48 Clutch replacement

Soon I will be replacing the clutch on my 48. The shop book shows the bell housing in place when using the alignment tool, which appears to have a disc the same diameter as the bell housing to gearbox opening. I will not be using the factory alignment tool since I don't have one and don't even know where you would get one. <P>On every clutch (newer vehicles) I have ever done the tool is small and just fits into the pilot hole. I was just wondering if there was something I should know about based on the picture in the book and their tool as far as the alignment. Also, tips from others who have done this job would be appreciated, too.

Chris, I looked at the Packard illustration. Your alignment tool will work just fine. The only problem I ever encountered was in 51-54 manual trans there was a small spring that hooked from the trans to the throwout bearing/lever and had to be disconnected before pulling the trans away from the bell housing. I don't know if 48-50 was the same way or not.<p>[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

i dont have the picture but based upon your description i am guessing that the factory tool probably has something to do with checking the alignment of the face of the bellhousing (trans mounting face) to the face of the flywheel. You would not want the trans snout running into the clutch on an angle. This alignment checking is no longer done but at one time was considered part of the job.