chistech

32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

The modern MA plate is the only distraction unfortunately but it also shows it a modern picture if you know what I mean.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:13 AM, chistech said:

6255C5E9-9715-4509-BD2D-63A6CC102B4A.jpeg

Ted - what is the name of this color ??  I like it, very unique .... was it a common color ?

Steve

6 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Ted - what is the name of this color ??  I like it, very unique .... was it a common color ?

Steve

Joe said it was a Buick colors. It’s actually two tone but very subtle. I ask joe but I believe he said they were offered by Buick in 32’.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 5:25 AM, Mike Macartney said:

Ted, I have just caught up with your progress on the tank and the 'rubber' gearstick moulding. I've had to spend a few days in hospital without access to the internet. Perhaps I may have to ditch my year 2000 Nokia phone that I still use and get a smart phone! You may have mentioned it before, although I could not find it, what are the products Joe uses for moulding the 'rubber'. I would be interested in 'having a go' at the process. Keep up the great posts, I look forward to, and enjoy reading and seeing every one of them. Mike

Hi mike, hope you’re doing better. The two part urethane joe uses comes from a company called Specialtyresin.com. He used a harder formula for the pedal pad that he called Shore 70 I believe. He the got Shore 50 and 40 for the shift boots. 40 is the softest so it seems as the number goes down, so does the hardness but the cure time goes up the softer you go.

• Like 1

Thanks for asking Ted, I am getting there slowly. Spending time indoors has meant I have had more time to spend on the internet, especially eBay. I have gone and won myself a Bridgeport mill and Jones and Shipman surface grinder. When I asked, whether or not, a machine vice and large angle plate that I could see parts of, in one of the photos, came with the mill? He replied back and said "Anything not put on eBay was going to weighed in for scrap, as the company was downsizing and moving to smaller premises". I replied, that I hated seeing good stuff scrapped, is there any chance of having it? I was the winning bid and was very surprised when 3-pallets of tooling turned up with the machines. I'm a very happy and lucky bunny!

Thank you for the information on the two part urethane. I will have a look at the site.

• Like 1

That’s what I call a score. Last summer, a customer of mine that is an old fish processing plant here in south Boston, called me and told me they were doing away with their  machine shop. An employee was taking the lathe but offered me a Bridgeport mill for $700. I already had my Alliant mill but told him I’d take it as I couldn’t refuse that price. I spoke with my neighbor who polishes all my car stuff and he said he’d take it so my service tech picked it up on our truck and brought it down to us. Turns out it’s a variable speed, X axis power feed, two vices including a Kurt, two drill chucks, a complete set of fly cutters, boring bar set, two sets of collets, and over 100 tool bits. Then they threw in expandable reamers, fixed reamers, tap and dies up to two inch, etc. the list goes on. What a surprise it was and all for $700. Best thing is I can use any of the tooling I need and it’s a simple walk across my yard to my neighbors. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

Wow!

Joe, are you back or still on “assignment “?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chistech said:

Last summer, a customer of mine that is an old fish processing plant here in south Boston, called me and told me they were doing away with their machine shop.

Well, mine was a bit more expensive than that, but it doesn't smell of fish, I think mine might smell of train parts! :)

It seems we were both lucky.

2628.thumb.jpg.204427d4624229847e7f09b473238a2b.jpg

I got 'puffed out' just watching them unloading! (leaning on the gate trying to get my breath). My friend Robert got stuck in helping and he is 80 this year.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chistech said:

Joe, are you back or still on “assignment “?

I'm still in the UK...going to the National Archives next week.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:27 AM, STEVE POLLARD said:

Steve

The color on the Oldsmobile is 1932 Buick Prince Blue Dark

• Like 2

Steve, Buick had two similar colors judging from the paint charts. Code # 1M-206 was Prince Blue Light, and  Code # 246-6325 was Prince Dark Blue. Those colors appear to be what Joe's car was painted. Thanks. John

• Like 2

Look at our Celebrity, made it in the AACA Magazine i just Got....

472173308_32OldsAACA.thumb.jpg.a8b0280b10161031e1f0e64a71c48514.jpg

Way to go Ted !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I second that!!!! Just a beautiful restoration. Ted, any and awards and print you get on the Olds is well deserved. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1