MoparMan426

Need Info and Pictures of Bell Motor Car

If you want some information about the Barrie Bell besides the museum . There is a Canadian publication called Old Auto's . Maybe they have done a cover story about the Barrie Bell ? They might be able to help you out .  http://oldautos.ca/

17 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I did not know that. The last work I did for Fred was a rebuild of the engine on the '09. Thanks. We did quite a bit of work for Mr Markey as well, Quite a character, I miss him. We restored the 1919 International Carousel Truck he had.

It is a nice car.  When it was for sale before Markey purchase did my father-in-law and I went to look at it and considered purchasing it.  However at that time the engine had been removed because it was blown and was in Philadelphia to be rebuilt.  It also had cosmetic issues and we decided it was more work than we wanted to take on.

Interesting side point about Bell...

Std Cat does just list 4cyls, but in looking up the Hs in my old catalogs find a 25 Perfect Circle ring catalog listing a Hs 11000 (6cyl) for a 1919 bell (no model #) as well as the 7000 4cyl for 1920-23 (no model #s)...a couple others agree with the Lyc and the 7000...

Std Cat does refer to another Bell, 1917 NY, NY, but that supposedly had only a rotary of some kind in a couple prototypes, and the dates are a little off...

That catalog also lists some Budas, apparently a confusion of the Bell car with an unrelated Bell truck that used Budas per Mroz...

Std Cat also says, under Riess Royal 1921, that the "new" car was to have a HS 6 of 57 HP...

Old replacement parts catalogs are, of course, weak reeds to rely on, and HP is a poor ID source for engines, HP being a function of how tightly the engine's wound up, among other factors...

When we were restoring the Bell we intreviewed a very elderly lady who had worked as an upholsterer in the factory when she was a young girl.  I found it fascinating that she told us they had separate entrances into the factory for men and women and about the only male she ever saw in her part of the factory was her supervisor. Bell claimed to have sold a significant number of cars in France but we've never seen confirmation of that. Difficult to separate fact from marketing hype.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have just run across the Pullman auction info, and have been searching the autos made in York PA.  Really interesting stuff, and my search led me to this thread.  I hope Moparman was there, as it looks like a lot of info on the Bell was sold.  Is there any update on the car and the restoration?

Bell Model 4 001.JPG

Hi Tom, 

I was not able to make to the auction but I did bid on the items online, however I bid as much as I could afford and lost both lots, not sure who ended up winning them, I just know it was a floor bidder. 

As for the restoration, I have not made much progress, I recently purchased a home so most of my funds have been tied up in that. Hoping to get some things sold off this year and focus more on the Bell. I will probably create another thread documenting progress on it once I have time. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity reviewed my old period catalogs to see if I'd acquired anything pertinent since '16, but nothing new...

However, I noted a comment in the thread above I should've commented on in '16---the differences between "Official" model designations (per Std Cat, which I assume to be as Official as it gets) and the models listed in parts catalogs---lots do  match, but lots do not, and sometimes they have no relation at all, which is awkward when you're trying to ID which engine was original...

Bell models that don't match are 4-18 (probably the 1918), the 4-32 (Std Cats 36HP found overoptimistic when checked?? ), a "Special 4"with the H-Sp 7000, and a 6-60, almost certainly Riess's 6, rounded up from 57HP, sold as a Bell. The years listed are another tangle that don't seem to fit, also not unusual, but we use what's available......