstick on the Mona Lisa. I paid 675.00 for the last  NOS set of door edge guards on planet earth for a 65  Riviera and feel lucky to have gotten them that cheap. I got most of my money back a year later when I got

500.00 for a best of show award with my car.......it never would have won the award with the dented door edge  guards that were

on the car....they were holding the car back.  A fellow that used to sell impossible to find NOS parts for GTO's back in the 90's had a saying that applies here:  "Buy this part only if your marriage is on solid ground!"

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well stated, Seafoam! And funny. :P

After all, it is the FACE of the car. Almost the first thing people look at?

Congrats on best of show.

I think I'm gonna try to get wifey's permission on this one. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it. Heck, its almost X-mas - right???

Winston I am with you too.  There are other more plentiful things that have seemingly outrageous prices that seem like foolish investments.  Beauty and Value is in the eye of the beholder/buyer.  If you are taking something from good to great, it is worth it.  If is great to see that there is some supply of such items still available and not bulldozed over when an old dealership gets demolished.

Rock On

gord

• 1 month later...

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I finally bought possibly this last one on the planet.  :unsure:

I got multiple re-chrome estimates ranging from $1000 - to $2000.

- Such a delicate piece, running the risk getting a crack in the process.

At least I have a spare or if someone needs one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

. . . as rare as it is, someone had to have it, and it might as well be you Paul !

It will probably cost yah quite a few 'honeydews' in addition to the purchase price though? LOL

Enjoy that shiny new face - you could always sell your original and recoup part of the expense.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

. . . as rare as it is, someone had to have it, and it might as well be you Paul !

It will probably cost yah quite a few 'honeydews' in addition to the purchase price though? LOL

Enjoy that shiny new face - you could always sell your original and recoup part of the expense.  

Wife just reamed me a new one.

I'm in the dog house for life....

• Haha 1

I looked at all that vendor's sold items and everything looked to be the highest quality and NOS. You never get hurt when you buy the best.
 Everything I ever was accused of paying too much for has a good memory attached. The bargain stuff is gone.

I knew a guy who :refurbished" a Mustang and kept bragging about the great deals on repop parts; $23 for this, $31 for that. He got all done and I KNOW he lied to me about how much he sold it for. No one wanted it.

Looking at the evaluations of high prices, I guess the question would be, how much should it cost and how did one arrive at that figure?

To Wives, they must always be held under The Male Mystique. Mine saw a car in my garage with the shop manual lying on the seat. She asked "Why do they pay you so much to fix the car when they have the instructions?" "Male mystique, like to go out to dinner on that charging problem?"

• Like 1

Oh, when I was a kid my Grandfather told me his marriage license was the best investment he made in his life. $2 for the license and $10,000 worth of BS thrown in for nothing. And that was 1950's money!

I was advised and prepared.

Bernie

• Haha 1

We slipped this off a flatbed and into my garage. It was somewhat costly.

015.jpg

A friend and his wife stopped by and the women strolled out to the garage while we husbands looked over the new treasure. My friend's wife looked at mine and asked "You let him buy that thing?"

After they left she asked me what the woman meant. I told her I didn't know. Maybe she disliked foreign cars.

Some time later I told my Wife I had sold the old car, want to go to dinner at that place we like to go for our anniversary? She was happy.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

OMG........never tell the wife about such nonsense and less she is a bigger car buff than you are!

Kind'a difficult to hide the big box with jewelry in it...not for her. :rolleyes:

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I looked at all that vendor's sold items and everything looked to be the highest quality and NOS. You never get hurt when you buy the best.
 Everything I ever was accused of paying too much for has a good memory attached. The bargain stuff is gone.

I knew a guy who :refurbished" a Mustang and kept bragging about the great deals on repop parts; $23 for this, $31 for that. He got all done and I KNOW he lied to me about how much he sold it for. No one wanted it.

Looking at the evaluations of high prices, I guess the question would be, how much should it cost and how did one arrive at that figure?

To Wives, they must always be held under The Male Mystique. Mine saw a car in my garage with the shop manual lying on the seat. She asked "Why do they pay you so much to fix the car when they have the instructions?" "Male mystique, like to go out to dinner on that charging problem?"

Check out this pro's crate! Now that's the way

$_12.jpg

• Like 1

It feels good to get stuff treated like it is the treasure you expected. I have had shipping boxes like that made by a carpenter friend. Fifty bucks, easily plus drop off and picking up.

The seller knows how to make a deal feel great.

Bernie

• Thanks 1

PWB, after browsing the topic " Sad, so sad" you can chuck away all the shiny metal bits and use the timber for your new grille. A bit of sand paper and some stain would make an awesome piece to put out front.

And if you wanted to, you could resell the metal grille to recoupe some of your costs.

Post some pics when your done, love to see it!

( ps 2 glasses of red wine + Buick Riviera Forum = Automotive Silliness)

Rodney

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:12 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

PWB, after browsing the topic " Sad, so sad" you can chuck away all the shiny metal bits and use the timber for your new grille. A bit of sand paper and some stain would make an awesome piece to put out front.

And if you wanted to, you could resell the metal grille to recoupe some of your costs.

Post some pics when your done, love to see it!

( ps 2 glasses of red wine + Buick Riviera Forum = Automotive Silliness)

Rodney

Wine + Land Yachts = expensive hobby.

Sour Mash here. Cheers!!! :lol:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was recently in a Jimmy John`s restaurant and on the wall was posted a "words of wisdom" poster which I related to...."there is a thin line between a hobby and mental illness". I generally describe my involvement in the old car hobby as "a hobby on steroids"...the wife has never commented, a rare occurrence for sure,

Tom Mooney

• Like 1