1957 Buick Speaker help

Brandon Todd

I'm back with more questions!

This time, I have a question regarding the original AM radio (no wonderbar). I installed an AUX jack into the radio and it works perfect! Plays through the tubes and all.

I thought the the radio was 8ohm. Which would mean i need 8ohm speakers. However, upon looking at the photofact for this radio, it is saying that the V.C. input is 3-4 ohm. 

So am I allowed to use 4 ohm (which are much easier to find) 6 x 9 speakers with this radio? 

If not, what are my options? The original speaker still works surprisingly, but is pretty much shot.

Thanks everyone! 

I do not know for sure what impedance your radio output is, but it would not be suprising if it were 4 ohms.  Higher impedance systems are much more common in newer (70's+) audio systems.  A way to get an idea is to measure the resistance of the speaker with a digital multimeter.  While the resistance reading is not the same as the impedance rating the GENERAL outcome is that the meter measurement is lower than the rating but normally only by 20-30%.  This is not a guarnteed measurment, just my expierence after 35+ years in industry.  If you measure your speaker and it measures between 2-4 ohms I would call it a 4 ohm speaker, if higher than 4 but less than 8 then 8 ohm etc...   The measurement must be made with the speaker disconected from the radio.

Robin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brandon Todd said:

Weird. So yours is actually a 4 ohm system??

I don't remember how I determined it, but I know that at least 1 of my Sonomatics stated that it was a 4 ohm speaker. 

To be fair, this one isn't a tube set anymore, but I've got a total of three. There were at least two different circuit designs for '56, and I've got one of each still intact. It may have been one of those that said explicitly said 4 ohm.  As Robin said, an ohm meter measuring resistance isn't exactly the same as impedance, so I don't recall if I ohmed it out.

The original speaker in this unit actually sounded pretty good connected to the solid state amp... but not as good as that 2-way Kenwood. 

IMG_0784.JPG

• Like 2