chistech

32' Oldsmobile Deluxe Convertible Roadster

I fully matted my 31' Chevy 4dr special sedan, from cowl to rear of body and all doors. I did it more to quiet the body rather than insulate it. It also has a full front cowl insulator pad which 31 was the first year for that in a chevy. I am planning on adding it to my olds in the cowl sides, doors, and body sides and possibly the inside of the firewall. The Olds firewall is actually quite complicated with a deep curved channel running in a circular shape that will make it difficult to line with the matting but it can be done. I've actually already ordered enough material to do the job. 

My body man came today to work and brought some Matrix brand primer with him. He’s finishing off the body and most parts tomorrow and will prime it all tomorrow too. I didn’t realize how recognized his work is but it turns out Matrix has been considering him for an upcoming years “Mavericks of color”, an award for the best painters using Matrix paint. The award started back with the TV show Counting Cars at Counts Kustoms with their painter, Ryan Evans receiving the first award. Now every year Ryan passes the torch to other painters who have earned the recognition. When Gilly (my painter) spoke to the area Matrix rep about my car they told him about his good chance of getting the award and they also want to use a picture of my car when it’s completed for their next years calendar! Pretty cool.

• Like 2

Well, as promised the car (most of it minus the hood and front fenders) has been primed. Now I’m going to have a big “block” party. If you’ve got the time I’ll supply the beer and 🍕!😀 Now it’s time to get out the guide coat paint and start wet sanding. Some shots of it masked off and primed.

A518CE0E-7E22-42DD-ACF1-DD3CA9BC733F.jpeg

02799CEF-77E2-41EB-865E-4421FC0E215E.jpeg

C3B27BA4-BD1C-474D-87DC-C1F714636721.jpeg

21463D3E-5FCB-45D0-9A3B-D9829C57D138.jpeg

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My good friend Joe who’s also restoring a 32’ Olds rumble seat sport coupe sent me a custom made stone guard that was probably made over 20 years and is no longer available. He bought it many years ago but decided not to use it. His car is a deluxe wood wheeled model but he’s gone with a very subtle version. 32’ Olds could be ordered with lots of bling or could also be ordered in a subdued look. My car has lots of chrome including the optional chrome hood doors, chrome windshield frame, landau bars, etc., with the optional varnished wheels, and wide white walls. Joes car has chrome but his hood doors are painted, his car is closed sothe windshield is part of the painted body, his wheels are painted, and his tires are black walls.

So while both cars will be restored to equally high standards and as close to OEM as possible, they will be at both ends of the spectrum as to how they were available to the public to purchase in 32’. Our goal is to eventually show them together so people can see the contrast. 

Here’s a picture of the radiator with the stone guard in place. It really gives it even more bling from the black shutters underneath. In 32’, with the depression in effect, anyone who purchased a roadster was probably fairly well off and if single, probably considered a “playboy” with a flashy car. So that’s what my roadster will look like! 

B8489B6E-8DB5-44F8-99AB-F2B38A16A465.jpeg

• Like 4

Ted, you and your body man are doing a spectacular job on the Olds That car is straight!.  Great work as always. John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John S. said:

Ted, you and your body man are doing a spectacular job on the Olds That car is straight!.  Great work as always. John

It was a gratifying move to bringing the body back to my shop to stop worrying about when or if any work would be done on it or if it would be ready for the 2019 show season. I had discussed with, and my wife saw, my frustration over my decision to leave my friends shop but I had to do it. I needed to move on so things could get done and I could rest easier. I examined other options including other shops but really wanted to find a body guy to work out of my own garage. I knew if I could At least get the body prepped, I could still get my friend to paint it as we parted on friendly terms. What was a plus was getting Gilly to come to my shop as I not only got an excellent body man, but an excellent painter too. I can tell you I’m sleeping much better but just recently not so well. Now with the excitement of it getting close paint, I can’t seem to sleep again!😅

I took my radiator assembly to my moms garage where my Olds chassis is so I could mount it on. Didn’t take but a few minutes and it was mounted up. Again, another assembly that hasn’t been back in place for well over a year. Piece by piece, it’s looking like a car again.

D4982303-AF31-43E4-9774-3427BC1B8096.jpeg

0D181053-CD8D-4F39-9F48-6A94B1B2D6C5.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

I just wish I lived closer. I would enjoy the block party

Is it because I only offered beer and pizza 🍕? 😆 

actually, it amazes me that I can’t find anyone who’s interested in coming over, talking old cars, and just hanging out. I really think it’s because I’m a pre-war kind of guy and most cars guys now who are retired are Muscle car guys, my brother being one himself even though he’s not retired yet. There’s really not a lot of pre-war, original type guys in New England anymore and those that are are either spread thin or too old to want to drive or do anything much on a car. I have a good friend who loves this era and original cars but he’s over an hour away. Just a little to far for us to pull daily or even weekly reciprocal visits. It’s actually a good thing though as both our wives get along great and both love to tea-total a bit. Man, they can get 😜 and when that happens, who the hell wants to work on cars!

1 minute ago, chistech said:

Is it because I only offered beer and pizza 🍕? 😆 

actually, it amazes me that I can’t find anyone who’s interested in coming over, talking old cars, and just hanging out. I really think it’s because I’m a pre-war kind of guy and most cars guys now who are retired are Muscle car guys, my brother being one himself even though he’s not retired yet. There’s really not a lot of pre-war, original type guys in New England anymore and those that are are either spread thin or too old to want to drive or do anything much on a car. I have a good friend who loves this era and original cars but he’s over an hour away. Just a little to far for us to pull daily or even weekly reciprocal visits. It’s actually a good thing though as both our wives get along great and both love to tea-total a bit. Man, they can get 😜 and when that happens, who the hell wants to work on cars!

I have exactly the same problem here in southern Oregon. Most guys are into muscle cars or more modern cars than mine. No help at all. I feel like I'm at an oasis in the desert. I can NEVER get anyone to just come and hang out, let alone lift a finger with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame that the older cars don't seem to be able to Garner the admiration anymore. Now people look at me with crazy eyes when i tell them I'm into pre war original cars. 😒

• Haha 1

Well, I'd stop in if you were just a bit closer. I'm fortunate in having at least two friends who appreciate pre-war cars... one of them has an unrestored '31 Chrysler CM6 roadster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

Well, I'd stop in if you were just a bit closer. I'm fortunate in having at least two friends who appreciate pre-war cars... one of them has an unrestored '31 Chrysler CM6 roadster.

That’s exactly it joe, we’re all just a little too spread out. My buddy with a 32’ Chevy lives in Voluntown CT which is just a little too far at the hour twenty minute mark. There is a guy in town with a very decent collection from pre-war to the 80’s but he’s basically 95yrs old and still working in his garage. He has a friend who comes over to his place every day so I won’t intrude. He’s a little eccentric, somewhat of a miser, and I know we wouldn’t see eye to eye on a lot of things. He’s like “that will be good enough” and I’m the opposite with “it needs to be done the best way possible”. I’m not big on being encouraged to cut corners if you know what I mean. 😆 

Primer is still hardening up so a guide coat got sprayed on and we started on the front fenders. They were done years ago and left in primer. While the majority of the surfaces of both fenders are perfect, there are some areas that were exposed to moisture and it caused the need for some removal off the old work and new touch up repair.

DEA81F25-E0B0-4087-86CD-3747186B3A7D.jpeg

EE33902F-B2A3-497A-BEF5-A233593D31C7.jpeg

629D0ABF-588D-43B7-B522-27BCF85BA845.jpeg

3CDEEBBD-08EF-4F53-B5AB-7E1F03C91F17.jpeg

• Like 4

Geez John, it’s only been two days! LOL 😆. Actually, Gilly has had obligations and I’ve been straight out with family things and other Stuff so no, nothing has happened but I believe if not tomorrow, the Sunday Gilly will be coming and we’ll get back to it. I’ll be heading to Florida next Tuesday and won’t be back till the first  but Gilly will continue working while I’m gone and I’ll have him send me pictures and progress reports so I can post them.