51 Packard A/C

Well Phase one is complete. I have procurred the alternator, compressor, dryer, and condensor from a 92 Geo Tracker. Phase 2 will be to get an under dash blower. I have a line on an under-dash blower unit out of Albany GA. It's brand new from an A/C shop that has a lot of obsolete units that it is trying to get rid of. Phase three will be to have one of the local hot rodders come over and see if he can make up bracketts to fit. The condensor will fit in front of the radiator with room to spare. I will have to relocate the horns but not by much. The one stumbling block that I Ca see is the types of belts I wil have to use. The tracker uses those multi-ribbed type while the Packard uses the old style belts. I already have he double pulley on the cranksshaft as the previous owner had installed 52 power steering. This problem can be solved(I think) by hving the pulleys changed on the alterntor and the compressor. Anybody got any usefull ideas on whether or not that is even possible. I think it is for he Alternator but am not sure on the compressor

Peter: That route was considered. However the cheapest unit i could find was $495.00. If I were doing this for my self that is the way I would go, however I am only doing this because we have sold the car and the guy wants A/C. He is not a Packard afficianado, knows nothing of the history, and could not even tell you who Packard was made by, he just loved the car. All he plans to do with the car is drive it to church and an occasional drive in the country. He does not even plan to show the car, has never been to a car show. I would have preferred a different buyer but when a guy comes to you with cash in hand and a promise to pay the balance fairly quickly, a motivated seller does not throw up barriers.<BR>Thanks

Al - any chance we can talk you out of using an under-dash unit ..? <P>My own personal prejudice is that those "under dash" units really "tacky up" a car. Did you see my suggestion about putting the evaporator/blower in the trunk, and have it blow out the package shelf..? You don't HAVE to have those plastic ducts they had on the orig '53-56 units...it will disperse refrigerated air just fine.<P>I know that DRAKE AIR (which advertisies in Hemmings) has a trunk-mounted evap. for sale, as, I am sure, the other after-market mfgs. do. Another nice thing about trunk-mounted evaps - you can use "off the shelf" air filters on them to get the pollen out of the air.<P>Those cute little air intakes that appeared on GM trunk units were to bring in OUTSIDE air...I never saw the sense in that...whole idea of mechanical refrigeration...is to isolated the interior so you can de-humidify it (especially in YOUR climite..I would want to take advantage of that...!).<P>As for belts, if it was me, I'd try and make up a 2nd "grove" type double pulley, rather than try to figure out how to make a "serpentine" work on yours.<P>Good luck..and keep us posted.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ

Hi again..Al..<P>I have confidence in you...you are a pretty devoted guy to those post-war cars...work on your "buyer"....may be a real challenge..but hopefully you can make a devoted Packard "buff" out of him...GOOD LUCK !<P>Pete Hartmann

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know which is web-site is rite or which one is wrong. BUT, one freak'in thing IS for sure: WE are getting alot of CONTRADICTORY information from Vendors and suppliers. <P>Maybe it's only flanmmable in 1965 Packard V12's????

I kinda would take the goverment a little more serious than some of the manufactures out there. My father was in the business for 35+ years (and still has a bottle of R12) and said that some of the replacements are not only flammable , but can be very toxic as well. Maybe we should go back to sulfur dioxide mix, at least you new real fast if you had a leak. Other thing is insurance, what happens if you happen to store your barBQ in your garage with the tank, will your insurance cover the damage to your packard if you have a fire because you stored propane indoors? how about the car containing Propane? confused.gif" border="0

Propane is a heavier-than-air gas. If you did have a leak..the very small amount of propane in the system would probably harmlessly go down and dissipate. Propane makes an excellent refrigerant.<P>But you are correct to worry about flammable liquids in motor vehicles. I think you should give this some serious thought.<P>I have been meaning to tell you this...just found out the shocking news about your car....and it has me shaking in fear for you...did you know..(you'd better sit down)...your car was sabatoged at the factory...it was actualy sent out from the factory with a highly inflammable, in fact..EXPLOSIVE substance that is pumped under pressure...RIGHT INTO THE ENGINE. It is called GASOLINE !<P>Pete Hartmann

There are times when I have to seriously question the ancestory of people in the business world. I have farmed the A/C installation job to a young man in Columbus, who has given me a fair price. If you remember back in my original post I mentioned that I would have problems with belts. A week ago I thought I had the problem solved. The local electric shop put on a 'v' belt pulley on the Geo alternator. Last week I contacted an outfit who said they had a 'v' belt pulley for the a/c compressor. Now that I am ready to proceed, they not only tell me that there is no 'v' belt pulley for the compressor, but they also do not deal retail to the public only wholesale. Now I have to reverse my strategy and try to find a serpentine belt pulley that i can either bolt on or weld to my generator as that is what will actually drive this whole system. Is it unreasonable to expect truth and such up front at the beginning or am I just being too logical.

Al K:<P>I must be missing something here....what is the "big deal" about finding a standard "v" belt pulley to fit the shaft of your alternator ?<P>Incidentally...what is so magical about a Geo's electrical system. If the alternator's shaft is metric, what's the big deal about chucking the thing in a lathe and boring and sleeving the pulley to fit the alternator's shaft... ?<P>Why not just get a "small case" Delco (which has its own built in regulatr - puts out around 60 amps...or WAY more than you need...you can get these at any big parts house, freshly re-built, for maybe fifty bucks - I dont remember the exact years they were in use on all GM cars - roughly late 60's thru mid 80's.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ

I've seen the DHMO thing several times. Beware also of the equally dangerous hydrogenic alcohol, Alcoholic acid, and hydrogen hydride. <P>BTW, the correct term for something that burns is "inflammable." "Flammable" is a made up word which has passed into common usage. As has, (cringe), "gage" to protect the spelling impaired.<P>End of rant

split55555, in 1934 (that year only) Lionel misspelled the word "guage" on their center-rail pickup plates. I would guess that they got enough calls to embarass them into correcting it for '35 and later. blush.gif" border="0<BR>BH, your DMHO was not only funny but instructive, too many times people will believe what they read in print regardless of any proof or later apology for error.<BR>YFAM, Randy Berger grin.gif" border="0

What you say Peter is all well and good for some big metro area up north or out in Arizona, but here in the brain dead area of Columbus, Ga. and/or Phenix City Al. finding someone who knows and understands what you just listed is one thing and then find someone who knows how to do it is something else. <BR>Remember the old chat room, some half-baked comment you made about billy-bobs back yard mechaninc shop, you don't have a clue as to how close to the truth you were. Anything that requires imagination and/or thinking is just not possible around her. They don't even know the civil war is over.

gage OR gAUge (not guage) is correct. GAUge is probably more widely used in the states. Gage (with no 'u') is British use usually involving voulme measures.

i think Pete gave u some good advice there on the alternator. The 73 Chev impala 350 v8 alternator is probably NOT much bigger than the Geo. It will have 'V' belt pulley and internal regulator. I bought one about 2 years at AZO for $36 + tax w/ lifetime warranty. THIS same alternator was used for many years and IS the alternator of choice for nearly all and every retro fit and custom applications performed thru out the world. I know u dont like Chebby's BUT, their track record is THE track record.

Al. Your not alone. Thursday i stopped at Home Depot to buy 2 flourescent tubes. The whole shopping experience (all 5 minutes of it) went just fine until i got to the checkout counter. The man at the cash register scanned the tubes, turned around to the cash register. pressed a button and asked - "i need your zip code". I told him NO!. He turned his head to me and gave me a dirty stare down look. I wont bore anyone with the details of this that followed but the bottom line is that he was going to force me to give him a zip code. After it was all over, Home Depot knew who i was AND the sound of my voice as well as a few new words i'm a little ashamed of having used right now.<P>Its getting to where handling undesireable situations in a cool, calm and profesional manner is no longer a reasonable option that works. And, i do not have any reputation for a bad temper. I AM beginning to develope one.

Al K:<P>I do recall making some sort of nasty remark about the average mechanic these days, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings. However, permit me to brag just a bit about my sarcastic comments - apparently, you are coming around to some of my prejudices.....VERY dangerous...when you find yourself agreeing with me..next step..is ..oh...just get it over with...get yourself a sign like mine...that says..NASTY OLD CODGER....!<P>Seriously, however valid my sarcasam is about the low level of quality amongst auto buffs and vendors these days, there are still some damn good people around in all phases of the hobby. <P>I disagree with your black view..it isnt THAT bad ! I suggest you dig a little deeper-I am confident that in EVERY part of the country..if you mosey around..you WILL find a small job shop that will understand EXACTLY what you are getting at, and will get the job done quickly and economically.<P>Wish to hell you lived a little closer to me; would have you over for an afternoon of killing beers, lying about how smart we are, and how we'd still be in jail if the girls we see today on the streets were in our high school classes.......and then I would make you your damn bracket in about twenty minutes, and fix you up with a pulley from my junk-box, and a bushing...and send you on your way.. that is...if by chance you could pass a "field sobriety test", or put you up in our guest room to "dry out". Then I'd take you out in the Packard Twelve...and scare the crap out of you..before turning you loose.....!<P>Best Regards<P>Pete Hartmann

BH you have a great response to those trivial requests that seem to matter so much to the customer. Another approach is to use one that a talk show host out of Atlanta uses. He merely looks at the offending privacy cashier, and states "he is homeless". That should get them thinking. I always go with the "what is the zipcode here, because that is where I am right now", it works for the phone number too. It leaves them scratching their heads too. Always memorize a zip code in Canada (postal code), it drives them nuts because it doesnt fit the "profile" in their computer.....Sorry I take the simple pleasures where I can......