1935 Ford air filter

Guest Leonard Brody

Guest Leonard Brody

Hi, is this filter for the 1935 Ford. Can I replace the inside elements. Do you have to oil the filter and how much. Thanks

IMG_7968.JPG

You may want to try one of the '35 Ford parts suppliers. If they don't have the element, there is a company that sells the element material and/ or the complete unit by size but I can't think of the name right now. R & L or something like that, they also sell clips. I'll have to find it and repost.

Leonard,

If 34 & 35 are the same, which I agree they should be, yours is something else.  My 35 PU  has a heavy duty air filter with a much bigger tank and a snorklel and our 34 passenger cars have ones like the 36 pictured on Ebay.

Leonard, what is the part number on the piece.  If it is a Ford part for 1935 , the number will begin with 48- (can't remember the air cleaner part number off hand).  The one pictured resembles the 1935-36 type.  1934 parts begin "40A-"; 1935 parts begin "48-";  1936 parts begin "68-"; 1937 parts begin "78-". 

There were 2 kinds of filters, oil bath and oil wetted mesh. Take the top off and see if there is an oil reservoir in the bottom, if there is, you will see a line and the words  ------------ Fill To Line ---------- or similar.

Either oil bath or mesh, rinse the filter in varsol, kerosene or your favorite solvent. Let it drip dry. Do not blow air, you can make holes in the mesh. Pour some 50 weight motor oil on and reinstall. If there is an oil reservoir fill to the line with 50 weight.

You never have to replace this type of filter, they last the life of the car if properly cared for.

The photo on top is a stock 1936 V-8 air cleaner on an award winning 1936 Ford at Auburn 2011. 

The photo on the bottom is an original stock 1934 air cleaner on a Rouge Award Winning Ford at Springfield 2014. 

They are very very similar. 

DSCF5743.JPG

DSCF9670.JPG

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)