Damper 1955 400 (5587)

Guest Kevin AZ

Guest Kevin AZ

I fully removed my water pump assembly and came face to face with the pulleys mounted forward of the engine block. As I was poking around, I felt the damper (I think), which was positioned behind the pulleys or closest to the block. The damper was loose however? I was able to slip it rearward and it would come off a shoulder. Is this normal? If not please explain ramifications and remedies?<P> confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

Guest Randy Berger

Kevin, do you mean the ring which surrounds the rubber came loose and you could slide it rearward till it touched the timing marks on the timing chain cover? If so, you have to have the rubber replaced/vulcanized or the ring will slide back of its own accord and ruin the timing marks. shocked.gif" border="0 I speak from experience. frown.gif" border="0 <BR>I don't know if we're allowed to recommend any vendors on this forum, so if you want to email me, I'll be glad to give you address where I had mine fixed. grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Randy Berger ]

Kevin: u mite want to consider using a damper from one of your spare engines. I doubt that any imbalance will be noticed. IF u have the existing balancer revulcanized it will probably have to be rebalanced tho. If u have it revulcanized try to determine original position of both pieces and put a scribe mark on them so that jobber can place it back to original position.