Parts for 1930 or 1931 Chevrolet

scott12180

Hey guys,

I recall hearing somewhere that one year of Chevrolet Sixes of the early 1930s, the 1930 or maybe the 1931, was a "tough year for parts" because the parts are unique to that year only.  If it was '31, 1930 parts don't fit, nor to 1932 parts.  Any truth to that? Or have I got it all wrong?

There's a 1930 Coupe available locally which I'm interested in, but I've never owned a Chevy of that vintage.  How are parts availability for a 1930?   I'd imagine that parts are not as easy to come by as they would be for Model A Fords.

Also, anyone know what the rear axle ratio is on a 1930?  Some sources say 3.82 and others say 4.11.  That's quite a difference.

The "big book" of US cars shows 3.82

There are plenty of used and repro parts for that year. 

One item not reproduced is the cylinder head.  Some people say they are prone to cracks.  There are used ones out there.  If it runs good and does not overheat, don't worry about it at all....because we only hear about the bad ones, not the ones that lasted forever  :)

Wood is a concern; make sure it is good.  Look at door fit, and wherever you can see.

The VCCA website has a very active forum for that year range of 29-32.  They will help with any issue you ever have

It is hard to find parts for a 32 also.  I can't even get a picture of the trunk lid supports that I need from anyone.

I asked the members on this site and got nothing.  If you find someone that may have some parts for a 32, please let me know.

Good Luck

What parts are you looking for ?  I have a 1932 Sedan 4dr  . Parts are out there if you what you are looking at  !   I have had mine for over 40 years drive it a lot  . Don't let the wood worry you people make like its a big deal  . A lot of parts  are repo  Filling Station is a great source...Kings32 

• 4 weeks later...

F and J is on with his comments. Though Chevy outsold  Ford in 31, there are very few chevys left, because of the wood.

years by desirability would be 32 first, then 31 and 30 and 29 are about equal. they all had the 6 cyl engine.

as mentioned, watch out for a bad head. each year has unique features, but there is some ex changeability in the mechanicals and very little in body parts.

even the wheels shrank in size pretty much yearly.

every time I needed a part for my 31 roadster, I found myself buying a bulk of parts to get the ones I wtd, and then reselling what I didnt need.

Fords are soooooooo much easier.

good luck!

yeah 1929-1932 changes made parts fun to find... some were superseded to a new part, some were unique to ONE year only. fun finding certain parts for my 1929 !! in fact in 1929 there was an early version and a late version of the engine !! i have the early version, open pushrod cover and sealed valve cover...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are on this site I assume you are not going to belly button the car, and are looking to possibly get into another aspect of the old car hobby.  The 31 is possibly the easiest of the early Chevs to find parts for.  At this point it is getting a little more difficult but not impossible to find most if not all needed parts, however they are not cheap.  There are several firms that reproduce and supply QUALITY parts including the wood structural components.  Of the early Chev sedans the 31 is in my opinion the most stately.  It may take a little sorting out but with some patience and perseverance you will have an automobile you could pass on to your kids.  They run well, and stop well if everything is in good order.  Top comfortable speed is 50 to 55 mph, and will have a final drive ratio of 4.11 to 1.  The last year of the 3.82 to 1 was 29.  There are no synchronizers in any gear so double clutching will be required, just like your model A.     

• Like 1