chistech

32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

28 minutes ago, John S. said:

Ted, Laura and I are still talking about the Oldsmobile. John

Well at least it provided you with some discussion material! LOL. Michelle and I are still kind of taken back with the reception the car got considering the company it kept in the area. With Auburns, packards, Chrysler’s, Caddy’s, pierce arrows, and values of some in excess of $1,000,000 right across the row, it amazed us at how many people hovered around the Olds all day. The condition of the grass close around my car was pointed out to me and can be seen in many of Jerry’s pictures. It was worn almost completely down from all the foot traffic and was in the same condition of the main road. I do think keeping my hood open helped draw people over to look at it and I was more available to answer questions about my car than others seemed to be. What I thought was different was I was asked about setting up the automatic choke by a packard owner. The owner was surprised to find out that my Olds had the same choke as his 34’ packard did and my Olds was a 32’. He mentioned that he was having trouble getting his to work good, either not choking enough or over choking the engine. He was trying to adjust it by the thermo-spring and I explained that he needed to adjust it by how much the choke plate is open when the choke mechanism is in the cold or closed setting. It seems everyone wants to totally close the choke plate when there is no need for it and it will always over choke in that setting. I explained to set the plate about 1/4” open when in the cold position and to pump the accelerator about two to three times before turning the motor over to dump raw gas into the intake. When I showed him how instantaneously my car started he couldn’t believe it. It was great I was able to help out a guy with a big classic car like his. The whole experience will give Michelle and I plenty to talk about for days to come. I am willing to bet though she’ll get tired of it pretty soon!😁

• Like 4

I meant to post this picture that Jerry took. It’s a picture of me with my lovely wife of twenty years. She’s the best person I know and a ton of fun to be with.

FB50A5D6-F015-4A6F-AD66-8A585C875466.jpeg

• Like 7

Well, that is what makes Hershey ,"HERSHEY"! It is the sincere appreciation and respect of what goes into a restoration.  Folks know of the  expense,  time, and passion that make up the finished product. It is wonderful  when a Packard owner can marvel at the workings of your Oldsmobile, and have a conversation about  a choke, or choosing a color choice. It's what makes this hobby unique. We truly have a love for old cars, trucks, etc.. Laura loves the show on Saturday, and she enjoyed talking with  Michelle about the work that went into the '32. My wife  was  getting a little  nervous when a photographer taking pictures of your car,  was  too close to the headlight with her camera. All in all it was  a wonderful time. Thanks again,  John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ted - another photo posted over on the AACA Facebook page........... photo by Scott Vermillion

Steve

image.thumb.png.55de1c5f80ec4bb4113e134aa5dfb7a3.png

• Like 3

My Olds was painted with Matrix products and today Gilly sent me a text message. Matrix, which is now part of sherwin Williams wants to put the Olds in their calendar for 2020. There is a photo I really like other than the fact I’m in it that was taken by Anthony De Seta and if currently on the aaca Facebook page. It was taken in the early morning when I first arrived and the morning sun kind of backlights the car. Hope Anthony gives his permission to use it.

252BE1C7-23A2-48F9-9130-1D252DEFE405.jpeg

• Like 8

great photo other that that guy in the background... geesh, way to photo bomb the perfect shot Ted. :)congrats hope it goes through

great promo for the paint company

maybe they can come out and do a photo shoot :) great time of year with the leaves color changing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BearsFan315 said:

great photo other that that guy in the background... geesh, way to photo bomb the perfect shot

Good thing they have photo shop software. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree totally with you guys. I would have preferred one of the women who were walking around in period dress for sure. I think that would have made a great picture.

• Like 1

What really kind of funny is joe is in the picture too. You can just see his sneaker in front of the passenger rear tire on the grass!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chistech said:

What really kind of funny is joe is in the picture too. You can just see his sneaker in front of the passenger rear tire on the grass!

thats sad, at least his shoe made the shot !! car would hide him anyways no matter where he was standing on the other side :o

• Like 3

Great photo , Ted. I am just sorry that I was too late with the "Who's that guy standing in the background, ruining  the shot"? I hope they use the photo on the calendar. That is one beautiful car! My eyes must be bad. I don't even see Joe's foot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John S. said:

Great photo , Ted. I am just sorry that I was too late with the "Who's that guy standing in the background, ruining  the shot"? I hope they use the photo on the calendar. That is one beautiful car! My eyes must be bad. I don't even see Joe's foot!

Just in front of the right rear tire....very light colored. Looks kinda like dirt or a rock, but is a foot.

foot and car (2).jpeg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, John S. said:

Thank you keiser31. That's a foot, huh?

Joe had on a pair of light colored sneakers. If you look close the colors are the same.

051B2542-CB51-43E1-8A9D-D7C68424C3C6.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yesterday Michelle walked out to the mailbox to get the mail and said I had an envelope from the AACA. I came in for some lunch and looked at the envelope thinking it was paperwork to do with my first junior award. When I opened the envelope and started ready the letter I was really taken back. Below is the letter I received. 

AACA National Award Letter 001.jpg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Awesome!  All that hard work is paying off!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow ! To simply receive the nomination is huge !  Congratulations buddy !

I'd consider hiring a local photographer for this. They aren't that expensive and you'd have something nice for framing as well. 

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is so cool! I know it's a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. It’s really shocking to me. I know the day of the show, there was a lot of people around it and I can’t recall any other judges looking at it but I guess they did. I was told it’s rare to be nominated without having a Sr. Award and not very often on a car’s first showing so it seems my craziness for authenticity has paid off. 

I do have a photographer coming to take pictures of the car for the National award samples and have sent off the picture Tony De Seta took of the car, which he photo-shopped everything out of the picture, me and even the windshield card included, to the Sherwin Williams person in charge of their calendar. I was also asked to contact another gentleman who is involved with video productions as he wants to do some sort of story on the car. Turns out he’s supposed to be very involved in antique cars and knows how rare the 32’ Olds roadster is. I got his phone number yesterday and will call him tomorrow. This is a bunch of stuff happening really fast. Don’t know what will come of it all but we’ll enjoy the ride while it does. 

NOTE: just had someone send me info on an auction of a 31’ Olds roadster! It’s close by and tempting if it goes cheap enough. Just don’t tell Michelle!

E5B85FB9-A21B-4B59-AF48-C75794F7548C.jpeg

• Like 2

Congratulations on having your Oldsmobile selected.  What a beautiful automobile and a fantastic restoration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chistech said:

This is a bunch of stuff happening really fast. Don’t know what will come of it all but we’ll enjoy the ride while it does. 

Can you say celebrity!!  If the 31 is in the same condition as the 32 when you got it I would jump on it.  That way you have a 31 and a 32. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Can you say celebrity!!  If the 31 is in the same condition as the 32 when you got it I would jump on it.  That way you have a 31 and a 32. 

It’s probably in better shape as it appears complete other than the tail light. I think it would be fun to make it mechanically sound then clean it up and drive it. Not sure if I could go through another extensive restoration like my 32’ was. I would end up having to learn how to sew as I would need to make my own upholstery and my own roof. I would have to do all my own cutting out and stitching of all panels plus roof and upholstery. Chrome is beat up too. It would be about $20k to chrome everything possibly a little less.

• Like 1