1955 buick century wheel well heights with good stock springs

Hotrods1936

I know that measuring sheet metal-to-ground dimensions make sense, but can also depend upon the tire size, construction, AND air pressure in the tires (all variable situations).  But there is another relationship which I noticed quite some time ago, which is NOT tire-dependent and not totally related to how the tire fits in the wheel opening area. 

Extend the "line" from the bottom of the rocker panel "through" each wheel's center point.  Other than looking for that line being parallel to the flat surface the car is residing on, front to rear, there is also a relationship to how it crosses the wheel AND where.  The attached picture is not of your car, but illustrates the relationship I'm mentioning.  Looking at other Buick pictures (actual pictures and print advertising, rather than "artwork" pictures), some of them are basically like the pictures attached, as some are about 1/2" lower, but still above the "hand hold" slots in the steel wheels, slightly.

It could well be that your springs are aged and weak, BUT what you're experiencing could also be weak shock absorbers!  I concur with 5563 that you car does not look that "bad", as is, which is why I'm mentioning the shock absorber possibility.  Good shocks can keep a weak spring from bottoming out in many cases, especially considering how soft some of the '50s Buicks springs' "ride rate" tended to be.

In many cases, when new springs to the OEM specs for the car are installed, the cars sometimes look "too high" to me, but looking at Old-Tank's (and others') correct restorations, plus the older print pictures, the amount they seem "too high" is diminished.  We've gotten too used to looking at coil spring cars with "sagged" springs, it seems.

Your car HAS some great possibilities!

The rocker panel "line" situation is also pretty much common on most cars up into the 1970s.  Once you learn to look for it, it's easy to see.

NTX5467

1959_Buick_Electra_225_Garage_side.jpg

1957-Buick-Limited-Executive-Sedan__HESS EISENHART LIMO.jpg

• Like 1

It does look a little low to me as well, but that could change under several circumstances.  Stuff in the trunk?  A full gas tank will bring you down a bit.  To get a good idea, try leaning against the fender as you tank up, and you can feel it.  The pic seems to be with the car parked on an incline.  It throws more weight to the springs down-hill.

Out of frustration and a lack of time, I have put spacers on my rear springs, at the top where they can't be seen.  While browsing in the scrap boxes at the local metal supply, I was lucky to find a bunch of heavy-gauge steel disks just the right size and only needing a center hole to be drilled. 

On 10/8/2016 at 9:27 AM, Hotrods1936 said:

Can anyone tell me the correct height of the front and rear wheel well with good stock height coil springs. My springs are shot and I need to know if I want stock height or what amount of drop I would like to order new spring.

55hardtop3.jpg

3 cars:  front=28"; rear=30.5".  Measured from ground to edge of stainless strip, center of wheel.

• Like 5