32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

Today heritage plantation in sandwich mass had their car show. I decided for a change of pace that I’d take the Olds to a local show seeing I’ve never shown the car close to home and it would be a no pressure event. I did clean up the areas noted by the judges at the Gettysburg show like painting up the head gasket line around the head and I touched up the exhaust manifold with a fresh coat of barbecue high heat flat black. The show had seven awards being given, participants choice, spectators choice, oldest car, oldest motorcycle, withe the three judged awards, heritage automotive committee modified, heritage automotive committee original, and heritage automotive committee choice. 
      The fee was $25 and was more a donation to the wonderful museum and its mission. There were about 150 cars of all types and a high majority of them were excellent examples of the models. It was a beautiful day with  temps in the mid seventies and very light winds. I trailered the car the 45 miles and unloaded in the trailer parking area then drove it in which was a requirement like most shows. At the end of the show, all cars drive out in a parade fashion with all spectators lining the beautiful grounds roads. This time of year the rhododendrons and peonies are blooming and full of color making for a beautiful area for a car show.

When I arrived I immediately had a gentleman come over to introduce himself and mentioned that he had seen my Olds in the AACA magazine and was happy that a local guy had gotten the honor of being in it. He joked that he wanted to meet a celebrity! The Olds got lots of attention all day and both Michelle and I answered many questions. With the sun being pretty strong, we opted to move our chairs across the road into a shaded area directly across from our car which was in the front of the row. When the judges came by, were surprised to see one of them get on the ground and inspect the chassis. I didn’t think this show was of this caliber but evidently it was. When the awards announcement came, they presented the awards for the oldest car and motorcycle then announced the automotive committee judged awards. The choice or best of show award was announced for car 14, my 32’ Olds DCR! We were very surprised as I mentioned earlier, the caliber and makes of cars were very high standards. The awards were beautiful hand blown, multi colored, leaded glass goblets etched with the show date and award place. What really important to me was a comment that was said to me at the end of the show as we were preparing to exit the grounds in the parade. One of the heritage committee members who was a judge came to the side of my car and said that they really appreciated us showing the car and that it was not only a rare car, but that it was restored excellently, and that he knew what it takes to get one to that level. I’m not trying to blow my own horn here, but that is what he said, and I feel that was an incredible compliment coming from a man who’s involved in some of the nicest restorations there are. Michelle looked at me and said “I guess those 943 hours on the wheels was worth it, huh.” 
     While we were driving out, Michelle found a nice place for a drink and a bite to celebrate the old girls win, a great place right on the canal called the pilot house. It was a good Sunday.😀

• Like 18

6 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Very cool Ted...... Congrats !

Steve

Steve, are you going to the Saratoga show this Saturday? I’ll be up there with the Olds. Maybe we can have a bite or drink if you want.

• Like 1

Hi Ted....unfortunately I'll be working ( just had last week off for our 25th Wedding Anniversary ) but thanks for the invite ! Is this your first time to Saratoga ?

Steve

• Like 2

11 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Hi Ted....unfortunately I'll be working ( just had last week off for our 25th Wedding Anniversary ) but thanks for the invite ! Is this your first time to Saratoga ?

Steve

First forThe car show but I’ve been in the area many times. I used to rodeo at the painted pony, castleton. VT, and thousand acres.

• Like 2

I forgot I had this picture of the Heritage show and my car right after judging. The red dot on the driver's side headlight is to acknowledge that the judging had been completed. As you can see, the weather was perfect. In the background you can see a really nice Volkswagen Westfalia camper bus with it's top up. My wife fell in love with it and said it would be perfect for us when we want to just take a nice sightseeing road trip. We used to have a nice 5th wheel toy hauler camper and we love camping. Maybe I have to start looking!

Heritage show photo 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Okay, I’m pretty excited about another Olds leaving my garage. From what was supposed to be a few months time of being in my way has turned into more than a year and a half but the light is close at the end of the tunnel. I’ve been helping my brother reassemble his 67’ cutlass as it was finally painted. It still needs to be buffed but it’s supposed to be moved out to his small garage in a couple days! Yay! I have the 30’ chevy chassis coming back hopefully the end of this week or the beginning of next so I need the room for the rotisserie it’s mounted on. 
     His cutlass is an old school street/strip car with a 455 dyno’d at 430HP, 570ft lbs of torque. Before his tranny and rear differential change this heavy beast was running 12.5 quarter miles. The th400 was slipping in third so we have no idea what the times will be now with the new trans and converter.

F9C0220D-16AF-4813-904C-40AFC7BEB6D6.jpeg

EA8F31DB-0F01-4115-8702-53F231535DFC.jpeg

AA817E32-2FF7-4442-BE86-68732A040700.jpeg

660D455D-A10D-43CB-8310-C686E53CE108.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I’m waiting on the parts to come back from powder so thought I’d work on a small project I’ve been wanting to try doing. As most know, our old cars don’t have great rear view mirrors available for most of us and the reproduction side mount mirrors leave a lot to be desired. The closed cars have better options with the door edge and hinge pin type mirrors but those of us with cabriolet and other open models don’t have many options. My idea was to come up with a mount that could fasten under the windshield pivot knob and be easily installed/removed when needed. I machined up a block of aluminum making an interlocking design that would mesh with the windshield post stops. I had purchased a couple mirrors off of eBay and just removed the door edge clips from the post. I used a socket cap screw up through the bottom of the block to secure the mirror post to the block. Once I was done and sanded the edges round, a trip across the yard to my neighbors shop for a quick polish. Now to make the drivers side. I might have a few pairs made up at the machine shop on their CNC machine, purchase the mirrors and offer them for sale on eBay.

500DF514-FD59-4830-86D8-35573DBAEC98.jpeg

9DA4ADC0-D733-4035-BB0B-12F857E0124B.jpeg

F3B68E29-7C73-432D-84D0-A19F9C162521.jpeg

AB52A2AF-0670-4D63-8084-5C19A947CD86.jpeg

CB7179DB-181C-43FB-B95E-1A3605129D34.jpeg

0CE0AFFD-07AC-4C3F-884E-E990017D3620.jpeg

97A84F9D-76B9-4AD9-8E23-C14CCFB52057.jpeg

27FECEE7-B995-4B9D-A6CE-8D0DD56FCEAC.jpeg

178F34C2-95D4-4A18-ACBE-B1B9774F7234.jpeg

9810CBD0-3F1C-4693-9785-39693F52D0FA.jpeg

C564287B-16F0-4ED8-AAFB-A62775A72BDC.jpeg

• Like 11

The other day I spotted an add on eBay for a 32’ 6 cylinder Olds motor. Looking at the pictures I could see it had an original and unmolested Stromberg EC-2 carburetor, the Stromberg automatic choke, the wrong but rare 8cyl fuel pump, a correct starter, the wrong generator, a transmission, and a free wheeling unit with its lever. The EC-2 carburetor alone is worth a ton because the top half is the same part used on the auburn 12’s. The fuel pump is another valuable item along with the Stromberg auto choke. I didn’t have a spare motor for my car and probably will never need one but still wanted one for backup.

I called the owner and e told me he purchased the motor at a Florida antique auto flea market and was told it was taken out of a restored car in perfect running condition! Ya, we’ve all heard that one before. The pictures told a different story as the motor was painted blue instead of the proper green, it was covered with tons of dirt, and other parts like the carb, manifold, and fuel pump had been sprayed with aluminum paint right over the dirt! Knowing what the rare parts are worth and if the we broken, I could fix them as I had already fixed those same parts on my own car, I made a deal for the motor. I was lucky to find a local guy to me who was going down to Florida with a flatbed truck and he picked it up and delivered it door to door for the right money.

After looking the motor over, I found the oil clean, the trans clean with good oil, and all linkages free. I removed the generator and fan unit then pulled the plugs. All were evenly blackened some but nothing real bad. I decided to do a compression test for shits and giggles. Here’s what I got. #1-100, #2-105, #3-105, #4-105, #5-105, #6-100. Holy crap, I didn’t believe it so I did the test again. Same thing. I pulled the top cover off the carburetor bowl and blew it out to get all the dry fuel residue out. I set up a small gravity tank to the carb, watched the float come up then stop. I screwed the cover back down and worked the throttle linkage a couple times to see a nice squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump. Can’t be, can it, I thought. There was a complete set of wires and cap on it along with a coil so I hooked up a battery and turned it over. It fired to life and ran wonderfully. The trans shifted great and the free wheeling unit works as it should. So I guess we can’t always judge a book by it’s obvious cover. Yes I know it doesn’t mean all is completely well and I won’t know that until I go looking deeper but it a good start. Removing the trans I found a fairly new gasket and a sealed front trans bearing telling me that the original had been changed. Overall I took somewhat of a chance but it appears it worked out. I have a spare motor (core) if ever needed.

8D090C5C-1BC9-423B-B6BF-790386F31180.jpeg

B75CD79A-B5CF-4DFB-A0F4-10C3F3CA66F4.jpeg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

This past Wednesday morning my buddy and I headed out for the grand National in new ulm Minnesota. It was a good trip out and we arrived early so we were able to get a good sleep. Viewed the incredible cars in the zenith competition including my friend from the vcca chip Boyd’s 31’ chevy phaeton.

John and I cleaned up the Olds on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning we drove onto the field of 140-160 cars, all being extremely nice examples. We were parked right next to another fellow Olds owner and friend Wally with his sweet 31’ business coupe. It was a sunny and hot day but at least it was breezy until just before the shows end when it seemed to get Africa hot because the breeze calmed. I felt bad for a very large imposing man who was walking the show grounds dressed as a Viking as his leather costume had to be like an oven. Towards the end of the show to my surprise, he came up to me and congratulated me as his pick of favorite car of the show and I was presented with a nice care basket filled with local Minnesota fare like wine, beer, granola, German candies, some cookies, a T shirt, a kitchen towel, and last but not least, a plastic Viking helmet! It was a total surprise and really cool.

The banquet was held at the fuller building and there was a terrific show put on for us. Later both Wally and myself won our first grand National awards. It was another great show put on by the AACA. I have a few pictures but the WiFi is so bad here they won’t download.

• Like 8

Just got home safe and sound from the National. 28 hours in the truck, 23 driving and 5 napping. Going to bed now as my eyes are burning and my head feels “punky”. Here are a couple pictures. The first National award and the Viking basket. 

3D532311-F556-4ED6-B43C-B3C445FF0493.jpeg

ECE5D3B8-E589-4361-9083-E62970125CF5.jpeg

• Like 7

Forgot to mention that at the show a gentleman came up to me to discuss how his 31’ chevy cabriolet resembled my Olds. I explained the exact similarities like the windshield framing, roof, and bows. I then showed him the two mirrors I had made for my car and showed him how the are installed and removed, telling him my plan is to machine up more mounting blocks and offer them for sale. He then asked if I’d sell him my set and that he’d come back later near the end of the show. Sure enough he came back and asked me again so I ended up selling my “prototypes” !  Now I have to order more bar stock and start making up more brackets. I’ve gotten about 8-10 people wanting them so it will be a good project to fill in time when waiting for stuff for the other cars I’m working on.

• Like 4

I was very glad to finally get the see this beautiful car on Saturday and have a chance to meet you.  It truly is an amazing piece of work on your part.  As I said on Saturday, it was so much fun to follow your progress on this forum and then to actually get to see the finished product.  Congratulations on your success with it so far and I am sure there will be much more for it in the future.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

!! Congratulations !!

your hard work and dedication pays off, and everyone recognizes it. that is truly one beautiful car, and worth everything.

I do hope that you will bring it down here next spring/summer when we host the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals. You know how to get here 😜 

I will be free and around, and you are welcome as always to stop over and check out the progress in person on my 1929. Your workmanship is still in tip top shape !!

Keep up the good work, and keep sharing and showing that car !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, Oldsmobile 83 said:

I was very glad to finally get the see this beautiful car on Saturday and have a chance to meet you.  It truly is an amazing piece of work on your part.  As I said on Saturday, it was so much fun to follow your progress on this forum and then to actually get to see the finished product.  Congratulations on your success with it so far and I am sure there will be much more for it in the future.

Tim

It was great meeting you Tim. Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A couple days ago I got a call from the Heritage Museums and gardens. They are having a fund raiser event on September 12th and asked me to bring the Olds with complimentary admission to the event because it won at their car show. We’ll be heading down in September for some cocktails and socializing for a good cause while enjoying the top collector cars in the area.

https://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/mecevents/cocktails-for-cars-2/?occurrence=2021-09-12

https://21349.blackbaudhosting.com/21349/2021-Cocktails-for-Cars-Auto-Registration

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Chistech, congratulations, I am thinking that for the next 15 months your calendar will be open and ready for Dec 2022.  Those of us that watched you put this car together knew it was going to be a show stopper or a “centerfold “

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1