Level Ride Torsion

MBL

Hello friends. Tim here. I had the fortune to speak to a nice gentleman yesterday about my new perchase. He explained to me that the Torsion level ride was a woderful thing. It has go me wondering though. Is this system one that is likely to break or malfunction? If so is it something that I would be able to service? I am mostly hands on and am confident that I will be able to fix the system should it be broken provided that the parts can be serviced. Are there ways that I can tell if the system is working properly? Again I will be getting the service manual as soon as I can but am anxious to get started. Thanks for any help.<BR>Tim<BR>MBL

Tim: Once you have battery power you can tell if the T-L is working properly if it self-levels after a 7-10 second delay. Sitting on the rear bumper usually works to induce an out-of-level condition. If it doesn't do anything, then there are myriad possibilities. The simplest is to check the OFF/ON switch on the underside of the dash near the driver's door. Switch it to the other position and see if it levels. If not, then the diagnostics gets a little more complicated. <P>The service manual provides an electrical schematic and some diagnostic procedures. There are also some aftermarket replacement parts available for the leveler control box and stoplight override switch (from PAC & PI affiliates and vendors).<P>When the T-L is working properly it is indeed a wonder and will really WOW the onlookers when demo'd!<P>Here's some info on the Torsion-Level on my website: <A HREF="http://www.1956Packardpanther.com/index-page43.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.1956Packardpanther.com/index-page43.html</A><p>[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Craig LV ]

Tim: One of the simplest tests is to raise the drivers side of the car and crawl underneath and look up to where the wires connet to the compensator motor. Run some #10 guage wire from each of the two connections to a live electrical source and see of the motor actually works, if it does not then you have serious problems that, in my humble opinion, should be handled by an expert in torsion motors with the proper tools. However if it does work then the problems is either in the switch or the brain box. I chose to put in a manual switch right next to the on/off that craig mentioned. My setup works the way it is supposed to occasionally but there are times when it gets tempermental and I have to mannually work the thing myself. The other solution, and one I have toyed with, is a solid state brain box, that is advertised in the Cormorant for about $90. At shows that I have goe to I have amazed the kids with the self leveling feature of my Patrician, especially when I tell them that this came out 50 years ago long before the current crop of low riders hit the drawing boards. Of course they can do it quicker and longer but Packard was the first.

Well I figure that I will change out all of the wire that I can. At least what I can get to. This way I can rule that out for any trouble. As of yet I am not sure if it works or not. I don't have a battery yet.<BR>Tim<BR>MBL

Tim: Just a note to keep you informed, there is a large Packard contingent in Sarasota. It is headed by Tom Kaiser. He throws a big show around November. It's mostly older cars. I went to it about 3 or 4 years ago, and it was a pretty impressive meet. If you go this year you might be able to get more first hand info. Look for it in the Cormorant newsletter.

Cool! I will look out for that. On a torsion note; I took a look at the under the drivers side of the car and saw where some of this stuff is. It seems to not be too dirty or rusted under the car so I am crossing my fingers. Its wierd. When you first look under the car you don't notice the torsion bars right away. At least if the car is not jacked up and your checking it from the side. Everything is threaded through the frame rails. Crazy... I will keep everyone posted with my progress. <BR>Tim<BR>MBL