Report from Hershey

Restorer32

The past two days have been beautiful. Between the amount of walking I did today and the heat, I decided to call it a day a little earlier, go back to the room, and take a shower. I feel better now. Restorer32 It was nice finally meeting you in person yesterday. I have managed to meet several forum members at Hershey this year. The weather looks like it is going to be about the same tomorrow too.

• Like 1

Great couple of days and looking forward to tomorrow.  Got involved shopping today, so a little less catch up which would be my only complaint and that is with myself - the weather has been incredible!!

Restorer, when we caught up yesterday I forgot to egg you on with the great moped race...  :-)

Hope everyone is enjoying things as much as we are!!

• Like 1

I filled three crates with parts for resale. Finishing up Friday at 2:00.  Then a 7 hour ride home.   I didn't find anything for my cars this year that I needed.  A little bummed that I didn't even see any nice chrome bits for the 47 Hudson.  Cord stuff is always available but I'm not one for sitting down at the Jewelry counter and just giving them my credit card and saying I don't care what it cost.  500.00 for a trunk latch?  and it has 2 of them. Glad I got mine miss listed off ebay for 20.00 plus shipping and that was for the pair.  Yes they were both NOS. 

I wouldn't have minded buying a sign or two for the garage but prices seemed downright crazy for most.   I know signs are hot but it's geeting to the point where you can buy a nice project car cheaper than a not so great sign. 

Weather was perfect. Best in the past twenty years. Attendance seemed down, maybe due to the weather down south. Overall our sales were ok considering the lighter amount of traffic. Car prices were all over the map, didn't make a difference what year the car was, good cars were bringing decent money,the cars with a story or condition issues didn't do well. Seemed like there were less venders than last year. By Friday at noon there were LOTS of people packing up and off the field by two pm. It was great to visit with so many friends. Ed

I agree with Ed, attendance was WAY down. The car corral had far fewer cars (the area near the entrance was virtually empty) and there were a saddening number of empty vendor spaces throughout the fields. We were quite busy today, but Thursday is usually our busy day but it was pretty light. Weather is awesome, I'm badly sunburned--in October!

Hershey is still Hershey and remains my favorite event of the year!

Best weather in Years,  I found a few thinks and past on some nice stuff above my price range, and shipping cost to the West Coast. 

Thank you to Hershey Region and AACA for another great meet.

Looking forward to today car show. 

• Like 1

I actually found the last missing pieces for my 32 Dodge Brothers restoration.  Perfect weather. Too many empty spaces.  I'd rather see them eliminate one of the fields and make walking easier.  Way, way too many golf carts and pickup trucks constantly driving down rows.  I'm 70 and walked all the fields in two days, what's with the teens and twenty-somethings running around in golf carts?  Some of the fields looked more like a parking lot than a vendors area.  My wife and I found many vendors were not up at the seven AM starting time and had to wait almost an hour before many opened up.  Is it that hard to walk the ten feet from the motor home to uncover your items?

Despite all my previous bitching, we had a great time, met lots of old friends and some new ones, enjoyed the weather, the Dodge Brothers Club tent and Friday night dinner, and getting to see lots of great cars and neat stuff.

• Like 3

We walked the whole place in two days , Annette & I  . Yes I agree to maney golf carts and elec what evers . Got hit by two  . We did find some good buys . Carb for 16 Overland for $20  .  Lugnuts for same  . Elec for the 30 Oakland and side mirrors .  Great weather,  lot of people saying same thing { get the motor homes out }   . They are not just  for camping. I am 72 this Year  can still walk the whole field  but it would be better if we didn't have to walk rows with no parts just campers   . But it is Hershey  Kings32

Great weather.  I found some old parts I needed and some supplies.  

You could throw a bowling ball down a lot of isles and never hit anybody.  Attendance looked way down.  Wed was especially dead.

A lot of golf carts that wouldn't have been allowed ten years ago.  I suppose the rules bend as the club ages except I noticed a lot of young people on them and a few collectors $$$.  The couple next to us never set out a part.  They would get out of their car and walk away.  You can see it all over the place.    I think they need to consolidate some fields as several rows have 1 vendor and are just a parking spot.   

We did it in two days as well.  That's with pulling our 2 year old in a wagon.  My wife thought we had never done it in 2.  Probably because as mentioned the lower vendor count.   Could be the weather in the south.  Maybe some members stayed home to deal with prepping for the Hurricane or in case they had to.   I thought it seemed pretty busy, but not all over.  Soem rows seemed really crowded and others were pretty sparse with attendees. 

2 hours ago, kings32 said:

We walked the whole place in two days , Annette & I  . Yes I agree to many golf carts and electric whatevers . Got hit by two.

Sorry you got hit by the carts, they were all over the place. I understand many people need a cart to get around due to a disability, but why so many carts being used that have no place being there, especially when you see the occupants leap off the carts, and then jump back on and off in a hurry.

Hershey is always political on an election year.   If you have something I need and the price is fair I could care less what sign is in front of your spot.  I thought it was fun reading the different things.

I just hope you enjoyed the national anthem as much as I did.  Every morning the place would just stop.  That felt great!   

• Like 4

THANK YOU HERSHEY REGION!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had a great time arrived on the field Tuesday at 7:05, packed up Friday evening, pulled out at 11;00 today home in four hours flat. Sold a lot of unwanted stuff bought a cab for a new project. See you all in 2017, that will be 48 in a row for me. Bob

Guest Apollo
1 hour ago, Janousek said:

Hershey is always political on an election year.   If you have something I need and the price is fair I could care less what sign is in front of your spot.  I thought it was fun reading the different things.

I just hope you enjoyed the national anthem as much as I did.  Every morning the place would just stop.  That felt great!   

We got to stand twice for it this morning, we were in place at 6 and it played around 7  or 8 then again at 10

I would like for someone from the Hershey Region to explain how we go about requesting a change in parking/space sales.

This is not a National AACA problem, it's put on by the Hershey Region.

For goodness sake, take a field, I say the Orange Field, charge people a few dollars less for that field to PARK ONLY, no vending.  It's getting silly to see entire sections of the fields filled up with dead cars, people out walking.

Is this really that complicated?

Put vendors together, it's fine if they have a motor home or camper, but at least vend (and I don't mean one carb and two hood latches).  ENFORCE THIS!

I love Hershey, one of my best years ever getting stuff and selling, but walking some fields is just seeing silly stuff, with one vender every 100 feet. 

OK, off the soapbox, but I also agree, sure would be nice to ban motorized vehicles except for the really handicapped.  I'm 65, one bad knee, and still manage to hobble around, and think that a lot of people are just too f-ing lazy so they get carts.  You can't ask about a handicap, but I'd set up a place so that, when someone asks for a handicap sticker, I'd ask if they could walk a 50 foot line there and back...you'd know in the first 10 feet who REALLY needs a cart!  Oh, that's not politically correct?  Huh..

• Like 4

At the beginning of the one end of the car corral there is a sign posted with a guard at that entrance that says absolutely no motorized vehicles, skateboards bikes, golf carts, scooters Etc.  Then you enter the gate and just about get run over and have to keep getting out of the way of carts.  What's the point of the sign or rule if it is not enforced?  Just curious.  It'a hard walking through the car corral with all the motorized traffic and I'm not talking about the for sale cars. 

I enjoy the show alot just wonder what the point of that rule is. 

• Like 1

Ok! Hi All!

It's My turn, first I would like to say Thanks to my dad who sold 52 years and passed in 2012 if it was not for guys like him this beautiful place called Hershey would not have grown to what it is,and by dragging me as a toddler and teaching me about the Heart of Old cars Preservation, I love him for it, I have a second business now because of it, in old car parts business, I do not get out much for  walking and looking for parts for my personal cars, as I am so busy, but having seen great many friends and I talk to all my customers about there opinions and comments.

First: I agree with most all post comments above,

second: I want to thank again all the hard work of the Hershey Volunteers and Park staff it's always a big task to get everything ready and they get overlooked. So thank You!

third: 

Complaints from customers:

They are hot,and walking a lot, and they too see my row one or two vendors can't see past the $350,000 30 foot motor home with 4 farts and a carburetor for sale, so they pass my row from being tired and some only have one day to hit as many vendors as they can to go to a row with more rusty gold, If you don't enforce the rules, the show dies, everyday we stop around 5:30-6pm selling then it takes us between my brother and me 10 spaces about 1 1/2 hours to cover up and secure everything then  dinner by the time we crash we are toast lol, then we get up at 5;00 to start getting ready for 7:00 I agree with one post saying they come in and a lot of guys are not uncovering till 8-9:00am If I am paying to park and shop i want everyone open when I get there too, Tuesday was pretty good for a setup day,, Wednesday worst day!  no traffic, Thursday great day! Friday was ok and steady, People traffic way down, I guess people need tropical rain storms to show up ??? lol  finally get 4 best days ever and 30% less people but I blame Hershey Region partially for the parking epidemic of lazy people who buy a space set a table with a license plate and use it as a space so they can park and walk,  some buy one spot have a van with 8 guys pour out to walk this action kills this for all, make it if your not selling and  have some sort of Quanity , then your vehicle could be towed or wheel locked till violation donation to the AACA has been paid?? for not following the rules. Hershey region probably pays enormous monies to Herco but they make the most or second I would Imagine next to charlotte which is a Joke in my eyes to AACA maybe 10-20% original cars and the rest hot rods,we don't need a good guys show at Hershey, keep the tradition, what I and everyone remembers it's in my life in my heart I will always come, but you are starting to loose by the actions or lack of actions to preserve it, I agree with the other guy put all the chromers tool machines buffers and lazy walkers (parkers) in one field and consolidate all the true parts guys it makes it easier for the vendors the walkers. I sell a lot to the foreigners online through out the year I always encourage travel to Hershey, I always thank them for coming, and they spend a lot of money just to get here,they too are frustrated about how so many vehicles in the rows golf carts everywhere motorhomes blocking the shopping paths and they are not selling anything, If I spent 2k-3k just to get here plane ticket,hotel,rental car to see rows and walk in the heat with nothing I would be upset.         In closing,  It's still Hershey!  Nothing like it! , and a great place to meet new people and rekindle old friendships, So Cheers to another Great Hershey!!!  Still the Best! :D

On 10/8/2016 at 10:08 AM, AJFord54 said:

I will never understand how a vendor doesn't realize that 50% of the people support one candidate and 50% the other.  Politics are passionate  and you are offending one side no matter what you do.

As a general rule I 100% agree with you but in the demographic that is Hershey a poll would show 90-10 one way. 

I was talking to a friend about Soap Box Derby which I was heavily involved in as a kid.   It doesn't exist any more, or at least in an semblance of the way it was when I was a kid.  Things change and evolve, leisure past times change inevitably.  Hershey will need to adapt to the fact that the parts are drying up and the internet has changed the market.   The number one thing I did for 3 days was catch up with friends I only see once a year.  I would like to keep doing that forever. 

I think they need to scrap at least one field and condense things.  I don't see how that can't happen.   I forgot to make my reservation for the Lodge this year.   10-20 years ago I would have been absolutely screwed.  Not only did I get a room calling a week in advance,  I got MY room which I have had for 15 years.   Plus they had a wedding going which was chewing up a bunch of room space.  What does that tell you?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

The perspective here is interesting.  I too agree with some of the comments, especially those who do not actually vend.  There is a team that does go around and take pictures of spaces that are being used for parking and those offenders get banned for two years. How well this is patrolled is unknown to me.  Personally I believe a stronger warning is needed and something should be done.  Virtually all the spaces were sold for the flea market with the red field being the only one that had some unsold spaces. The weather down south may have had an affect on people showing up.  We are aware of some leaving due to the severity of the weather.

We have debated the golf cart issue here before so I will not go into it but naturally the national club would love to see a diminished presence of these due to liability and other issues.

I am waiting for actual data to determine if the crowd was up or down but we felt that Wednesday was especially strong compared to other years and I talked to many vendors who had a record year!  AACA's two sites were extremely busy and membership renewals and new purchases were very, very strong.

The Lodge room availability was due to several factors.  I had some interesting discussions with their management.  First, we have had several new hotels go up in the last 5 years and another one in Derry Township underway now.  So room availability is at an all time high. A lot of people have just naturally figured the hotel was sold out (it was last year) and do not even try to get reservations. It is also a premium priced hotel.

There is still no other place I would rather be in the entire world that the first full week in October in car mecca, "Hershey"!

• Like 1

Guest Apollo

The handicapped stickers/placards are so easy to get, that would not be a deterrent to in any way of keeping golf cart usage down.  

Guest Apollo

Same in PA but virtually any Dr will sign the paper, it just states the patient has a condition that basically makes walking hard for them, can be anything from arthritis to a bum knee to trouble breathing - the person does not need to be truly handicapped. Watch people sometime at the grocery store that use the handicapped parking and you will quickly see that it's a convenience and way to park close for many more than a need.  I personally have one as I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, I don't use it for daily trips to the store etc but on long trips when I get out of the car It is a true effort to get into a rest stop for instance, so I use the spaces, that said I walked 14 miles according to my Apple watch on Friday(once I get moving I loosen up) and didn't use any conveyence but technically could have under the handicapped placard line of thought. So what I am saying is the placard really doesn't show proof of being truly disabled enough to warrant a golf cart pass. 

Edited by Apollo (see edit history)

Maybe ban all carts and only the handicap scooters and then have the Hershey region use volunteers to maybe offer a big parts hauling service so they don't cry about having to lug big pieces as the excuse as why when stopped they had golf carts.Out in kansas at a show, I saw them have mutiple tractors with a small trailer and they would offer free parts transport to car parking lots,might be a option, Steve in Response to your statement on Wednesday all the vendors and customers at my space's said  in Chocolate South said they had never seen it so small of people traffic, so maybe the attendee's did not get to chocolate south until Thursday it was really strange with such beautiful weather we could not believe the foot traffic was so sparse ??? maybe your right, the weather down South? Just have not ever seen it that low on our field for sometimes almost a half hour with one or two guys passing by about every two mins,. like I said father 52 years selling brother over 35 straight and me some 17 straight

As for alsancle's comments about drying up, I have lot's of parts and I know so many friends with huge garages full of Vintage parts, and I just added new trailer with 5200lb tandem axles to carry more weight from my old 3500lb  tandem axles,  I list on the forum parts I am bringing to try and bring parts people are searching for, I am still finding 4-6 field parts cars from the late 20's thru 38 every year, no problem I have more then enough, to keep bringing for the next 20 years but its always a gamble what you choose to bring cause you never know who's building what, so I always try and bring heavier pieces so you guys save on frieght, good discussion hope some kind of change comes or at some point the 10 spaces me and brother share and time is not worth it when my row has at least 6-10 violators using it as a source to sell a license plate and three carbs but haul 6-8 guys in a van to be able to walk from within the field, just walk by a booth with canopy that has 9-11 chairs and two tables with 10 parts it's not rocket science, anyway in closing I agree with steve there is No place else I would rather be then Hershey in the first week of Oct. Ditto!!!!!!

It was interesting watching the traffic.  I was on the Green Field, and it seemed there was heavy traffic in the morning, and then right before noon it just died, each day.  Friday morning was very dead the whole morning in my area (GBF).

I'm not a full time vendor, but I brought a bunch of stuff this time, and also made a wholesale buy off the back of a truck Wednesday morning, fellow unloading box after box of toys before 7am, he asked if I was interested in them all, and said sure. Over 100 toy trucks (older, metal), several ride on metal trucks/tractor, and in the bottom of each box some fascinating miscellaneous collectable stuff, from metal cap guns to US Army horse blinders.  I bought them all, and sold some (even a 1950's wall clock, new in the box, I was about to literally put in the trash pile, when a guy walked up and offered me $20 for it!", but put a lot back in my truck before even showing to anyone, maybe next year?

I vended all day Wednesday, Thursday morning, and then by Friday I couldn't decide to pack up or set up, but people were peaking under my lowered cover and buying stuff.  I had a very good year, and I do agree with Steve, no place I'd rather be, mainly to touch base with old friends and of course to be surrounded by rusty metal...just doesn't get any better!

I spent almost 90% of my time by my cars/truck in the car corral this year and it was very enjoyable. However, the carts are getting to be a problem. We debate this every year, and usually it comes down to consideration. My particular spot is right at the base of a driveway/road that dumps onto the "ring" around the facility on which the car corral is situated. I had more than several, perhaps even dozens of cart people try to squeeze their carts between my cars to drive up this driveway (which is closed off with a chain--it's quite amusing watching these guys try to get their carts over or under the chain, which is about 12-inches off the ground, but that's a different story). One fellow hit the Pierce and left a mark on the fender that I think will buff out. He was not an English speaker, but my agitation was prominent enough that the point was made and he retreated quickly. That was the only physical event, but it was a constant vigil to make sure nothing got bumped as larger and larger carts tried to squeeze through the openings between the cars to get to that magic driveway behind me. I think Melanie took video of one guy clothes-lining himself on the chain as he tried to drive under while holding it up. LOL

You can see the driveway behind the cars here (although the chain isn't visible, it's at the base right behind us):

IMG_20161005_142154253[1].jpg

Sadly, I also see quite a few able-bodied people in carts. Maybe not as able-bodied as an athlete, but certainly guys my age (46) and younger. Aren't they embarrassed by that? I know I would be. There were two relatively girthy fellows side-by-side on those little 3-wheeled scooters grinding up the hill. This is all I could see:

101130.jpg

Embarrassing. To me, at least. Walk if you can walk. Lazy isn't a virtue and you're not "outsmarting" the system with a cart.

Anyway, this is a digression. I love Hershey, it's by far our favorite event and I met more than a few online friends this year, more than any other year, which was a real pleasure. Thank you all for stopping by to see us and for the brief amount of time I got to walk around, I did meet two others at their booths, which was great. No treasures for me except a nice little 1966 Mustang convertible I picked up at a very good price. I figured it would sell before I had to take it home ($20,000 for a restored V8 Mustang ragtop seems like a pretty good deal to me), but there wasn't much money on the field this year. Lots of foreigners who wanted to give me a deposit with the promise to send money later, but obviously that's not going to fly. So I had to bring it home. Oh well. I'll be able to sell it for more money from here anyway. Everyone wanted to look like a player but none were actually playing the game.

Good job on another great Hershey. Already looking forward to next year!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Just got home from Hershey,Allot of talk about putting parkers in the orange,no way,there is enough of them.WE sold in the lower orange for years,i like it .we sell mostly prewar parts,vacuume tank parts and service.I agree with the carts and such,but I do like where I'm at,every year,same customers come back.

Matt, I came looking for you Friday, but you were either gone or I got confused where you might be.  Probably confused!

I don't know the solution to the parking and golf cart issues, I'd offer to help the Hershey region personally, if they're willing. 

One of the problems is that the Hershey meet brings in so much money, there's little incentive to change things.  As I mentioned before, I don't think this is a National AACA problem, although I don't know the exact ties between National and Region for this particular event, as this seems to be a very prominent venue for National, including Post It Note style slips promoting Join AACA in every necessary!  For you youngsters, a "necessary" is the old term for a bathroom, or at Hershey, a Porta-Potty!

I think some changes would really help, still a great meet, but just like adjusting to different fields and paved spaces and different parking, it needs to keep evolving to continue to be the premier event in the North East...

9 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The perspective here is interesting.  I too agree with some of the comments, especially those who do not actually vend.  There is a team that does go around and take pictures of spaces that are being used for parking and those offenders get banned for two years. How well this is patrolled is unknown to me.  Personally I believe a stronger warning is needed and something should be done

Steve, this is an interesting comment.  I know that I question things too much sometimes, but I've never heard of such a team, and I've never heard of "parking" offenders getting banned.

Without being too argumentative, which I realize I am at times, is this really happening?  I also understand that, as I've stated before, this is a "region" putting on the event, not the National AACA, so there is easily a disconnect.

As an aside, as I set up my camper at my space (and yes, I did vend a lot of stuff), noticed I was not in line with my friend and neighbor behind me.  I commented to him that the spaces were off, and he agreed.  He saw me the next day, and said that some AACA guys (region?) had come by, apparently they mis-marked the two adjoining rows and someone either got cut out, or had an extra space, or both!  Also, the people changed across from me, and instead of the printed tag on the ground for one space, there was a hand written generic name, and no one occupied space...the new people told me that the officials had that space for an emergency, in case there was a mistake...

It's a huge job the region does, hat's off to them, but they need to keep things adjusting to current wants and needs...in my opinion...

On 10/8/2016 at 8:46 PM, trimacar said:

I would like for someone from the Hershey Region to explain how we go about requesting a change in parking/space sales.

This is not a National AACA problem, it's put on by the Hershey Region.

For goodness sake, take a field, I say the Orange Field, charge people a few dollars less for that field to PARK ONLY, no vending.  It's getting silly to see entire sections of the fields filled up with dead cars, people out walking.

Is this really that complicated?

Put vendors together, it's fine if they have a motor home or camper, but at least vend (and I don't mean one carb and two hood latches).  ENFORCE THIS!

I love Hershey, one of my best years ever getting stuff and selling, but walking some fields is just seeing silly stuff, with one vender every 100 feet. 

OK, off the soapbox, but I also agree, sure would be nice to ban motorized vehicles except for the really handicapped.  I'm 65, one bad knee, and still manage to hobble around, and think that a lot of people are just too f-ing lazy so they get carts.  You can't ask about a handicap, but I'd set up a place so that, when someone asks for a handicap sticker, I'd ask if they could walk a 50 foot line there and back...you'd know in the first 10 feet who REALLY needs a cart!  Oh, that's not politically correct?  Huh..

Not only is your idea not politically correct, it is illegal. It is illegal under federal law to ask a person the nature of their handicap. It is in fact illegal to even ask if they are actually handicapped if they display a Handicapped placard.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but technically, it wasn't asking anyone about their handicap, just asking to show that you can't walk.

I fully comprehend that it's a silly idea, but as my kids used to tell me, sometimes I'm sofecious......

The real problem is that in the state of PA there is a division of the Dept of Labor and Industry whose soul reason for existence is to prosecute those who do not follow the ADA rules to the letter. Local convenience store failed their ADA audit because the toilet paper holders in their bathrooms were less than an inch too high and their coffee dispensing fountains were an inch or two too high. I agree that some of the rules are ridiculous but they are what they are. Tuesday at Hershey was a free for all, bicycles, motor scooters and whatever everywhere. I was happy to see that by Wednesday there were very few bikes or motor scooters in evidence. Personally the golf carts and spaces being used for parking don't bother me. Remember, those parked cars likely held buyers. I will begin to worry when folks stop showing up altogether. I agree foot traffic this year was a bit light, except for Friday.

11 hours ago, trimacar said:

Steve, this is an interesting comment.  I know that I question things too much sometimes, but I've never heard of such a team, and I've never heard of "parking" offenders getting banned.

David, just because you never heard of it does not make it untrue! :D  Yes, it does occur.  In many cases I am the one who ends up with the complaint from our member.  While the region is responsible for the show it is still an AACA National event so the crap runs downhill on me.  I happen to personally know one of the parties whose job it is to drive through the flea market and take photos of the spaces. So YES they do ban members for not selling... 

On 10/8/2016 at 10:08 AM, AJFord54 said:

...My final comment is that there were way too many political signs....  

For me, if they displayed a sign - I didn't even stop to look....  

Look at it another way.

Thankfully, we all love our Constitution and

Americans' First Amendment rights to speak.

Those signs don't offend me.  Though we may

have different ideas on how to do things, we are

completely united when it comes to discussing 

and enjoying our cars!

To me, those signs are signs of greatness.

I bet if soldiers from two opposing countries 

could get together and talk cars as we do, or

speak of some other common interest, there would

less reason for them to fight each other.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

All very goods observations, my spaces are up in the extreme NE section of the Red field. We got in at 11 am tuesday, unloaded and sold a fair amount of stuff by the time we closed up at 5 pm ( after getting up at 5 am, by 5 pm we were toast) Wednesday morning from 8 am to 11:30 am was amazing for sales, lots of people , everyone happy. The rest of the days through Friday afternoon were ok, but a lot less foot traffic.

I agree about the carts, to many , and being driven to fast. Another observation - when I am driving in , why do people not look back to see if a vehicle is coming? or if they do make little effort to at least walk to one side so we can get through?

Only about 3 cheapskates this year who wanted something for nothing - I just shook my head no at their obviously stupid low offer.

Hershey is the only flea market I vend at, and I agree it is the one place that is the highlight of the year so far as old car activity goes. It is still the very best. Thanks to all who make it happen.

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

David, just because you never heard of it does not make it untrue! :D  Yes, it does occur.  In many cases I am the one who ends up with the complaint from our member.  While the region is responsible for the show it is still an AACA National event so the crap runs downhill on me.  I happen to personally know one of the parties whose job it is to drive through the flea market and take photos of the spaces. So YES they do ban members for not selling... 

Good to know, and of course, I realize that there are a few things I don't know about!  Thanks for posting that, that's really interesting!! 

I could easily see how it's hard to regulate, particularly if people do sell, but maybe only sell one day.

Putting on the event is a huge job, and everyone involved, you included, should be thanked mightily for doing so!