32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

Thanks everyone for all the support and comments throughout my restoration of the Olds. At 9:20 last night at the awards banquet my name got called for confirmation of the Olds getting its first junior. The whole thing was a great and enjoyable experience. Everyone was super hospitable and helpful for this first time shower. Steve M stopped by to see my car offering encouragement and advice. The car drew a pretty fair size audience at times and luckily my buddy Joe was there to help me along with another friend Charlie, clean up a very dirty car I never had time to fully detail before leaving home. I ended up talking and answering so many questions about the car, I felt bad they did most of the cleanup! It was great meeting people who have followed my thread like John, Doug, Dale, Jerry, Bob, and others. I’ve made a ton of great friends in this hobby and my wife even commented on that fact of how everyone is so nice in the antique car world. I have to give her a lot of credit supporting me with this whole adventure often putting up with me not being as attentive to her needs as I should have been at times. I’m sure there’s many of you out there that know exactly what I mean. But hey, I did get that new kitchen in for her!😂

The Olds ran and drove perfectly which helped ease any jitters. I picked Joe up on Hershey Park drive early Saturday morning and he accompanied me to my trailer then we drove in with the car to the show field. It was important to me that he was with me because without his help over the last 3-4 years, I never would have been able to accomplish the level of restoration that I wanted. Joe is a great friend and I’m glad we’re able to work together, though most times long distance, to bring these old cars back to life. 

There is still some tweaking that I’m planning on this like some small hardware pieces that I need to change and a simple easy mistake that I completely missed like having the weep holes on my tail light lense rims up instead of down (duh!) before I go for my senior. I’m also planning on attending the National Antique Oldsmobile Club national meet being held next June in Lansing, MI. Lansing is the birthplace of this and most Olds so it will be a great homecoming for the car. Here’s some pictures from the show and the “real” trophy. It’s metal and a marble like material. Thanks everyone again and I’ll be back here from time to time posting some updates. Keep an eye out on a new restoration thread on a 34’ Chevy pickup I’ll be documenting from now on. It’s already about half done.

F648AC68-E103-472D-A408-9F92E35B31AC.jpeg

9796973E-27F8-4C1B-9A20-4265A7CBD932.jpeg

D4EC1DCF-9AE6-4F08-8409-84548413CEBB.jpeg

AC78953E-AD99-466F-BEB9-67D8F37D2BBE.jpeg

• Like 8

Me and my buddy Joe Pirrone. Every time I’m trying to find him at Hershey he always tells me to “look down”!  His height is a benefit though when going into the Hyman tent🤔 Key chain anyone? (Only those who attend Hershey and have gone into the Hyman tent will know!)

6F81FA04-CD3F-49C7-AA25-CB0DF148EDD1.jpeg

• Like 6

Glad you had a good time at Hershey. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Hershey this year. I had faith you would have no problem obtaining your First Junior. I am happy to be able to say that I had a very tiny part in your restoration. Any chance you will be at Charlotte to compete for your Senior? If so, I will be happy to get a chance to meet you and see the car in person.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Glad you had a good time at Hershey. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Hershey this year. I had faith you would have no problem obtaining your First Junior. I am happy to be able to say that I had a very tiny part in your restoration. Any chance you will be at Charlotte to compete for your Senior? If so, I will be happy to get a chance to meet you and see the car in person.   

I’ll have to look at the date. Can you direct me to more info?

1 hour ago, chistech said:

That would be the Hornets Nest Region :) Usually First weekend or so of April at the race track. never been myself, but many go, it is like a small spring Hershey :) there is ONLY ONE HERSHEY !!!

https://www.hnr-aaca.org/events-meetings

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/calendar/

Thought I would share some photos i took of Ted's Olds. pictures do NOT do it justice at all.. (Ted I will email you the full size photos for your collection) I did get a shot of Ted & his Wife with the Olds, but will let him decide on posting that one or not. Ted is in a few as well as Joe. others not sure who they are, many spectators, and he had a good crowd stopping over talking and asking questions.

Car was top notch and looked it. Nothing but the best !!

20191012_091904.thumb.jpg.2cfaefef6bd9177b20ed7117bd5428eb.jpg

20191012_091926.thumb.jpg.56fcfe54d8caee897f503800cc16a5c4.jpg

20191012_092004.thumb.jpg.86ea467cad38823aa1d31dfcee4d4fbc.jpg

20191012_091842.thumb.jpg.dfa22884c49d2cd06da5c4bc31ca2064.jpg

20191012_092012.thumb.jpg.cad46bc07bc791740df1febf193798cd.jpg

20191012_092035.thumb.jpg.38a2381fcdebe7967451fbe557e84a38.jpg

20191012_092039.thumb.jpg.3febc39d7b57d01077c398f5d3e52b8f.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chistech said:

The 2020 schedule does not seem to be online yet but checking the latest Antique Automobile magazine, it shows it as April 2-5, 2020.  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jerry, thanks for taking all those pictures. I never got to take many. My car was real dirty, even the inside as your pictures show before how it looked before I got to the inside! When I unloaded it today, it was again full of dust and dirt! While walking around in the chocolate field, I ended up ordering a custom fit, dustless, car cover. Hopefully it will help.

• Like 2

Ted and Michelle , congratulations on the award for the Oldsmobile, It is well deserved ! One of the highlights of Hershey was meeting you and Michelle, and seeing the Oldsmobile in person. As great as it is in photos, seeing it front and center is what the car hobby is all about. My wife Laura could not get over how beautiful the car is, and the work that went into it. I also want to congratulated Joe Pirrone for all his hard work on the '32. Michelle is right when saying there are great people in the hobby. And you three  folks are proof of that. Looking forward to your post on the truck. Thanks. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, MCHinson said:

There was a 32’ Olds sport coupe right next to me that has already won his junior and senior awards. I was showing him my recreated golf bag door lock and pointed out your work on the dust cover. He was quite impressed. I also pointed out the sill tag and the fact that you duplicated the exact fonts used by Oldsmobile back then. There were quite a few people interested and asking about how you went about getting the fonts so correct. There were a couple gentlemen who are restoring Olds right now and took my card to contact me at a later date for your information. Great job my friend. I was very surprised to find many asked about all the small details on the car which makes all the special efforts worth it.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, John S. said:

Ted, Laura and I are still talking about the Oldsmobile. John

Well at least it provided you with some discussion material! LOL. Michelle and I are still kind of taken back with the reception the car got considering the company it kept in the area. With Auburns, packards, Chrysler’s, Caddy’s, pierce arrows, and values of some in excess of $1,000,000 right across the row, it amazed us at how many people hovered around the Olds all day. The condition of the grass close around my car was pointed out to me and can be seen in many of Jerry’s pictures. It was worn almost completely down from all the foot traffic and was in the same condition of the main road. I do think keeping my hood open helped draw people over to look at it and I was more available to answer questions about my car than others seemed to be. What I thought was different was I was asked about setting up the automatic choke by a packard owner. The owner was surprised to find out that my Olds had the same choke as his 34’ packard did and my Olds was a 32’. He mentioned that he was having trouble getting his to work good, either not choking enough or over choking the engine. He was trying to adjust it by the thermo-spring and I explained that he needed to adjust it by how much the choke plate is open when the choke mechanism is in the cold or closed setting. It seems everyone wants to totally close the choke plate when there is no need for it and it will always over choke in that setting. I explained to set the plate about 1/4” open when in the cold position and to pump the accelerator about two to three times before turning the motor over to dump raw gas into the intake. When I showed him how instantaneously my car started he couldn’t believe it. It was great I was able to help out a guy with a big classic car like his. The whole experience will give Michelle and I plenty to talk about for days to come. I am willing to bet though she’ll get tired of it pretty soon!😁

• Like 4

Well, that is what makes Hershey ,"HERSHEY"! It is the sincere appreciation and respect of what goes into a restoration.  Folks know of the  expense,  time, and passion that make up the finished product. It is wonderful  when a Packard owner can marvel at the workings of your Oldsmobile, and have a conversation about  a choke, or choosing a color choice. It's what makes this hobby unique. We truly have a love for old cars, trucks, etc.. Laura loves the show on Saturday, and she enjoyed talking with  Michelle about the work that went into the '32. My wife  was  getting a little  nervous when a photographer taking pictures of your car,  was  too close to the headlight with her camera. All in all it was  a wonderful time. Thanks again,  John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Olds was painted with Matrix products and today Gilly sent me a text message. Matrix, which is now part of sherwin Williams wants to put the Olds in their calendar for 2020. There is a photo I really like other than the fact I’m in it that was taken by Anthony De Seta and if currently on the aaca Facebook page. It was taken in the early morning when I first arrived and the morning sun kind of backlights the car. Hope Anthony gives his permission to use it.

252BE1C7-23A2-48F9-9130-1D252DEFE405.jpeg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, chistech said:

What really kind of funny is joe is in the picture too. You can just see his sneaker in front of the passenger rear tire on the grass!

thats sad, at least his shoe made the shot !! car would hide him anyways no matter where he was standing on the other side :o

• Like 3

Great photo , Ted. I am just sorry that I was too late with the "Who's that guy standing in the background, ruining  the shot"? I hope they use the photo on the calendar. That is one beautiful car! My eyes must be bad. I don't even see Joe's foot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John S. said:

Great photo , Ted. I am just sorry that I was too late with the "Who's that guy standing in the background, ruining  the shot"? I hope they use the photo on the calendar. That is one beautiful car! My eyes must be bad. I don't even see Joe's foot!

Just in front of the right rear tire....very light colored. Looks kinda like dirt or a rock, but is a foot.

foot and car (2).jpeg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yesterday Michelle walked out to the mailbox to get the mail and said I had an envelope from the AACA. I came in for some lunch and looked at the envelope thinking it was paperwork to do with my first junior award. When I opened the envelope and started ready the letter I was really taken back. Below is the letter I received. 

AACA National Award Letter 001.jpg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 7