chistech

32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

That's a true buddy right there. :) 

Trust me, one hand washes the other. Every time he bends an aluminum strut on one of his big planes, he comes sees me to straighten and fabricate a new one. I’m also helping him to assemble a turbo charged and modified VW boxer engine for a full size sport aircraft called a Sonex plus helping him sort out some issues with a 67’ Ford Mustang. All in my spare time of course!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chistech said:

Trust me, one hand washes the other.

:lol: Isn't that the truth, but it's all good.  Now, if I only can find some of that spare time you speak of.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

If you ever meet the guy who said "Life begins at 40" give him a smack from me - It's all down hill from then on!

Our problem is our brains still think we are in our twenty's. 

Well mike, can’t say I disagree with that statement as I was 37 when I got remarried and my life was great in my forties all around. What the statement doesn’t say is that life starts to end in your fifties! That when everything started hurting and I’d felt things I had never felt before, and most of them, not good things! I think at forty we all have a fair amount of life knowledge and still have the physical body to take advantage of that knowledge. Problem is you’ve got to cram about 30 years of fun into 5-6 as life starts ending it seems quickly in our late forties! LOL 

• Like 1

Went to HD today and picked up a 8’x2” strip of 1/8” aluminum and a 3/4” aluminum angle. Installed the angle at the inside ramp edge and the 2” strip got screwed to th bottom outside skin. It is finally done and checked it all over, everything is working, brakes are good so I’m ready for October!

BFA45C32-D785-4A06-A983-F3A40CCF097E.jpeg

783D5780-061E-474E-B2CB-7816EB6530F3.jpeg

40369D91-B0A9-4EDE-B330-C2BFE5D6043B.jpeg

• Like 5

Gillie and his brother came for a short time tonight and got more buffed including the passenger side rear fender and both front fenders finished up. Bolted on the passenger rear fender,  tail light, Olds emblem, and the rumble seat step. All lights are operational and I adjusted the pedal brake light switch. What a great feeling it is when you go to your parts bin where you put all those pieces of the puzzle as you went restoring them over the years and realize your taking the last part out of that bin! Sometimes it feels like that day will never come. 

I took a lot of the bright work from the car over to my neighbors to have him polish them up. My fender lights were one of the items that the PO had chromed but they were dirty and needed a good polish. They look great now. The radiator mascot was chromed when I got it with the car and I had never realized it didn’t look that great. I was worried I was going to have to get it chromed and knew I’d never have it back in time for Hershey. Well my neighbor carried over my bin of tissue wrapped, freshly polished parts and I opened up my mascot. What a relief when I saw the result of a skilled polisher. Turns out the chrome was good but the piece was just super dirty and grimy. I’m getting closer!

2F7A2390-DE5F-4CED-A273-E2E6724C8BDE.jpeg

6289FB9B-F594-43BD-9A5F-E3ABF79BD0B2.jpeg

5CBC7DDE-2B01-4EA9-8EA4-C0C21716FE1B.jpeg

279AF0A4-E7EC-45A2-87A8-DB7970E3B4A9.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, chistech said:

What a great feeling it is when you go to your parts bin where you put all those pieces of the puzzle as you went restoring them over the years and realize your taking the last part out of that bin!

What! Nothing left over! :)

I suppose I have to agree about the 40 to 50 years old. I am sure I woke up on the morning of my 40th birthday with a !beer gut'! I' am very pleased that I retired at 58. To date, it has given me 15 years of playing with my toys.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chistech said:

Well mike, can’t say I disagree with that statement as I was 37 when I got remarried and my life was great in my forties all around. What the statement doesn’t say is that life starts to end in your fifties! That when everything started hurting and I’d felt things I had never felt before, and most of them, not good things! I think at forty we all have a fair amount of life knowledge and still have the physical body to take advantage of that knowledge. Problem is you’ve got to cram about 30 years of fun into 5-6 as life starts ending it seems quickly in our late forties! LOL 

Ted, I am 66, and I feel great, I have been through stents, bum shoulders, bad back, but everyday above ground is fine with me. I still am looking for the next project. As far as your work on the Oldsmobile, that is one  beautiful automobile. I love the way GM  Divisions back in the day , put an individual stamp on their products.. Thanks. John

• Like 3

Ted - I'm looking over the paint work and it looks like glass !  I can't imagine what it will look like out in the sun light !

5 hours ago, John S. said:

Ted, I am 66, and I feel great, I have been through stents, bum shoulders, bad back, but everyday above ground is fine with me. I still am looking for the next project. As far as your work on the Oldsmobile, that is one  beautiful automobile. I love the way GM  Divisions back in the day , put an individual stamp on their products.. Thanks. John

John - I know the feeling, not even 55 yet and had surgery on both knees and a hernia last year.....seems like it never ends as you get older...😔

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I put on my plates and took her for a drive and put half a tank of gas in her. Got a really big, nice surprise, I can’t believe how nice this car drives. It has virtually no steering wheel play, no side to side drift, shifts super smooth, great brakes, no tipping of the body through tight curves at speed, adjustable shock work great (on or closer to firm setting), and the motor just moves the car from 0 right up to 40 with no effort at all. As nice as my 31’ Chevy sedan is, I find my Olds head and shoulders better. It’s just a super nice driving, comfortable car.

When I pulled in my driveway, Gillie and his brother were here to get more buffing and detailing done. Got almost the whole car body detailed with just a little more to do. I have the drivers side hood panel to assemble with the doors and latch mechanism to do yet but put the two hood top panels and attached the passenger side hood panel. All the side mount hardware got mounted along with the headlights and horns after I polished them all up. Also installed a new windshield glass as I had three previous ones crack. Turns out I was having them cut a little two wide and when raising the windshield up into the vertical or up position, the bottom edge was hitting the bottom rubber and instead of the rubber compressing it was causing the bottom of the windshield glass to bow out slightly, putting pressure on what always was the drivers side lower corner causing the glass to crack only one side of the laminate. Today I had the new windshield glass in place when I went for my ride and nothing happened so I’m pretty sure I solved the issue. 

Tomorrow is my birthday and I turn 58. What we thought was pretty crazy is the plates the registry issued me. My real name is edward brito and the plates read 1EBS58. My wife’s friend who saw them the day I got them said, “EB is 58!” I think that’s pretty cool. Been working with the machine shop on the pedal pad mold and I have the pinstripe painter coming next weekend to give it the finishing touches. Coming right down to the wire.

A6F5ED4D-6539-4884-9187-46E4A4671BBE.jpeg

C7D6EA8F-15B4-4B40-B52B-F7C40CB1BDA4.jpeg

11E56575-D963-4590-B8DF-FB4EE81A1970.jpeg

ACF99314-E1F0-411E-A7EA-142B7EE90444.jpeg

• Like 12

Wow ! You sure do 'em right ! Happy birthday, and happy Hershey, Ted !      -    Carl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ted ,Happy birthday, you youngster. I have been following the restoration on the '32 since you posted it from day One. It has been a great journey for all of us on this forum .. As I had said in the past,  your work on the Oldsmobile has been nothing short of spectacular .See you at Hershey. Thanks, John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

HaPpY bIrThDaY tO yOu....hApPy BiRtHdAy To YoU....(to the music)....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ted, all the work that you put into the wood wheels was so worth while, boy did they came out great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ted your car looks fantastic, your attention to detail pays off, especially taking it for the first drive without any hick ups. Happy Birthday! See you at Hershey.  George.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John S. said:

Ted, all the work that you put into the wood wheels was so worth while, boy did they came out great.

John, I have to agree they were worth all the effort. When you stand at the side of the car, your eyes are drawn right to the wheels. The rich brown spoke with the black sprocket pattern, highlighted with cream white pinstriping, the tall nickel valve stem cover, and the WW tire all come together with a really great look. Black is not my favorite color because of the work to keep it clean but I’m not sure if the wheels, never mind the car, would look as good in any other color. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Do you have some vintage plates to put on it for shows?

I do have a single 32’ mass plate that needs painting and if I get it painted, I might just put it on. I am looking into a vanity plate but because it’s a new registration, the RMV told me I can’t apply for 5-6 months for one. I’m thinking of “Olds 32” or “ DCR 32”. In mass you can’t have a number first on a vanity so it limits my choices. If using original plates, the have to have original paint and cannot be restored or painted. Mass is not particularly easy to work with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weathered1 said:

Ted your car looks fantastic, your attention to detail pays off, especially taking it for the first drive without any hick ups. Happy Birthday! See you at Hershey.  George.

Funny you mention no hiccups. Today my brother came by and I took him for a short ride. Half way through, I pulled over and told him to drive. We switch sides, he gets in and starts off. Before I could tell him to give a little time between shifts so it easier on the syncronizers, he shifts it quickly like a race car and second gear pops and nothing! Oh no, I think he just popped second gear synchronizer so I tell him to go into third and it works. So we get to my house and he turns in my drive, then shifts into first, same thing as second, a little grind then no forward drive. Now I kind of panic and while looking over, I see that the free wheeling knob is partially in and it dawns on me that the free wheeling gear box is the problem. I pull the knob all the way out and off we go. Turns out when he got in the drivers side he somehow must have hit the knob in with his right knee, pushing it in some. I damn near had a heart attack!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TED AND MANY HAPPY RETURNS

Words fail me with your restoration it is just amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a pretty good snafu today when I went to go for another shakedown cruise. When I went to start it, there was no reaction from the starter. Ended up pulling off the starter and taking it apart. Turns out, one of the winding bars had broke free of the armature and jammed it to the side of the starter housing. I have another starter that came with the spare chassis that was complete with a full drivetrain. The chassis cost me $200 and a trip to upstate NY but it was well worth it for sure. I took apart the starter and found a like new armature and new brushes. I put the brushes and armature into my restored housing and put it back in the car. I’m back in business, and glad it let go now, not in Hershey!

• Like 11

Ted, it would be nice if the folks who are on this site like Steve Pollard and others , could all meet on the show field with you and the Oldsmobile. Kind of a home coming of sorts. Just a thought.  Thanks John

• Like 2

The machine shop got the preliminary mold finished today so we could make some test pads and I can have a new pad in place for Hershey. I have to finish up the mold by fastening a back plate to the bottom, milling the height of the pedal hole plugs down to .760, installing two guide pins, and installing 6 perimeter 1/4-20 clamping bolts. Once I’m done with all that tomorrow, I’ll box it up and send it overnight to Joe in CO so he can pour up a few samples and then send them back to me so I can install one in my car before I leave very early Thursday morning for Hershey! Phew, this car showing thing can really be hectic. I’m starting to feel like I’m staring in one of those Velocity channel car shows that always have some stupid deadline except I really do have a deadline!

595D416F-0167-41C1-BFF5-71800B3E3808.jpeg

C4731A84-BC6B-4AED-8D07-12C32BC3594F.jpeg

2663BF04-581D-4B2B-998E-F3404C8C86D9.jpeg

• Like 7