55 Packard Transmission Question?

Kevin AZ

Ok....I got those pesky transmission cooler lines off without cutting them. My question now relates to the transmission support. The service manual instructs one to loosen the rear transmission support bolts prior to removing the engine. Should this matter, since I've removed the grill/bumper/doghouse etc already?

i cant remeber what the manual says but one thing i would do is disconnect the trans from the support. I would NOT try to remove it with the rear suppoart attached to the trans.<P>In fact, i would remove the suppost completely from the car. When lifting the enggine and trans out as a complete unit it is often necessary to tip the front of the engine UP while the tail of the trans tips down. The trans support mite interfere with this tipping process.

i thot u had recently mentioned that u were going to pull the engine and leave the trans IN the car??? In that case u should not have to unbolt anything from the trans suport.

Kevin, if you are leaving the trans in the car, supported by a scissor-jack or equivalent, you need to drop the starter, drop the lower transmission housing, unbolt the trans AND the torque convertor from the flywheel. Separate the trans/convertor from flywheel about an inch or so, then run a wire or rope or bungee from one side of the tranny to the other to keep the convertor from sliding forward and/or off the shaft. <BR>Disconnect exhaust pipes. I would disconnect the tranny lines from the cooler in front, but if you did that and you are leaving tranny in, why did you disconnect them at trans? After that just lift the engine out. If you are removing tranny and engine as a unit, you must remove rear tranny mount.<BR>YFAM, Randy grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Keith.....I think you got the point. The transmission is staying in the car, so I didn't understand why it was necessary to loosen the transmission support? With the doghouse etc. already off, I don't think I'll have any clearance problems, but what the HE (double toothpick) do I know? The first time this engine is removed, will be the first time I've removed any engine. I will however support the transmission with a jack and wood.<P>Randy, I've removed everything you've mentioned save the motor mounts and upper (2) bell housing bolts. I have even used bailing wire to secure the torque converter to the transmission bell housing, so it doesn't fall out when the engine is moved up and out. Everyone says that that would be a bad thing. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Randy.....FYI, I have been using the service manual as you recommended and even photocopied the engine removal page to use as a checklist of sorts.

Kevin: One word of advice. MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A CHERRY PICKER IE ENGINE HOIST CAPABLE OF LIFTING 2 TONS. Those Packard V8's are very heavy, not like pulling out you average 265 Chevy engine.

55-56 Packard V8 engine weighs 750 pounds fully dressed minus radiator. Does not include transmission. Chevy small block 327 circa 1965 weighs right at 500 pounds fully dressed. My guess is that a modern 350 chevy is less than 500 pounds.

Packard53 speaks wisdom about heavy engine - the fellow who rebuilt mine normally picks up a BARE block and puts it in his washing machine (after removing all core plugs). He decide to use the chain hoist to lift the Packard block. wink.gif" border="0 If you see it parked alongside a 56 Caddy block, you'll understand. I think Packard did this in planning for the future. Some engineers have stated the block could hold a 5-inch bore if the cylinders were siamesed - close to 550 cubic in at 3.5 stroke. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>YFAM, Randy