Bought My Dream Car

hullinger

About 6 years ago I sold a really, really nice '58 Dodge Coronet. I loved that car and cursed it at the same time. Ever since she left me I've wanted another Forwardlook.  About 2 months ago I was searching and found a '61 Desoto about 2 hours from my house. I called the guy, who was pretty light on details but I made it over to his shop two days later with cash. Here's what I bought. 

Chris

Edited by hullinger (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Guest jimstulga

Love your car!! Delightfully over the top Virgil Exner design; perfect expression of that era. I've owned a '61 Imperial for over 10 yrs and still seems as fresh to me as the day I bought it.  I think you're going to feel the same way as the years roll by. 1961 was the last year for Desoto & has got to be rare in any style because, I believe, none were actually made in calendar year '61.  A new reserved (and to me, more boring)  trend in car design was starting that year with the '61 Lincoln as an example.  Ok, that car DID have tons of class, but less fun.  Glad to see appreciation for the forward look growing with antique car fans and owners. 

Jim, Thanks for you comments.  I'm with you on the reserved styling trend starting in '61.  With most brands de-finned by that time, the Desoto and other Mopar's really looked dated when compared to the others.  It's strange to see vintage photos of the late '60's and when a finned car is present, how outdated they appear.  

18 minutes ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

What a COOL car !! 

It's the perfect color

I love the asymmetrical front seat 

My GreatGrandFather always had a Desoto, they're good cars.

Realizing that Chrysler led the industry on many fronts,

But, I have to ask; Is an alternator original to '61 Desoto?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is. 

I think the alternator came out around 1960.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

What a COOL car !! 

It's the perfect color

I love the asymmetrical front seat 

My GreatGrandFather always had a Desoto, they're good cars.

Realizing that Chrysler led the industry on many fronts,

But, I have to ask; Is an alternator original to '61 Desoto?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is. 

Hey, thanks for the kind words.  I think Keiser31 is right in that the alternator was standard on all Chrysler products in 1960, with the exception of one model, which I thought was the Valiant.  I hope someone can clarify this.  I believe it wasn't until '63 that Chevy made the alternator standard.

Edited by hullinger (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hullinger said:

Hey, thanks for the kind words.  I think Keiser31 is right in that the alternator was standard on all Chrysler products in 1960, with the exception of one model, which I thought was the Valiant.  I hope someone can clarify this.  I believe it wasn't until '63 that Chevy made the alternator standard.

I think that '63 was the first year for an alternator on Buicks , too. 

I remember that Dad's '61 Lincoln had a generator. An his '64 Lincoln had an alternator. 

So, maybe Ford was around then, too.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sixseven said:

I keep thinking about you and your car.  What a cool deal: you must be a very happy person to fulfill a dream.  I also hope to do the same.  GOod luck, God bless and man: have a great life!!!

You're very kind and thank you.