For Sale 1970 MARCH 702 F-2 Race Car Last Raced 1979

OK-- I'll try this forum and see what happens. A little info here to begin. This is a European Race Car with NO US History ever.. Therefore it is NOT an Formula Atlantic, never was... MARCH was formed in about 1969 and built several tube chassis in 69 and 1970 before going to the all aluminum tub-type chassis. The F-2 and F-3 frames were identical. Only the attached bits differed depending on if it was a small displacement engine (F-3) or a 2000cc  (F-2) car. The F-1 cars were different, but still shared a lot of the same pieces.

OK- So MY CAR is this: BMW 2000cc Tii based (1970 date codes) with the Kuglefisher racing multiport injection (not the passenger car stuff) and has a Hewland transmission. The car was last raced in 1979 in Germany including Nurburgring. It has two tech stickers that can still be seen-- One from the ADAC and one other. Here are some of the events it participated in:  

Formula 2 MARCH-BMW driven by Karl Schmitt of Marienrachdorf, Germany. Raced in F-2 class at Nurburgring 9th international ADAC/BMC event. First place. (1978)

14th International ADAC-Bergpries Heilbronn. First Place (1978)

12th International ADAC-Bergpries Wuppertal on the Nurbergring. First Place. (1978)

Course De Cote Int. Luxemburg. Second Place 1979

12th International DMV-Bergpries-Zotzenbach 1979

The car has been stored since I imported it in 1990, it requires a complete restoration. Last time the engine was ran was in 1991. I recently uncovered it from many tarps, blankets and covers. Here are a few photos

Own a piece of racing history for only 12,000

WP_20160905_001[1].jpg

Disc small cmra 10-09 503.jpg

You are close enough to be tempting , but still far enough to be an obstacle. Esp. as your car will probably end up being a marginal at best fit.  I am probably going to stick to my original plan and keep looking for a 2 lit. sports racer, preferably in the Pacific North West.

But a person rarely encounters a March at this sort of "entry level" price.  Someone is going to be very happy with your car.

Greg in Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I have been looking for more information to help identify the car, But I must say, I have been through this before. Guys ask me to look here-- look there-- what about this or that. Reminds me of the last time I put it out there for sale and I had a guy that JUST HAD to know about chassis numbers... I finally gave in and drilled out several rivets to expose the tube frame under and around the instrument panel. NO numbers were found. That was when I wrapped it up and walked away from it. It has been about 10 years now. Certainly not fair to the car! AND I complain about other guys that have cars sitting around no one enjoying them! Here I am GUILTY!

MARCH 702 single pic next to trailer.doc

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

OK--- NEW information!   I now have the chassis number for the car!   24/AM170  This confirms it is a real MARCH chassis! Built in 1970. Now it can be identified and anyone that knows how to check history for this car can check the records. I FINALLY got help from someone that really did know where to look for the number and I went right to it!  ALL the other guys that claimed to know where it was were totally WRONG WRONG WRONG! 

Price NOW---  $9500 -- It should be in the hands of someone that will get it back on the track! 

Edited by Ovalrace25
price reduced! (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Sweet car , sweet price.  I so want to buy it however I already have as much vintage racing hardware as I can handle. As I said before someone is going to be very happy as the March's new owner. 

Greg in Canada

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:42 PM, 1912Staver said:

Sweet car , sweet price.  I so want to buy it however I already have as much vintage racing hardware as I can handle. As I said before someone is going to be very happy as the March's new owner. 

Greg in Canada

WOW-- I thought that if I cut the price until I bleed, it would be GONE! How about if I open up to "Will Trade" for a vintage midget or sprint car? Maybe something else? I REALLY do not need any more cars at all...  So I am not sure why I am even doing this. BUT, I do not fit in the March. My feet are too dang big and I am too tall, my shoulders dont fit under the down-tubes.!