32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

Well, finally a little good news, didn’t have to repaint the hood panels as they were able to sand and buff to a smooth finish. Installed the hood doors and installed the top panel on the hood hinge. Had to spend some time cleaning up the actual hinge area of the center hood hinge because of chrome and copper in the hinge area because the hood panel did not want to rotate the full range in the hinge. There was too much build up of copper and chrome. With the hinge all cleaned up and the top hoo panel slid on, connected the side panel with the 1/4” rod. Trying to close the hood showed too much gap at the bottom of the cowl band area and an overlap at the radiator shroud front bottom. The front body is always mounted on top of the fenders with about .060 worth of rubber so I’ll have to drop the radiator some to fix the alignment. There are some shims and I most likely got one or two in the wrong location when I put the radiator on the chassis. Now is the time to make these adjustments before everything is buffed up and pretty. The hood really adds some length to the car.

Went to the registry yesterday and got the plates for the car so it’s officially on the road even though it’s not quite ready. Also made an appointment with my pinstripe painter for the first weekend in October to paint all the striping. Going to come down to the wire but I think I’m going to make it!

80105FE4-FC8A-4C63-9332-5C46CBAB261C.jpeg

CA4C394A-2C26-4891-A62C-C128BEF03E86.jpeg

• Like 10

Just for fun I looked at your first post. I think you should re-paint it a flat yellow. Ha ha...just kidding. It's a real piece of sculpture now !!

I don't know how tight side mount tires are supposed to fit in the fenders, but on my '32 Chevy I have stress cracks in the paint where the tires are wedged in against the fender. Maybe they should be under inflated to be safe so as not to create any stress on that new paint. Just something that came to mind after looking at the above photo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

Just for fun I looked at your first post. I think you should re-paint it a flat yellow. Ha ha...just kidding. It's a real piece of sculpture now !!

I don't know how tight side mount tires are supposed to fit in the fenders, but on my '32 Chevy I have stress cracks in the paint where the tires are wedged in against the fender. Maybe they should be under inflated to be safe so as not to create any stress on that new paint. Just something that came to mind after looking at the above photo. 

I just couldn’t find the right tone of fuschia so I settled on the black!😂

My 31’ is the same as your 32’ Charlie as far as the tires being too tight in the wells so I keep them under inflated which kind of defeats the purpose of having a spare doesn’t it? My Olds is not even close to being that tight. With the tires fully inflated they are just lightly snug and easy to put in and out. The Olds just seems to be a better thought out and featured car but with it costing twice as much as the 32’ Chevy, it should be. It seems back then you really got what you paid for but also, the fords and cheviys offered a lot for the money. The higher in cost someone paid I believe the value came closer to the price paid. The F & C cars were the lost leaders of the industry probably worth more than the actual cost in some cases.

• Like 2

Drained the radiator today and went about lowering the radiator on the cross member. There was 3/8” of shim under each bolt and I ended up removing all but 1/8”. Spoke with my Buddy joe and he told me his car only had one 1/8” shim. Removing the shims got the whole shooting match much more in line where it should be though it’s not completely perfect. Looking at my catalog of 32’ Olds pictures it seems the hood alignment was an issue right from the factory and mine is just as good or better than most so I’m happy with where it all sits and tightened it all up. Removed the headlight bars with buckets and horns so the front fenders can be buffed up. Going to polish up all the front chrome while it’s off the car so it’s all cleaned up and ready for final assembly.

• Like 2

Hi George, I’m in class 20B, production cars, ( non-ford) 32’-33’. I don’t know where on the grounds I’ll be located and I don’t know if they keep the classes together. I’ll ask that in another forum and possibly I’ll find out. Gene wieder, who owns a very nice 32’ Olds sport Coupe will also be showing his car. He already has his junior and is going for his senior award. Not sure if we’ll be in the same area. 

• Like 1

Front fenders have been buffed along with the whole back of the car and the drivers side fender which I installed with fender welt this time. Installed the twilight and license plate bracket. Fuel tank apron is all buffed so the luggage rack went on and will stay on now! All the chrome pieces I’ve taken off are now at my neighbor’s getting buffed up nice and shiny. Ordered some Meguiars products to help clean and detail it up. Going to polish up the headlights off the car and the radiator shroud then put the headlight/support bars assembly back on the car when all is done.

24E82E04-867E-4654-AA09-36D9E31DCF28.jpeg

E8D6C04E-C543-4EF5-9E95-5DB6DEB03800.jpeg

AEE6A7A4-E352-40F5-A07F-3DB6CC8BE1C5.jpeg

955FFBC2-08FC-4793-9972-094C5B51D1C9.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Well today I did no work on the Olds on any car in the garage. What I ended up doing was some major work on my enclosed trailer. I bought a few years ago in very good condition and for not a lot of money. It has previously had a couple leaks that the original owner took care of but the ceiling shows the old leaks. Other than this, the trailer was in very good shape. What I never noticed is the rear cross member had been covered with flat metal because it had started to rot. How I found this is my brother borrowed my trailer to haul his 67’ cutlass up to the drag races and the right  side of the rear door broke down by the hinge line. 

I pulled the rear door inner aluminum covering and plywood off to expose the tubular frame work. Of course the bottom cross tubing was rotten out and that’s what caused the door to fail. When I got a closer look at the hinge line is when I discovered the rear cross member being bad so out came the 5” grinder and thin cutoff wheels. Got the bottom of the rear door cut off and the new heavy wall tubing welded in. The rear cross member is proving much harder to remove but it’s almost out. Once it’s out, I’ll cut the new 2x3” HW tubing to length, weld it in, then make up some gussets wherever there any deteriorated steel. My plan is to get the cross member in place and tacked on the outside back then back the trailer over the edge of a loading ramp/wall that’s up by my garage. This will allow me about four feet of head room to work under the rear of the trailer so I can weld it up solid.

0D89DBE9-CAC1-428B-A97E-D324D3509E30.jpeg

FBF1DA8D-4391-4929-8835-BE3E4EECDA85.jpeg

3D5BF0BD-0733-46AB-B3E8-6D160E47DF32.jpeg

• Like 2

Spent all day on the trailer. Getting the rear cross member out and making up a new one along with a secondary cross member that’s right took a while to plan out. Made up a couple of “ears” by bending up some 4”x1/8” flat plate into an “L” shape and welding them to the end of the secondary cross member. These replaced the ends of the two rails that had rotted out and sealed the ends of the tubing. The two cross members got welded together out of the trailer where it was easy to do then the assembly was put in place, ears clamped to the side of the chassis rails, and the ends in place at the uprights of the trailer. Cut the hinges off the old cross member as an assembly and welded them to the new cross member. Once everything was checked with measurements, I welded the ends first to hold everything in place then I backed the trailer over the edge of my wall/loading dock and got underneath the back with room to spare, and welded up everything with good heavy welds. Using the grinder and a stiff wire wheel on another grinder motor I cleaned up all the welds and any rusty surfaces. I fitted a 4”x1/8 flat plate on top of the rear cross member and mounted it with 1/4x20 SS pan head screws threaded into the heavy wall tube. To this plate I welded the U channel that secures the rear edge of the plywood decking. The whole assembly had been welded in place with the previous repair which would have made changing out the deck a lot of work. Now the channel can be removed by simply removing the SS screws and sliding the plate with U channel back. Everything got etch primed the painted black. Tomorrow I’ll weld the door to the hinge angle iron then put all the pieces back on. It will be like new when it’s all done.

03DC6907-75A8-4C44-8DA4-696B689D80B5.jpeg

3B8CB0A8-216A-4E04-A579-73B170F3E17F.jpeg

AEFC51F3-58B9-4844-AF9D-BCF197488E24.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kestrel said:

That your brother discovered this issue BEFORE the Hershey trip is beyond fortuitous. Last thing you want is a structural failure hauling that Olds. Murphy's law is always lurking...😃

It probably would have been fine with my antique cars till the end of the year but his big block cutlass just weighs a ton more and caused it to let go. The really good thing is our weather has been perfect and couldn’t be better for this kind of outside work. Well, it took three days with two of the long, but other than a finish strip or two of aluminum, it’s done. Found almost all the screws that hold the the two door latch handle plates were broken. With the back of the ramp stripped, it was easy to get to the backs of the remainder of the screws and removed them with vise grips. Put some silicone around the tops of the latch plates and screwed them back in tight with all SS screws. Replaced most all the other screws with SS so rust shouldn’t be an issue down the road. With the new steel and the rear door all screwed together tight, it closes and latches tighter than it ever has and appears to be a good tight seal all around.

354DEFF0-F271-4F66-AAB7-04A4ACDCDE48.jpeg

174741C7-4166-4586-9A1B-81ED525A4C0C.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

I know that kind of work.  It gives you a work out.  You got RC planes stored every where. In trailers, shop rafters, on old car roofs in the house.  :)

I’m sore as hell especially the sides of my hips from laying on the concrete working underneath. I’m getting too old for this stuff. I can remember when I’d do stuff like this, day after day, work my regular job,  break/train working cow horses and team roping horses. I’d go non stop from 6am to 11pm. Now, the body starts hurting pretty quickly but I have to keep going. This trailer repair was a ton of work without using any torches, removing the rotted metal took much longer and was more bull work.

You don’t miss much when it comes to my RC planes. There are a few in my trailer because my club is having a RC flea market and they are going to the sale. One you can see at the back end of the trailer,  my buddy just gave to me, a 1/5 scale gas powered P51 mustang worth about 2grand! I had to accept it, I had no choice!😂 it is NOT going to the sale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

That's a true buddy right there. :) 

Trust me, one hand washes the other. Every time he bends an aluminum strut on one of his big planes, he comes sees me to straighten and fabricate a new one. I’m also helping him to assemble a turbo charged and modified VW boxer engine for a full size sport aircraft called a Sonex plus helping him sort out some issues with a 67’ Ford Mustang. All in my spare time of course!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

If you ever meet the guy who said "Life begins at 40" give him a smack from me - It's all down hill from then on!

Our problem is our brains still think we are in our twenty's. 

Well mike, can’t say I disagree with that statement as I was 37 when I got remarried and my life was great in my forties all around. What the statement doesn’t say is that life starts to end in your fifties! That when everything started hurting and I’d felt things I had never felt before, and most of them, not good things! I think at forty we all have a fair amount of life knowledge and still have the physical body to take advantage of that knowledge. Problem is you’ve got to cram about 30 years of fun into 5-6 as life starts ending it seems quickly in our late forties! LOL 

• Like 1

Went to HD today and picked up a 8’x2” strip of 1/8” aluminum and a 3/4” aluminum angle. Installed the angle at the inside ramp edge and the 2” strip got screwed to th bottom outside skin. It is finally done and checked it all over, everything is working, brakes are good so I’m ready for October!

BFA45C32-D785-4A06-A983-F3A40CCF097E.jpeg

783D5780-061E-474E-B2CB-7816EB6530F3.jpeg

40369D91-B0A9-4EDE-B330-C2BFE5D6043B.jpeg

• Like 5

Gillie and his brother came for a short time tonight and got more buffed including the passenger side rear fender and both front fenders finished up. Bolted on the passenger rear fender,  tail light, Olds emblem, and the rumble seat step. All lights are operational and I adjusted the pedal brake light switch. What a great feeling it is when you go to your parts bin where you put all those pieces of the puzzle as you went restoring them over the years and realize your taking the last part out of that bin! Sometimes it feels like that day will never come. 

I took a lot of the bright work from the car over to my neighbors to have him polish them up. My fender lights were one of the items that the PO had chromed but they were dirty and needed a good polish. They look great now. The radiator mascot was chromed when I got it with the car and I had never realized it didn’t look that great. I was worried I was going to have to get it chromed and knew I’d never have it back in time for Hershey. Well my neighbor carried over my bin of tissue wrapped, freshly polished parts and I opened up my mascot. What a relief when I saw the result of a skilled polisher. Turns out the chrome was good but the piece was just super dirty and grimy. I’m getting closer!

2F7A2390-DE5F-4CED-A273-E2E6724C8BDE.jpeg

6289FB9B-F594-43BD-9A5F-E3ABF79BD0B2.jpeg

5CBC7DDE-2B01-4EA9-8EA4-C0C21716FE1B.jpeg

279AF0A4-E7EC-45A2-87A8-DB7970E3B4A9.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, chistech said:

What a great feeling it is when you go to your parts bin where you put all those pieces of the puzzle as you went restoring them over the years and realize your taking the last part out of that bin!

What! Nothing left over! :)

I suppose I have to agree about the 40 to 50 years old. I am sure I woke up on the morning of my 40th birthday with a !beer gut'! I' am very pleased that I retired at 58. To date, it has given me 15 years of playing with my toys.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chistech said:

Well mike, can’t say I disagree with that statement as I was 37 when I got remarried and my life was great in my forties all around. What the statement doesn’t say is that life starts to end in your fifties! That when everything started hurting and I’d felt things I had never felt before, and most of them, not good things! I think at forty we all have a fair amount of life knowledge and still have the physical body to take advantage of that knowledge. Problem is you’ve got to cram about 30 years of fun into 5-6 as life starts ending it seems quickly in our late forties! LOL 

Ted, I am 66, and I feel great, I have been through stents, bum shoulders, bad back, but everyday above ground is fine with me. I still am looking for the next project. As far as your work on the Oldsmobile, that is one  beautiful automobile. I love the way GM  Divisions back in the day , put an individual stamp on their products.. Thanks. John

• Like 3

Ted - I'm looking over the paint work and it looks like glass !  I can't imagine what it will look like out in the sun light !

5 hours ago, John S. said:

Ted, I am 66, and I feel great, I have been through stents, bum shoulders, bad back, but everyday above ground is fine with me. I still am looking for the next project. As far as your work on the Oldsmobile, that is one  beautiful automobile. I love the way GM  Divisions back in the day , put an individual stamp on their products.. Thanks. John

John - I know the feeling, not even 55 yet and had surgery on both knees and a hernia last year.....seems like it never ends as you get older...😔

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I put on my plates and took her for a drive and put half a tank of gas in her. Got a really big, nice surprise, I can’t believe how nice this car drives. It has virtually no steering wheel play, no side to side drift, shifts super smooth, great brakes, no tipping of the body through tight curves at speed, adjustable shock work great (on or closer to firm setting), and the motor just moves the car from 0 right up to 40 with no effort at all. As nice as my 31’ Chevy sedan is, I find my Olds head and shoulders better. It’s just a super nice driving, comfortable car.

When I pulled in my driveway, Gillie and his brother were here to get more buffing and detailing done. Got almost the whole car body detailed with just a little more to do. I have the drivers side hood panel to assemble with the doors and latch mechanism to do yet but put the two hood top panels and attached the passenger side hood panel. All the side mount hardware got mounted along with the headlights and horns after I polished them all up. Also installed a new windshield glass as I had three previous ones crack. Turns out I was having them cut a little two wide and when raising the windshield up into the vertical or up position, the bottom edge was hitting the bottom rubber and instead of the rubber compressing it was causing the bottom of the windshield glass to bow out slightly, putting pressure on what always was the drivers side lower corner causing the glass to crack only one side of the laminate. Today I had the new windshield glass in place when I went for my ride and nothing happened so I’m pretty sure I solved the issue. 

Tomorrow is my birthday and I turn 58. What we thought was pretty crazy is the plates the registry issued me. My real name is edward brito and the plates read 1EBS58. My wife’s friend who saw them the day I got them said, “EB is 58!” I think that’s pretty cool. Been working with the machine shop on the pedal pad mold and I have the pinstripe painter coming next weekend to give it the finishing touches. Coming right down to the wire.

A6F5ED4D-6539-4884-9187-46E4A4671BBE.jpeg

C7D6EA8F-15B4-4B40-B52B-F7C40CB1BDA4.jpeg

11E56575-D963-4590-B8DF-FB4EE81A1970.jpeg

ACF99314-E1F0-411E-A7EA-142B7EE90444.jpeg

• Like 12

Ted ,Happy birthday, you youngster. I have been following the restoration on the '32 since you posted it from day One. It has been a great journey for all of us on this forum .. As I had said in the past,  your work on the Oldsmobile has been nothing short of spectacular .See you at Hershey. Thanks, John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1