A Great Great Loss

Ron Lawson

I have just lost the best friend that any one could ever have. My Dear Father-in-law passed away at the age of 90 years and 8 days old. My wife and I traveled back from the DB rally in Warwick to cellerbrate his 90th birthday with family and friends and sadly he slipped away 8 days later after a short illness 

Here was a man that took me under his wing and taught me so much about old cars and with that we spent 20 years restoring the 1913 Mors that I now own. I have never met a person with as much patience that he had and he sure needed it with me 

Sadly for the last 11 years of his life he was confined to a wheelchair and was in an aged care facility however this did not diminish his love for our old cars At Christmas time in 2012 I arranged with the nursing home to borrow a harness that the use to lift patients into beds and with the aid of my engine hoist we lifted Peter into the back seat of the Mors and took him for a ride.  I will never forget the smile on his face and the gleam in his eyes That was the best Christmas present that I have ever had  We attended many shows mostly pre 1919 cars with me wheeling him in his chair 

God Bless you Peter 

Hi Ron,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of your father-in-law. Just reading about you getting him into the car at Christmas and the smile on his face really gets to you.

I think the image of him in the back seat and the smile on his face will stay with you forever.

Take care

Ian 

We laid my Dear Father-in-law to rest today I have never had to say a eulogy before and I struggled with this My dear wife came and supported me I thank everyone for their kind words of condolence Yes Ian that smile and the glow in his eyes at that time will stay with  forever     Rest in Peace Peter 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Shannon for your kind words There is a large void in our lives as Pop as I called him was such a large part of our every day life. I will miss visiting him in the aged care facility but most of all having him down to our place for the day to spend time with me in the workshop. He was an avid old car man and he spent many hours going over the photos that we took in Detroit asking "Where do you know these people from " or "Have I met these people " His greatest joy was when we took him to a old car meet and he caught up with his old mates from the club  There were in excess of 120 people to say farewell at his funeral Thank you again and hugs to you guys as well  Ron

Sorry to hear about your loss Ron..

Never easy to deal with losing someone so close but it is true what they say, time does heal wounds brother...

Your admiration for this man is very prevalent and heart felt by all of us.  Those of us that have encountered deep loss understand the struggle you have in your journey to cope. Keep in mind, he would want you to continue to enjoy the things you shared together, it's important and good therapy in many ways....

Hang in there, we're all pulling for you and your family in this time of loss. God Bless, stay strong, and always remember, you have a worldwide community of friends here thinking and praying for you and yours.

Best regards,
Dave