Jowett Cars

Guest Aust42President

Guest Aust42President

I'm curious to know of any Jowett Cars in the US.  Not to be confused with the American Paige built 'Jewett' (1925-1928) - and no connection.

Jowett Cars of Bradford Leeds Yorkshire UK 1910-1954. Most famous with their horizontally opposed twin, I personally, have never heard of any Pre- WW2 in the US ! But love to hear of any !

Post -War, the twin, 1005cc - was used in the (pre-war designed) Bradford Commercial (1946-1953) - (utes,vans, etc.) for light deliveries, butcher, baker, 

Apparently, quite a few found their way to South American !!

The Post-War Jupiter sports was most common in the States 1950-54.  But also had some Javelin sedans (1947-1954) - (no idea how many.)

Both shared the same horizontally opposed water cooled 1500cc engine.

Quirky, rare, phenomenal handling and technically advanced, (years ahead of most, if not all, British counter-parts for their time), firsts, in so many fields both on the track and off and, generally ignored !!

I look forward to replies,

Regards,

I can remember a time when there were lots of Bradford vans and Jowett Javelins around. I have a 90 yo friend in Queensland who has a Jupiter he has restored in recent years. There used to be a LeMans Jupiter (replica) in Melbourne but I have no idea what happened to it. perhaps you can tell us.

Bernie j.