Ultramatic and Park!

Hello everyone, I just picked up my 1955 Packard 400 today. It seems that when we put it in park it wants to keep rolling. Is this likely to be a linkage thing? What should I be looking for in order to have the park engage? I know I need to get the shop manual and other refference material but I will be taking a look at this tomorrow and would like to see if I can resove the problem if I can. Also I have to make it look like the car is not so much a project so my apartment complex doesn't tow it away. The rock uner the wheel kinda kills it. Thanks for the help.<BR>Tim<BR>MBL

Guest Randy Berger

The 55 TU had a problem with PARK and if you parked on a hill and let it roll against the parking pawl, it would hang up there and you would have a H--L of a time getting it out of PARK . Someone may have internally altered the tranny so as not to engage the parking pawl. If it goes into REVERSE and the indicator is on R where it's supposed to be, then the linkage is probably ok and I would suspect something in the tranny. You would have to drop the pan to verify that the pawl is there and engaging the parking gear. <BR>I always keep my rear brakes and emergency brake cable adjusted so that it can hold the car on a hill without rolling against the park gear. grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Is that right?! Hmm? Well If I drop the pan should it be very evident that something was done? What exactly should I be looking for? Is it simply a rod that is pushed into the locking mehcanism? Should this be an indication that additional things are wrong with the tranny? (If I find that the selector does not like up perfectly with the R for the reverse should I try that first? Now assuming that it is the pawl that you speak of; would this be something hard to fix? Please excuse the detail of my questions. I have not gotten the manuals yet and am trying to get this car moveable as fast as possible. Thanks for your input.<BR>TIm<BR>MBL

Randy is right. Park setting on trannys in the 55 had problems. If you put mine in P before you set the brake you have to rock the car to get it out of P. Had to do this once at the Candadian border with help from customs officers. No fun. I never use P but use the hand brake and leave the car in N.

With that, I am wondering if someone made it so that the park would not work intentionally. Is this something that I should not be so concerned about? I would like it to work if possible but if I would be better off without fixing it maybe I should just leave it. At this point I haven't even started the car yet so I am not sure that the tranny even works but I am crossing my fingers. Is there any tips of what I might pour into the tranny before runnign it?<BR>Thanks again<BR>Tim<BR>MBL