Russell Motor Cars of Toronto, Canada

I cannot tell whether this is for poppet valve or sleeve valve engine types.  There are surviving Russells in Australia, but not many.  Arthur Lang and I drove in to a property in North-Western New South Wales on spec, because it was far enough from anywhere to have interesting antique car remains.  Sure enough there was basis of a dismantled sleeve valve Russell.  We did not have enough spare load capacity to bring it back then; but Arthur made another trip and rescued it.   I recall that we picked up a big fixed head side valve Sunbeam cylinder block with 4-bolt connecting rods still attached.  It was the bigger model than the 3 litre 12/16hp job that was most common.  We could find no other parts of the Sunbeam

• 2 months later...

It's a sales pitch, for sure, but Russell cars were not uncommon.  A quick search of the 1913 British Columbia motor vehicle registrations (available on http://bcpl8s.ca) shows 7 Russells listed in the first 200 registrations.  That's 3.5% and a far cry from the Ford and Cadillacs listed.

B.C. is a long ways from Toronto, though.  I'm sure the numbers would be much higher in Ontario.

Peter

• Like 1

There were Russell agencies as far away as Australia, but I believe they were just in Commonwealth countries.  Here is a picture of a row of Russell cars at Toronto City Hall, circa 1909.  The man in the bowler hat in the front car is T.A. Russell.  Apparently, he went on to become the president of the Massey-Harris (later Ferguson) company.

We have several Russells in our local HCCA group. 

Peter

Line_of_Russell_cars_outside_Toronto_City_Hall.jpg