chistech

32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

16 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

Ted, I have just caught up with your progress on the tank and the 'rubber' gearstick moulding. I've had to spend a few days in hospital without access to the internet. Perhaps I may have to ditch my year 2000 Nokia phone that I still use and get a smart phone! You may have mentioned it before, although I could not find it, what are the products Joe uses for moulding the 'rubber'. I would be interested in 'having a go' at the process. Keep up the great posts, I look forward to, and enjoy reading and seeing every one of them. Mike

Hi mike, 

sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well. Glad to see you’re home. I will ask joe what the brand name and the formula numbers he’s been using.

• Like 2

Primed the tank tonight and all looks really good except one little ding dent I missed. Will wet sand the primer down and fix that one ding to get it ready for single stage black.

4818F865-1752-4B69-80BD-9847D28017BE.jpeg

D495225F-80BB-49C4-81DE-1044BD0653A4.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/30/2020 at 8:13 AM, chistech said:

joe sent me a picture of him and his almost done 32’ Olds Sport Coupe. Out for its first time running and driving since about 40 years! Purrs like a kitten.

6255C5E9-9715-4509-BD2D-63A6CC102B4A.jpeg

Ted, is this your friend who came to Hershey?

• Like 1

Yes, he’s my friend who worked feverishly cleaning my car while I kept answering everyone’s questions! He was a huge help with not only the day but the whole restoration. I asked him to ride into the show grounds with me that morning and he was really enjoying himself as copilot.  He and I have made up some pretty good parts these past years that helped put my car, and soon his, at the top. He’s a great friend.

• Like 1

Got the tank all wet sanded after a light spray of some guide coat. Sealed any areas broken to bare metal then mixed up the single stage. Wiped it down with Prepsol then shot the top edges and filler neck leaving the two areas where the tank will rest on the stand. Flipped the tank over and gave it two coats.  I’m very happy with my results considering this is my first foray into the whole process of body work. Some orange peel and some light dust bunnies but neither are too much. Ready to go in the car once it’s totally dry.

1DADAAE3-90B0-452C-9C1B-9A66F62F9298.jpeg

E2F06C54-8F46-4FDD-9DFD-4D52CD771AC4.jpeg

68A177D7-E926-4E32-9FAE-50E233DBA0D2.jpeg

• Like 9

No gas tank has any business looking this nice! Now everyone will be jealous!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Great job Ted...and really, its a gas tank...if it was perfect it probably wouldn't be authentic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

Great job Ted...and really, its a gas tank...if it was perfect it probably wouldn't be authentic.

If there’s anyone who makes things better than they originally were it’s you Joe! Remember, I’m after those damn points that got deducted because of the dents in my tank in the car! I figure if it’s close to perfect, they’ll probably have to find something else next time.

• Like 3

The tank came out really nice, Ted. I love the way you work things out. Great work,a s always. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was nice to finally meet Ted in person. Sorry we did not find a chance to talk more but here are a couple of photos. 

DSC_0616.JPG

DSC_0618.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That is awesome, Ted earned and deserves it !! Hard working and extremely dedicated. 

Here is a picture of his award, Hope he does not mind me sharing, if so i can remove it 🙂

Way to Go Ted !!

output.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gentlemen for posting these pictures. It was a great experience and what was really special is my kids were able to make it also. They were all flying out very early this morning so I spent time with them after the event and didn’t get to mingle as much with others as I had hoped for but will get the chance again at upcoming shows hopefully. So now it’s off to Beckley WV in June for my senior award try. The question is do I skip  the AACA Nationals in Allentown, to attend the NAOC show in Lansing,  because both are on the same date,  and attend the next 2021 AACA Nationals in Minnesota the following  year. I still haven’t shown the Olds in any Antique Oldsmobile club show as of yet.

• Like 4

Congratulations Ted,  the award is well deserved! The Oldsmobile is a beautiful  car with a spectacular restoration. You really have to see the Olds in person to appreciate all the hard work that Ted, and Joe put into this '32. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ted that is a fantastic award, all your hard work paid off. Couldn't help but notice you clean up pretty good also.😀

Thanks for the inspiration. George

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chistech said:

Thank you gentlemen for posting these pictures. It was a great experience and what was really special is my kids were able to make it also. They were all flying out very early this morning so I spent time with them after the event and didn’t get to mingle as much with others as I had hoped for but will get the chance again at upcoming shows hopefully. So now it’s off to Beckley WV in June for my senior award try. The question is do I skip  the AACA Nationals in Allentown, to attend the NAOC show in Lansing,  because both are on the same date,  and attend the next 2021 AACA Nationals in Minnesota the following  year. I still haven’t shown the Olds in any Antique Oldsmobile club show as of yet.

I don't know enough about the NAOC to know when and where your next opportunity to show it in NAOC would be but I really hope you can make it to the Grand Nationals in Allentown.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on a beautiful car!  Well deserved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weathered1 said:

Ted that is a fantastic award, all your hard work paid off. Couldn't help but notice you clean up pretty good also.😀

Thanks for the inspiration. George

Hi George, I was my hardest, full frame off restoration I’ve done😂

• Like 1

Ted honestly i would spread the love and share the Olds. I would do the Olds show and see what they have to say ?!?

but remember in our conversations i could care less about awards and trophies, i am into showing off the car and talking cars with the crowds. Our local club here has been pushing me to get my junior, senior, etc before we host the Grand Nationals in 2022. so that i can show it there and go for my GN. 

Honestly have no ambition to win awards and such, just a simple car guy and love to drive it and show it off. I asked them once i get all the awards then what ?? if i cant drive it and enjoy it, then i dont want it or need it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, weathered1 said:

Couldn't help but notice you clean up pretty good also

And I wondered who that smart looking person getting the award was! :) Well done Ted, I look forward to reading your future posts and learning more.

• Thanks 1

Before I took the tux back, we had a photographer come take some pictures. Here are a few done in antique.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

• Like 5

Here’s the third one I’ve gotten from the photographer so far.

IMG_0023.jpg

• Like 9

What a nice looking couple. Mr. and Mrs. going cool. Great shots. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one Shiny Olds and one Sharp "Young" Couple

really cool picts Ted, those vintage pictures fit the bill as does both of your attire !!

Definitely fitting !!

You all look great as does the car...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1