What gas tank fits a 1937 Dictator

Guest GeorgeCagle

Guest GeorgeCagle

Greetings all, my gas tank has a fine powered rust that is forming and blocking the fuel outlet.  I have taken the tank off a couple of times and cleaned it.  This works for about a year then it happens again.  My tank is not the original but fits very well.  I would like to replace it rather than use some type of liner that might fail in the future.  The car is a 4-door Dictator.  What other tanks will fit close to original?

Thanks!

PIC-2102.jpg

The only other tank that is correct and right for your car is the '37 President. The '36s are very close but the filler neck is on the left (drivers) side on that year (right on '37). In any event both 1936 and '37 both difficult to find.  

George, I used a 41 Chevy tank from Tanks Inc.   I also used a flexible rubber fuel filler tube from Bob Drake to connect the original tube which holds the cap to the tank.   I had to make a bracket to stabilize the tube but that wasn't difficult.   I don't recall if the short tube on the tank came with it or not.   PICT0022.JPGPICT0019-1.JPGPICT0020.JPGPICT0021.JPGPICT0018.JPGPICT0022.JPG

Guest GeorgeCagle

I know I don't have a chance of finding an original tank.  All of the extra ones probable went toward the war effort in WWII.  As I said earlier, my tank is not original but it fits.  It had General Truck Sales, Nashville, TN stenciled on it and according to the internet that place closed down years ago.  So, no chance of finding out what my tank is. 

Thanks for letting me know that the '41 Chevy will fit.  I see that the Tanks Inc. site has one in stainless but it is a little deeper.  I will investigate that and see if I have room.

Thank you!

George,

I installed one of the Chevy tanks on my CE.  I did not like the rubber extension for the filler as it failed within a year.  I will get some pics of what I did do for you.  In addition, I had to modify the frame, ever so slightly so the sending unit would fit there. Maybe there was a way to get the tank in without doing that, but it worked out doing that. Lastly, I had the advantage of doing the tank while the body was off so it worked out pretty easy for me- maybe not so easy for you having to do it all from underneath.

My tank was shot. Have you checked into professional restoration of the original tank?

My original rubber fuel filler tube failed within a year also.   I called Bob Drake  told them what had happened and it was replaced with what I believe is an improved product as it has been on the car for over 5 years now with no sign of deterioration.